t3 lift interest? - Page 2 - Club Touareg Forums

post #11 of 25 Old 03-23-2016
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2008 V8
Second Vehicle: Other
Not really wanted an internet argument, but "lifting" an independent suspension vehicle will NOT cause bump steer. That is usually a result of a solid axle vehicle and has to do with the track bar (aka pan hard rod) not being parallel to the steering rod.

As for CV joints, bushing wear and the other worries.... Well, you might be right. But it might also take 500,000 miles to find out. :- /

I don't know how similar the T2s are underneath, but I always thought if you could drop (or lift, depending on your point of view) the suspension subframes, you would have an easier time. The shock mounts that attach to the body would have to have spacers, too. And you'd have to extend brake lines, wiring, steering hoses/steering wheel. But you would retain the factory geometry as far as "normal" range of travel.

Unfortunately, most people who own these beasts do not off-road with them like those who own Toyotas or Jeeps, so there will never be robust aftermarket support. A shame, really.

2008 V8
No VCDS? Get it here:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 25 Old 03-23-2016
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2012 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: is not a VW
You definitely get bump steer in independent suspensions. Any time the control arm arc does not match the tie rod arc, you will have bump steer issues. Changing mounting points of any components will definitely alter those arcs. It's common to use a modified tie rod end to compensate for the arc mismatch to solve it.
post #13 of 25 Old 03-23-2016
Touareg Enthusiast

Second Vehicle: 2010 V6 TDI
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdimark69 View Post
thanks isagen do you happen to have part numbers for the bigger shocks? that would be a better way to go...but may be problematic getting them on this side of the pond
Here is a LINK to the page that shows the part numbers for the different suspension options. The one you would want for the shocks is 0YB (Tdi Engine) and -1BB (Rough Road Suspension).

I googled a few of the part numbers and they appear to be orderable here in the US.

I did some googling and found out the normal suspension has 214mm of ground clearance and the Expedition model with the steel suspension has 224mm. So fitting those springs may not be that beneficial but I would think the rough road shocks would be helpful.

2012 Dark Flint Metallic Touareg TDI Exec
2010 Sapphire Blue Pearl Touareg TDI Lux Limited

post #14 of 25 Old 03-23-2016
Touareg Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowImg View Post
You definitely get bump steer in independent suspensions. Any time the control arm arc does not match the tie rod arc, you will have bump steer issues. Changing mounting points of any components will definitely alter those arcs. It's common to use a modified tie rod end to compensate for the arc mismatch to solve it.
Got it. But if one just installs "spacers" in the shocks, that wouldn't mess with the geometry, right? Only installing new control arms would ruin the factory geometry, not just moving them "down".

If one was to space the subframe, hopefully the steering rack would "come along for the ride", too.

2008 V8
No VCDS? Get it here:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #15 of 25 Old 03-23-2016
Touareg Enthusiast

Second Vehicle: is not a VW
Quote:
Originally Posted by FSJ Guy View Post
Got it. But if one just installs "spacers" in the shocks, that wouldn't mess with the geometry, right? Only installing new control arms would ruin the factory geometry, not just moving them "down".

If one was to space the subframe, hopefully the steering rack would "come along for the ride", too.
It could - it depends a lot on the setup. If you consider a basic A arm, strut + spring to the outside, then you add a 2" block to the top of the strut mount and lower the entire assembly, you move the entire arc travel down 2" from center. Due to other geometry points though, you probably also turn it in a positive camber fashion a bit. Both of those will make it so the tie rod (and axle) at suspension rest is at a different angle, but also so that travel in both directions is a somewhat different position.

You are right if you can space the subframe and steering rack the same that it would resolve it, but it's very unusual to have a method to do that.

That said, shouldn't be a big deal in this case, given that there is some level of design to allow for higher operation at some speeds.
post #16 of 25 Old 03-23-2016
Touareg Mechanic

"One of these days", I'd like to investigate dropping the front and rear subframes for some additional list on my T2. But I think that would involve some complicated fabrication work for spacers for the top shock mounts which I think are bolted to the unibody framework.

Probably, for all that hassle, I should just get a Rubicon Hard Rock edition. But it's just not as nice as the inside of the Touareg. LOL!!

2008 V8
No VCDS? Get it here:
post #17 of 25 Old 12-14-2016 Thread Starter
Touareg Enthusiast

Second Vehicle: Still looking
well i may have found what i want....now to bring myself to spend the coin

Lift kit Touareg - Seikel

touareg
post #18 of 25 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Just bought a 17' Wolfsburg Edition Touareg. Anyone know about those spacer kits? Reliability? Quality? There is a company I found out of Germany called SPACCER, gain about 2" with them. Any advice would be appreciated, thanks.
post #19 of 25 Old 4 Weeks Ago
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2008 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: Can't afford one
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdimark69 View Post
well i may have found what i want....now to bring myself to spend the coin

Lift kit Touareg - Seikel
AFAIK, the Seikel is the only off the shelf, offroad/lift kit available for the Touareg.

After many trials and tribulations with mods to my steel suspension which can be read here, Suspension Upgrade steel T2 TDi last year I sourced a Seikel kit which has seen some 40K+ kms of various driving conditions from towing a full size van to off road to high speed freeway to mundane day to day driving and I am happy to say that the Seikel suspension has met my expectations, resulting in a modest lift (30-35mm) and a little firmer ride which displays little body roll and entices spirited driving.
If you can overlook the high cost of the kit ($A4.5k+fitting), it is a vast improvement to the OEM suspension especially if you tow or venture off road occasionally, can recommend!

TonyB

MY08 V6TDi, Campanella White, Enhancements: RNS 510 Nav + Bluetooth, Twin Batteries, Paddle Shifters, Steinbauer Power Module, Seikel Suspension, underbody alloy protection plates, 18" Road Tyres, 17" ATM Off-road Tyres, 3 X Full Size Spares, OEM Roof Bars, OEM Tow Pack, OEM LED load Module, Red Arc Tow Pro Elite Brake Controller, Icom IC-440 UHF + Roof Mounted Antenna, Great White LED Light Bar, Brembo 6 Spot 17Z Front Brake Upgrade .
post #20 of 25 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Touareg: Still looking
Second Vehicle: Still looking
I would be interested in a T3 system as well

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode