Club Touareg Forum banner

Tow GTR with 2013 Touareg??

2K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  Dallas J 
#1 ·
Ok.

I am fast approaching my move date and I was planning on towing the GTR with the treg. I am looking at uhauls website and there's a couple of concerns for me:

1. They mention they will not rent to a non-hardtop SUV/CUV - has anybody had an issue with this? I have the panoramic.

2. Looking at the numbers, I will be right at 6060 lbs with the uhaul trailer. They mention the max towing weight is 80% of GVWR... which for us is 4711 lbs right? That puts me at 77%, just under the minimum, you guys think this is an issue?

3. No mention of tongue weight... issue?

Thanks for the help fellas.

#2 ·
Rent and haul-away. Forget all that mumbo-jumbo. Those buffoons at the UHaul you go to won't know anything other than which credit card you'll be swiping to pay for the rental and entering all the data correctly into the computer and making sure to give you a copy of your rental agreement.

NO issues with towing or tongue weight.

Oh yeah, I had read that drinking is bad, so I quit reading.

#5 ·
Excuse my ignorance but are we talking about a $100K+ Nissan GT-R? I wouldn't let a U-haul trailer anywhere near it. Hire a reliable driver, or better yet an enclosed truck & driver experienced in transporting vehicles.

#7 ·
Not meaning to be smug. I didn't mean buy a trailer. There are professional car haulers who have liability insurance, enclosed trailers, etc and do this for hire. New car dealers always have contacts in that line of work that they trust because they swap vehicles with other dealers all the time, sometimes hundreds of miles away.

Whatever you decide, hope it works out ok.

#9 ·
When I bought my new 2012 Touareg, it was at a dealer 150 miles away. I told my dealer I wanted it trucked here, not driven. They didn't even blink. It was here safe and sound in 2 days. This was in the middle of winter and I didn't want it driven through the snow and ice over the Cascades.

Anyway if you do the u-haul, make sure your liability insurance covers you. They might want you to buy a special endorsement or rider for the trailered rig.

#10 ·
Towing a GTR isnt anything more special than any other car. Make sure you have your weights balance (plenty of internet guides for this, look for pdfs and not forum dialog) and you'll be just fine.

What I'd worry about more is clean roads and rock spray from the Treg. The front of my Evo looks very worn after a few years of towing from the rock spray of my Jeep GC CRD. Either a rock guard attached to the hitch or an air damn on the trailer would help heaps in protecting the paint.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.