Sway control without weight distribution - Page 6 - Club Touareg Forums

post #51 of 79 Old 06-08-2010 Thread Starter
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2006 V10 TDI
Attachments

Here are pdfs of the tabs from the spreadsheet for your viewing pleasure. Again, if would like an actual copy of excel to see the formulas and for your own amusement feel free to drop me a pm with an email address.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf CT - Touareg Towing - Summary Tab.pdf (15.6 KB, 287 views)
File Type: pdf CT - Touareg Towing - Towing Data Calcs Tab.pdf (56.1 KB, 240 views)
File Type: pdf CT - Touareg Towing - TWR and RGAW Tab.pdf (43.5 KB, 293 views)
File Type: pdf CT - Touareg Towing - Weigh Scale Tab.pdf (7.8 KB, 210 views)

Sold: 2006 Touareg V10 TDi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 79 Old 08-23-2010 Thread Starter
Touareg Enthusiast

I just wanted to follow up after now that the majority of our planned vacations are now over.

First, there is no substitute for proper loading of your CV. I have certainly noticed some CV’s that are grossly over weighted at the rear (that is, either too much weight at the back of the tow vehicle and/or too much tongue weight) with or without weight distribution. We have weighed ourselves on several occasions and I am both happy with the results as well as I have impressed myself with the accuracy/forecast of my spreadsheet.

The Husky Centerline has proven to be a very good choice for us. I have found it to be very easy to use and I believe the centering force it creates works very well. I did notice at lower speeds (city driving) the Centerline began to make more noise as the paint wore at friction points on the lift brackets. From what I understand these friction points are not necessary for the system to operate and after lubricating them, the system has gone back to being silent with the exception of going outside the centering sweet spot.

The McKesh mirrors have been flawless except for a little user error when initially setting them up. I would suggest checking them for tightness every so often. Additionally, I was worried about both wear on the paint from the pads and/or attaching to the bottom of the door and have not seen any adverse affects (knock on wood).

I ended up buying a used roof top basket (Thule 840 Playpen) for the Touareg. I bought it to carry the full size spare when towing. I hope I never have to use the full size spare but we do some remote boondocking and the donut is not a viable CV option in my opinion.

When travelling loaded without a full tank of fresh water, our trailer has averaged ~4200-4300 lbs with a tongue weight in the ~600 lb range. It should not come as any surprise that the Touareg has managed everything we have thrown at it on our trips without breaking a sweat.

Our long term average mileage has been ~19L/100km of mixed terrain (highway, gravel, and some roads in Saskatchewan that are neither) and mixed weather conditions. The worst mileage (which pushed the high end of the 20’s) was a 4 hour stretch travelling directly into ~60-80 km/hr head winds towards a very dark and ominous thunder storm.

Our average highway speeds have been in the ~100-110 km/hr (60’s mph) range depending on the posted speed limits of the highway.

Filling the Touareg has been another pleasurable experience compared to our QX4 as the QX4 devoured Premium at an alarming rate and had a relatively undersized fuel tank. I keep both a set of “fuelling” gloves and Stanadyne Lubricity Formula in the back of the Touareg. The combination of abundant towing power, the price of diesel being some 20-25% cheaper than Premium, better (relative) gas mileage, and larger fuel tank made the inconsequential hunt for diesel stations, well, trivial. On one trips we noticed the DPF regenerate twice immediately after refuelings and I have been watching it closely.

Perhaps one should enjoy the drive enough not to be bothered with passing those who don’t understand constant speed or perhaps prefer to “Sunday drive” every day of the week. On the occasional passing maneuver the Touareg surprised both me and the vehicle being overtaken with its ability to leap frog. I love the sound of the engine during passing maneuvers… actually I love the whole passing experience… the down shift, the change in sound as the turbos unleash the Touareg’s hidden beast, and the heave as the Touareg defies Newton, Einstein, and the rest of the purveyors of laws of physics.

Simply put I chose the Touareg V10 TDi based on its stats and features for dual duty – daily driver and tractor and I have thoroughly enjoyed it for both.

“East bound and down, loaded up and truckin'”

Sold: 2006 Touareg V10 TDi
post #53 of 79 Old 08-23-2010
Administrator

Touareg: 2013 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: too many to list
THe Touareg is one heck of a towing machine...that said I'm still not convinced any of the current anti-sway systems can actually stop or prevent sway -especially the friction sway units.

I couldn't agree more with your statement around proper weight setup and loading -I think a proper setup is critical and imo all you need. I just came back from a trip to Maine, towing my 34' 10K lbs travel trailer behind my F250 using only a simple ball receiver. Not even a hint of sway...the rear suspension of the F250 can handle the 1200# tongue weight easy so WD isn't needed in this case.

If you've got good weight loading, properly level TV and trailer heights, and if required weight distribution, then I think you're set! This has been my experience over many mile of travel trailer towing.

-------------------------------------------------
2013 Touareg TDI Black Pearl / Titan Black
--PREVIOUS TOUAREGS:
'09 TDI, '07 V8 FSI, '04 V10 TDI, '04 VR6

post #54 of 79 Old 10-24-2010

This has been an interesting thread for me. I am looking to make an offer Monday on either a 2007 V8 Touareg with steel suspension or a 2005 V8 Touareg with air suspension. What i have learned is that proper wieght distribution being key and that the proper amount of weight shift to the front wheels is good.

So, does air suspension help at all in getting the setup right? I can argue is not needed if you do the weight distribution right. If you don't do the distribution right, air suspension helps keep the car level, but the weight distribtion is still bad.

Please help me out because I will be buying one of these tomorrow. The '05 with air is considerably cheaper, but I gain the out of warranty air system to care for.

Thanks
SteveK-O
'98 Audi A4 V6 QMS
'01 VW Passat V6 4Motion
'05 Porsche Boxster S PASM+Chrono
'05 or '07 VW Touareg?
post #55 of 79 Old 10-24-2010

As i have been anxiously awaiting the board's collective wisdom on this, I have found another option: A 2007 V10 TDI with Air Suspension. This one is $10K more than the 2007 V8 with steel suspension.

I am now wary of the 2005 V8 with air as it is a low 2005 VIN number and may have some of the 2004 issues.

SteveK-O

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'12 Polaris 800 Rush Pro-R LE

'12 Polaris RZR S
'06 VW Touareg V10 TDI+Air Suspension

'01 VW Passat V6 30V 4Motion
'98 Audi A4 V6 30V Quattro+Manual+Sport
post #56 of 79 Old 10-24-2010
Administrator

Touareg: 2013 V6 TDI
You'll love the V10, towing or not.

As for WD vs no WD, all I can say is read through the threads, this topic has been discussed thoroughly and you should form your own opinion from all the discussions.

-------------------------------------------------
2013 Touareg TDI Black Pearl / Titan Black
--PREVIOUS TOUAREGS:
'09 TDI, '07 V8 FSI, '04 V10 TDI, '04 VR6
post #57 of 79 Old 10-24-2010
Touareg Enthusiast

Second Vehicle: is not a VW
I'm not sure what I like more, the V10 or the air suspension?! The air suspension is a big towing advantage. Not to mention the ride and the off road height. If it were me I'd go for V8 air suspension or the V10 air suspension.
post #58 of 79 Old 10-24-2010
Touareg Enthusiast

Just to chime in - I have an early build '05 v8 with air. Yes, it did have some initial issues, but the updating campaigns by VW have worked wonders. My egg has been worry free for quite some time now. If you're leaning towards the '05, ask a dealer to check if the alternator cable change and all of the computer updates have been performed. No matter which one you go with, get a VW/Fidelity extended warranty.

I pull a 3500lb 20' bow rider and a 5000lb 23' twin engined center console with my 'egg and it does far better than my previous vehicle - an Expedition with the 5.4L engine.
post #59 of 79 Old 10-25-2010

I tried to see and buy a 2007 V10 TDI with air today locally. Someone beat me to it.

So, I bought a 2006 V10 TDI that is over 1000 miles away and will have it shipped. It has only 26K miles, pretty low. I wanted one that could be certified, so I went for 06-07 instead of 05.

Thanks for the help on this. I will now try to bring this back to the original topic by saying I am going to try towing without a weight distribution hitch or anti-sway and see how it goes.

SteveK-O

'12 Polaris 800 Rush Pro-R LE

'12 Polaris RZR S
'06 VW Touareg V10 TDI+Air Suspension

'01 VW Passat V6 30V 4Motion
'98 Audi A4 V6 30V Quattro+Manual+Sport
post #60 of 79 Old 11-01-2010

Touareg: 2009 V6 TDI
I tow my race car/ open steel trailer combo (6,000 lbs approx) with a WD hitch set up...no problems towing at all.

Although, the rear does squat down lower than I'd like...I may look into some after market air-bags that go inside the coils, to help bring up the rear end.

Any suggestions?

Jason

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode