t3 lift interest? - Club Touareg Forums

post #1 of 25 Old 03-21-2016 Thread Starter
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2012 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: Still looking
t3 lift interest?

Looking at having a custom 2 inch lift built for t3 steel sprung tregs...I want to go with strut style spacer because i want to retain ride quality of stock springs i like the stock ride.

I have a very good fabrication shop in mind and have been in talks, they are pretty busy right now so really just want to see how many t3 owners are looking for something similar....maybe i can show him it might be worth more then just one lift sale.

this should give us a nice air sprung look and more aggressive stance with bigger ats.

touareg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 03-22-2016
Touareg Enthusiast

Second Vehicle: is not a VW
I'm interested, but there's more to a lift than just the height. Would like to hear from the 'designer' about geometry changes/corrections and the like first.
post #3 of 25 Old 03-22-2016
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2011 V6 FSI
Second Vehicle: VW 2
tdimark69
Why would you ever want to increase the lift?
The Touareg is not some insensitive, archaic, pathetic excuse for a truck. If the tightening of the nuts on the front wheels have an effect on the vibration/no vibration issues, what do you think will happen when you increase the lift without dealing with other suspension mods and still want to keep the ride quality. The factory spends millions on design/engineering so we can have the right amount of ride quality/performance/cost/serviceability, etc, etc...
increasing ride height WILL change ride quality, stress on CV joints, reducing articulation, polar inertia will change, anti dive/anti squat attitudes will change, not to mention possible bump steer issues. If all these items and more, is taken into account then you could have a properly set up Touareg. These Touaregs are fully independent, multilink suspension setup, not some solid axle where the body is lifted and the central diff is in the exact same height!!! Smart??!! I think not. If you looking for increased ground clearance because the body is grounding out on rocks, mud, etc... then increase the sidewall ratio on tyres. add skid plates if required

ShadowImg,
You are correct in having a bit of reluctance in adjusting suspension, ride height, etc...!

post #4 of 25 Old 03-22-2016
Touareg Enthusiast

Remember though that for the most part we aren't capable of going for bigger sidewall tires with the suspension as it sits. Though I'm not sure 2" vertical will help much, because I think we're restricted by the F/R wheel arch clearance.

It's a shame we can't get 16" wheels over the front brakes, cause I think that would probably help more than most other things.

That all said, the air suspension models do go up higher than the steel suspension, so there should be some level of lift allowed there in the natural setup. I'm guessing it's closer to 1" though. Would be interesting to measure (and look at other geometry differences in the air susp setup)
post #5 of 25 Old 03-22-2016
Touareg Enthusiast

Second Vehicle: 2010 V6 TDI
The models that have air suspension have a max clearance of around 11" at extra offroad level and I think closer to 10" at normal offroad level. Provided that the axles are the same then it should be able to handle a 1.5 to 2" lift. I just wonder how quickly the CV joints will wear out if the axles are constantly extended to that height.

I think it would be cool for someone to offer a couple options like 1", 1.5" and 2". I feel like there would be less demand for the 2" version but a lot of interest at the 1 or 1.5" height.

2012 Dark Flint Metallic Touareg TDI Exec
2010 Sapphire Blue Pearl Touareg TDI Lux Limited
post #6 of 25 Old 03-22-2016
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2004 V6
Second Vehicle: VW 2
Stock steel and air ride height is not equal. I can't find the numbers now, but I just had them for wheel alignment. The expedition steel version had a substantial higher ground clearance. Maybe you can OEM a higher ride?

There's also references to a "heavy duty suspension" in ETKA.

Found the measurements:
513 +/- 10 mm - 1BA Steel
488 +/- 10 mm - 1BE Steel
538 +20 / -15 mm - Expedition Steel
497 +/- 3 mm - 1BK Air
477+/ 10 mm - 2MA Air

This is not ground clearance, but another way of measuring. Maybe tire size affects this as well?
post #7 of 25 Old 03-22-2016 Thread Starter
Touareg Enthusiast

gaza what i do with my touareg is my business, you dont want a lift thats fine i dont need a lecture....

Im pretty sure all touaregs have the same cvs and arms ect as it just makes economical sense...the air can lift more then 2 inches i believe it...put the t3 on a hoist and just watch how much suspension drops before its lifted.

thanks isagen do you happen to have part numbers for the bigger shocks? that would be a better way to go...but may be problematic getting them on this side of the pond

touareg
post #8 of 25 Old 03-22-2016
Touareg Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by iSagen View Post
Stock steel and air ride height is not equal. I can't find the numbers now, but I just had them for wheel alignment. The expedition steel version had a substantial higher ground clearance. Maybe you can OEM a higher ride?

There's also references to a "heavy duty suspension" in ETKA.

Found the measurements:
513 +/- 10 mm - 1BA Steel
488 +/- 10 mm - 1BE Steel
538 +20 / -15 mm - Expedition Steel
497 +/- 3 mm - 1BK Air
477+/ 10 mm - 2MA Air

This is not ground clearance, but another way of measuring. Maybe tire size affects this as well?
A common measure is from wheel center line to bottom of wheel arch, though I'm not sure if that's being used here.
post #9 of 25 Old 03-23-2016 Thread Starter
Touareg Enthusiast

fyi for haters...there are already is a few t2s steel sprung tregs riding 2 inch spring spacer lifts

touareg
post #10 of 25 Old 03-23-2016
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2008 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: Can't afford one
For those who have not seen it, these are my experiences with lifts on my steel sprung T2........

Suspension Upgrade steel T2 TDi

FWIW, I have done 60,000 in 18 months with a lift fitted in one shape or form with no suspension related mechanical issues, I have read somewhere that if the lift is kept to no more than 2" you will not be compromising the design tolerances of the suspension and drive gear.

Not much is ever said on this but I believe with air suspension in the off-road setting the extra height is achieved by reduced suspension travel which translates in a much bumpier ride.

BTW, I much prefer obtaining a lift by other means than the fitting of spring spacers, rears work out OK as the spacer is mounted above the spring mount but as the fronts are mounted under the spring so compromises some of the spring travel resulting in some loss of that initial variable spring compression which takes some of the bump harshness out of the suspension.

tonyB

MY08 V6TDi, Campanella White, Enhancements: RNS 510 Nav + Bluetooth, Twin Batteries, Paddle Shifters, Steinbauer Power Module, Seikel Suspension, underbody alloy protection plates, 18" Road Tyres, 17" ATM Off-road Tyres, 3 X Full Size Spares, OEM Roof Bars, OEM Tow Pack, OEM LED load Module, Red Arc Tow Pro Elite Brake Controller, Icom IC-440 UHF + Roof Mounted Antenna, Great White LED Light Bar, Brembo 6 Spot 17Z Front Brake Upgrade .

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode