Thule XL Summit snow chains - I got cocky - Club Touareg Forums

post #1 of 4 Old 01-17-2017 Thread Starter
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2011 Hybrid
Second Vehicle: Still looking
Thule XL Summit snow chains - I got cocky

Now I'm the first to admit that I have pretty much zero experience driving in the snow, it's 3-1/2 hours away so I don't get up there much especially in the winter. I never had a vehicle I wanted to drive in the snow anyway, but I have the Touareg now and driving in the snow is one of the reasons I bought it.

About two years ago I purchased the Thule XL Summit chains and did a test fit at home... 2 years ago so they sat there until a couple of days ago when I decided I wanted to leave at 3am and drive to Yosemite to photograph the tunnel view at sunrise. Made it there no problem, actually even though there were signs saying chains required I never used mine (I intended too though). There seemed to be people without snow tires driving around as well as snow tires and people driving with chains. I was the one without chains and my newish all weather tires and really had no issues. But I had the chains with me so I wanted to put them on and see how it went.

According to the instructions, for my size tires and the particular model I bought I don't need to remove any of the adjuster bolts, so I didn't. I drove down the road for about a mile and pulled over to take in another view and thought something was weird.. No chains. Both fell off about 10 feet from where I started. Lucky for me traffic was super light and my expensive chains were pretty much both at the same spot in the middle of the road. Messed around with them to make sure there were installed correctly and yes it seems they were according to the instructions. Tried again and sure another again one flew off, but I was watching this time and was able to retrieve it.

Yesterday I took all of the adjusters off and started from scratch when I got home. Drove up to a spot near home where I could test them out. To me, it seems like I needed two adjusters on each tire, not the 4 the instructions tell me to have. I used two and drove the heck out of it around the parking lot and up and down the street at up to 30mph for a few miles and they didn't come off. So.. I don't know. They seem to be adjusted right, I have two less adjusters than the instructions say I should have for my tire size and they seem to be staying on through turns, acceleration, stops and straight line driving.

Not sure I fully trust them though, but I don't drive in the snow enough to justify buying snow tires and rims. So, I guess I'll just need to see what happens next time...

Here's a picture of one installed before it flew off for the first time.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3...0FhX0RiYW8xSm8
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 3 Weeks Ago

nice pica shared...
post #3 of 4 Old 3 Weeks Ago
Touareg Guru

Was someone else was driving your car whilst you watched the chain fall off or has your car been "Googled" and now self drives??!!

Good - and honest - write up by the way.

Excellent Wikipedia info on all models:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Buying or just bought a T1 or a T2? ESSENTIAL READING:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Useful tip! Search this forum using Google or Bing by typing in site:
color="black"> word word word

post #4 of 4 Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2011 Hybrid
Second Vehicle: Still looking
We'll OK, I didn't actually see them depart the wheel but I did observe then trying to catch up in my rear view mirror.😃

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode