Sway control without weight distribution - Page 8 - Club Touareg Forums

post #71 of 79 Old 04-18-2015
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2016 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: a bicycle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amphicar770 View Post
Just reading through this old thread and have to say it is a clear as mud! Much of the confusion is that some people are recommending / others discouraging use of anti-sway and things like Pro-Ride. Making it worse is that the answer seems to be different for air vs steel suspension but it is not always clear which setup is being discussed.

In my case, looking at using my '04 Treg V8 with Air Suspension for occasional towing of a 24' Featherlite car hauler @ 3,500 lbs. Curb weight of vehicle being towed is 2,400 lbs.

Given that config, should I be adding anything beyond the electronic brake controller?

Thanks.
I wouldn't bother. Suggest try it as is (brake controller is a no brainer of course). My Treg (V10 with air)with ESP handles the caravan (TT) 3300kg with no problems. Admittedly the van also has Alko ESC but the previous van did not. Mind you I travel at around 90kph (up to 100+ if passing). From what I read here most US treggers seem to travel much faster.
Latest trip was 20000-odd klms with not the slightest feeling of unease.
Hope this helps. Cheers, Dub

MY16 V6 TDI (180kw) Light Silver
20'6" Sunland Patriot off-road caravan

Sold...MY08 V10TDI - Galapagos Anthracite Metallic, Sioux Napa Leather, Piano black inserts

Sold...MY08 2.0TDI DSG Golf
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #72 of 79 Old 04-09-2016

Touareg: 2013 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: Still looking
Ok, I know this can be a touchy subject but I thought I would throw this one out there and see what discussion develops.

Before we start, a little about me. I have quite a bit of towing experience (decades + 1000's of miles) with utility and travel trailers with and without WD. I'm a mechanical engineer with some professional experience testing military trailers.

I have a 2013 T-reg TDI towing an Airstream 16 foot Sport. The trailer is 2860 lbs dry, 3500 lb GTW and 350 lb dry tongue weight. I towed last year without any WD hitch without problems. Yes, the T-reg squats in the back a bit but the handling seems very acceptable, even in cross-winds that I've encountered during high cross-wind warnings. I keep the T-reg as empty of gear in the back as possible (maybe 150-200 lbs max). I'm surprised how stable this combination is when being passed or passing tractor-trailer and other much larger RV's.

I have an old Reese Strait-Line from our 1963 Airstream but it has 750 lb bars and I feel it's much too stiff for the new Airstream. Here are photos with the Reese installed.

Comparing our new setup (T-reg/16' Airstream) to our old setup (2010 Explorer/19' Airstream) The T-reg handles better without WD than the Explorer did with WD. The trailers are about the same weight and not too much different in length so I believe the primary difference is the tow vehicle (low profile tires, better suspension, shorter rear overhang, etc).

As I see it the trailer is short, the T-reg is stable - do I really need a WD hitch and/or sway control?
post #73 of 79 Old 04-09-2016

post #74 of 79 Old 04-10-2016

Here are the photos:

post #75 of 79 Old 04-10-2016
Administrator

Second Vehicle: too many to list
For a 16' airstream on the T3 I would personally use no aids of any kind. I'd minimize payload in the T3 (which you've done) ensure the weight inside the TT is well distributed, and aim to get everything as level as possible.

Great looking combo you've got there, enjoy!

-------------------------------------------------
2013 Touareg TDI Black Pearl / Titan Black
--PREVIOUS TOUAREGS:
'09 TDI, '07 V8 FSI, '04 V10 TDI, '04 VR6
post #76 of 79 Old 04-10-2016

Thanks for the input! That's what I'm inclined to do.

Matt
post #77 of 79 Old 04-15-2016

Touareg: 2016 V6 FSI
The 2016 Touareg Owner's Manual seems to have the following limitations for towing: total weight of 7,700 lbs, tonque weight of 626 lbs, maximum ball diameter of only 2", no more than a Class III hitch, no load leveling or weight distribution hitch. While the 7,700 lbs is impressive, what kind of travel trailer could one really two with all the other noted restrictions? Thank you.
post #78 of 79 Old 07-20-2016

Touareg: 2006 V10 TDI
Second Vehicle: 2006 V10 TDI
Guys,

Thanks for the great thread. I have a 06 V10 with air suspension and a recently purchased 06 Airstream Safari 25'. I won't use a WD hitch or friction sway bars based on what I am reading here. Is a trailer brake installed in the Touareg a no brainer/ must have? and where is the best place to go to get that installed?

Thanks!

Wade
post #79 of 79 Old 07-20-2016
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2008 V8
Second Vehicle: 2007 V6
Garage
Wade, my opinion:

OK, I have not read this entire thread...but I would use friction sway (honestly don't know why you wouldn't unless you are towing less than 16'). It improves sway and feels more tight in the straightaways. BUT you MUST remember to take it off before you back up or maneuver with tight low speed turns.

Because you have air I would agree on skipping the WD.

I would get a shortened hitch shank that allows the ball to be as close as reasonable to the rear axle. Don't need a long shank without WD. A long shank will in essence increase your rear overhang. Short overhang = good stability. Long overhand = more downward leverage on rear axle. WD has it for leverage (bars supposedly create tension that uses this length for upward force-not an engineer my lame understanding), but I am not sure it really does much for WD either...

Get a brake controller...it would be illegal for you to tow without (given the trailer weight). Install is something I never did, I made the dealer do it. This is the only non-negotiable point however, the other points could be debated for pages and pages as many an RVer has his or her own opinion on things.

Happy camping!
The Following User Says Thank You to Spiegelglatt For This Useful Post:
skeels (07-20-2016)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode