Sway control without weight distribution - Page 7 - Club Touareg Forums

post #61 of 79 Old 11-01-2010
Still Plays With Cars

Touareg: 2006 V8
Second Vehicle: 2006 V10 TDI
Garage
Jason, if your rear end is still squatting with a WD hitch, your hitch is not adjusted properly. Measure from the ground to the top of the wheel arch for front and back and capture before and after measurements. I was able to dial in my Touareg and large Airstream (approx 6800 dry, 850 tongue) with my WD hitch and get the touareg leveled back to 1/2 inch to 1" of original values. A little time down at the CAT scales would probably get it closer than that.

// 06 V10 TDI, Reflex Silver/Teak--Loaded

// 06 V8, Campy White/Teak--Air--DVD NAV--Backup Cam--Kessy--Winter--Xenon--RDL--Factory Hitch--Dakar Offroad Front Skid Plate
// 08 27' Airstream International CCD :: Airforums.com Member - "Westfalia"
// 77 VW Transporter Westfalia P21 Weekender, 2.0L Fuel Injection, Pastel Weiß/Orange Plaid--STOCK

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-\ CLUB TOUAREG ADMINISTRATOR -\
Please read our Club Touareg
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and our

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 79 Old 04-07-2011

Touareg: 2006 V10 TDI
Second Vehicle: Still looking
An expensive but I think a very viable option is something I have used for a couple of years on my 31' Class C RV. It is called a Trailer-Toad. This is classified as a hitch extension. It is basically a 3500lb torsion axle. It uses a draw bar to connect to the receiver of the tow vehicle. The trailer connects to a weight distribution hitch mounted on the toad. It articulates up and down and the axle pivots side to side. I have towed several trailers with my RV using this unit and it is a godsend. No sway, no bounce from the trailer hitting bumps and dips and it pushes the pivot point back making it easier to navigate and such.

I have not used mine with my '06 V10 yet but anticipate doing so for a trip to Atlanta at the beginning of May. I will report back. I expect it to work perfectly. It wouldn't put any abnormal stress on the hitch like a WD hitch would. The only area it takes special steps is for backing up. You have to lock it from pivoting when backing up and then just unpin it to go forward again.

They are on the expensive end but not much different from a Hensley. Since it has a weight distribution hitch it controls sway fine. I don't anticipate using it for pulling the trailer to local events but it might be an awesome way to go for those who want to be extra prepared and safe.

I am not affiliated with Trailer-toad but have owned two of their units in the past 3 years with great success. The site is TrailerToad.com.

Keath
'06 V10 TDI (TV)
'02 Corvette Z06 (RC)
'06 Honda Element (WC)
'08 31' Forest River RV (RV)
'99 Ford F250 (TV) (For Sale (replaced by Touareg))
'99 Nissan Sentra (DD) (For Sale (replaced by Touareg))
post #63 of 79 Old 06-30-2011

well i have purchased a 2006 touareg with air susp and a v8 to pull my rv that I am ready to buy. I am so confused on sway and WD hitches. I dont feel I need a WD hitch as well as the warning not to use on, but am curious as to sway control. my trailer is a 2011 Coachman freedom express 232rbs this is a lightweight aerodynamic trailer.
specs as follows:
hitch weight 363
unloaded weight 3847
carrying capacity 2705
exterior length including hitch 26'4"
i hope this is enough info to generate a few good responses. you guys here are amazing with some of the postings i read here concerning towing. i want to keep this simple and I think this is the place to get answers. thanks

Roger

2006 Touareg V8/Air/Tow
2001 VW Golf 1.8T Sold to Good friend

Wife
2008 Audi A4 s-line
Daughter
2005 VW Jetta 2.0
Son
2003 VW Golf 2.0 wrecked again.. and totaled
now..2004 Passat 1.8T

post #64 of 79 Old 07-01-2011

That is the most crazy thing i have ever seen , and yet very interesting. wow what setup. it seems as though it would work great.

Roger

2006 Touareg V8/Air/Tow
2001 VW Golf 1.8T Sold to Good friend

Wife
2008 Audi A4 s-line
Daughter
2005 VW Jetta 2.0
Son
2003 VW Golf 2.0 wrecked again.. and totaled
now..2004 Passat 1.8T
post #65 of 79 Old 07-03-2011

Hi NuttinButTDI,
I loved your last year (06-02-2010) calculations and references to the J2807 new towing parameters. I am interested to have details of your calculations for the Pounds/Torque in 1st gear: Pounds/HP in 6th gear: ratio.
My TV is an allroad 2003 and i have special hitch imported from Westfalia, Germany, rated for the AR at 5 070 lb (draw). THe engine is chipped to 305 hp and 355 lb-pi torque. the allroad has a very good final differential ratio (4,3) which should make it a very good TV. it also as an air suspension (which was standard on allroad). So with your held from your spreadsheets and my TV figures, i should be able to figure out what i need as an WD and Sway Control hitch as well as the appropriale travel trailer.
Ciao !!! and thanks in advance for your help
post #66 of 79 Old 11-20-2012

Touareg: 2013 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: Other
Just installed the Andersen WD hitch on my 2010 19-ft. Flying Cloud (to my 2013 Touareg); Seems to have gone well, but if you're thinking about doing this, you'll discover that Airstream runs a propane line on the bottom of the right frame arm, exactly where the the 3-inch frame bracket is supposed to bolt. The bracket bolt won't work there, unless you cut the propane line clips, pull the line (carefully) down and out of the way, so that the bottom bolt of the Andersen frame bracket will fit. It worked well, thanks to Paul at PTO auto who is really good with welding. Because the 3-inch airstream frames are open C-frames, you must weld the frame bracket in place, a process very clearly shown in the Andersen manual. They just won't hold if you only use one set screw.
Here's how my installation looks. First picture is the left side, second right side (with the propane line), third the overall Anderson install. In the first two pictures, you can see the welds, which have been painted over in black.

post #67 of 79 Old 03-14-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by quoyle View Post
Just installed the Andersen WD hitch on my 2010 19-ft. Flying Cloud (to my 2013 Touareg); Seems to have gone well, but if you're thinking about doing this, you'll discover that Airstream runs a propane line on the bottom of the right frame arm, exactly where the the 3-inch frame bracket is supposed to bolt. The bracket bolt won't work there, unless you cut the propane line clips, pull the line (carefully) down and out of the way, so that the bottom bolt of the Andersen frame bracket will fit. It worked well, thanks to Paul at PTO auto who is really good with welding. Because the 3-inch airstream frames are open C-frames, you must weld the frame bracket in place, a process very clearly shown in the Andersen manual. They just won't hold if you only use one set screw.
Here's how my installation looks. First picture is the left side, second right side (with the propane line), third the overall Anderson install. In the first two pictures, you can see the welds, which have been painted over in black.

How is your Andersen hitch working out? I just purchased a 2013 Touareg TDI and am pulling a Airstream Sport 22. I have been going back and forth between the Andersen and the EAZ WD hitches. Another question, on my Sport 22 the frame is 4" and is not a open C frame. I wonder if welding would still be necessary

thanks!
post #68 of 79 Old 04-27-2013

Second Vehicle: 2012 V6 TDI
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickm View Post
As a follow up I tow my latest camper (a Cougar 304 BHS...>33', >10,000lbs) with an F250 diesel. No WD (doesn't need it as the F250 doesn't compress at all under this load) and 1 friction unit.

To be honest with you I'm still unconvinced of the effectiveness of any anti-sway system, do you really think a couple of little bars will stop >10K lbs from swaying?

I think its all in proper setup (make sure your hitch height is correct for your ball height, that you distribute weight properly, that you have >15% of total weight as tongue weight) etc..
I have a handful of tows now on my touareg pulling a 21 foot travel trailer, and I am convinced that the words above now match my personal experiences... A big rig trying to pass me doing 55 MPH while they blow by in a head wind at 65 or 70 with my Equalizer hitch is a push pull PIA, the anti sway tries to drive the back end of the car away from the truck and drives the front end of the car into the truck, to the left. It's nasty, the correction necessary at the steering wheel with that equalizer hitch.

The vehicle tows much much better with a fair amount of tongue weight (I run about 10-15 gallons of water in my clean water tank for tongue weight to get me to a hitch weight of about 400 pounds on a 3600 # trailer, and no equalizer or anti sway bar. The Touaregs software appears to do an amazing job.

I don't have problems with the front end lifting up much if at all with this set up, but I store nothing in the trunk of the Touareg, it all goes in the travel trailer, to keep excess weight off the rear springs.

YMMVm but i must say, the Touareg tows great, I am glad I went with it as my tow vehicle for my travel trailer, it does a remarkable job in TDI format.
post #69 of 79 Old 06-26-2014

Touareg: 2009 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: Other
I have to admit I'm a bit overwhelmed by all of this, but I am about to pick up a 22' VRV <4000 lb. toyhauler / trailer to haul bikes with and camp in. I picked this trailer as at full capacity it is within the OEM specs (<700 lb. hitch weight and <7k lbs loaded). I plan to go pick the trailer up tomorrow and may use the OEM hitch and ball, but the dealer installs Equ-i-lizer hitches and I'm curious if I should go that route or hold off and get a Husky Center Line or EAZ-Lift instead. I have an '09 with steel suspension and would love to hear thoughts from those here as to the ideal setup.
post #70 of 79 Old 04-17-2015
Touareg Enthusiast

Just reading through this old thread and have to say it is a clear as mud! Much of the confusion is that some people are recommending / others discouraging use of anti-sway and things like Pro-Ride. Making it worse is that the answer seems to be different for air vs steel suspension but it is not always clear which setup is being discussed.

In my case, looking at using my '04 Treg V8 with Air Suspension for occasional towing of a 24' Featherlite car hauler @ 3,500 lbs. Curb weight of vehicle being towed is 2,400 lbs.

Given that config, should I be adding anything beyond the electronic brake controller?

Thanks.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode