Sway control without weight distribution - Page 4 - Club Touareg Forums

post #31 of 79 Old 03-06-2010
Administrator

Touareg: 2013 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: too many to list
Quote:
Originally Posted by NuttinButTDi View Post
Well, I wished I had something significantly more and better to report.After significant time, phoning, and emailing I have gotten absolutely nowhere. The simple fact is that regardless of reasoning, VW will not expend any resources justifying or expanding on their statement in their owners manual regarding weight distribution. Further, VW acknowledged there may be a grey area between their owners manual and experienced recommended towing safety options.
<SNIP>

Sounds like you ended up where the rest of us did many years ago.

Don't overcomplicate things when it comes to tongue weight...get your TT on a scale and measure the tongue weight when its wet and loaded (ie: propane tanks, all of your gear etc). You'd be surprised how quickly a 500# dry tongue weight TT suddenly is up to 1000#.

As long as the measured number is less than 616 (or 770, or whatever your max is) you are fine. You can't "trick" tongue weight into being lighter with WD, in other words you can't take a 1000# tongue weight and use WD thinking "well its 1000# down and 1000# of counter force so net force is 0". If you overuse WD then you exceed tongue weight (albeit in an upward rather than a downward direction) and you can/will experience issues. Even a hitch on frame vehicle (like my Ford) cannot get around this...frames can bend just as a unibody attachment can bend.

All that said I'm sticking to what my many years and miles of towing with Touaregs has proven safe & solid:
-I don't tow > 25' length
-I use WD with my steel spring Treg
-I do not use WD with my air spring Treg
-I keep tongue weight at 10%-15% of overall TT weight (measured on a scale), and never ever ever exceed max recommended tongue wieght.

-------------------------------------------------
2013 Touareg TDI Black Pearl / Titan Black
--PREVIOUS TOUAREGS:
'09 TDI, '07 V8 FSI, '04 V10 TDI, '04 VR6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 79 Old 03-07-2010
Touareg Enthusiast

Towing

I use a Propride hitch.Mountains and hills are good.I have not had any problems since I started Airstreaming years ago.
With this hitch I have actually seen trucks pull towards me.I have not experienced any sway or bow wave from larger trucks since I have gotten this hitch.It is worth every penny spent to me.
I used an Equalizer hitch before this and it was a great hitch also.I did get sway from this one though but the larger passing vehicles were speeding very fast and it would happen very rarely.But it di happen with the equalizer hitch and that was enough for me.

2005 fully load V8 Touareg
2005 25'SS Airstream

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #33 of 79 Old 04-06-2010
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2010 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: Still looking
Time to update this thread with my info...

I too now tow a 25 foot Airstream Travel Trailer with a ProPride hitch thanks to many folks on both this forum, the Airstream forum, and TONS of research with hitch folks, other trailer owners, etc.

Life is good - and I've learned alot in regards to towing now with the "Touareg" that has been added to my base "Cayenne S" towing learning curve.

Biggest thing I hate to report is there are lots of "Lemmings" out there that on the Forums are afraid to disagree with others - kinda of a "Mob Rules" mentality with some bully's who think they are the smartest, know it all, etc.

Oh well, the facts are out there "Scully" - the facts just lurking to answer all your towing questions....

John "JFScheck" Scheck
TV = '11 F-350 King Ranch 6.7L 4x4 SB SRW - Forrest Green & Chaparral Leather
TT = '11 30 Classic Limited - Praline Leather & Hickory Wood
Hitch = ProPride "Pivot Point Projection" (3P) Hitch

"Enjoy life. There's plenty of time to be dead."
**I Love U.S.A.**

post #34 of 79 Old 04-06-2010
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: Still looking
John,

This may sound like a dumb question but if the 3P hitch locks out the pivot point where does the hitch pivot for turns? Maybe a link to show it in action?

Cogito Ergo Zoom!
I Think, therefore I go fast

'12 Grand Cherokee SRT8
'11 CC
'03 Boxster S
'08 Touareg V8 (sold)
'04 Cayenne TT (sold)
post #35 of 79 Old 04-06-2010
Touareg Enthusiast

3P

Videos and pics with a how to.
New Page 1

2005 fully load V8 Touareg
2005 25'SS Airstream

post #36 of 79 Old 04-06-2010
Touareg Enthusiast

Thanks, I also found this video that really explains it.

Cogito Ergo Zoom!
I Think, therefore I go fast

'12 Grand Cherokee SRT8
'11 CC
'03 Boxster S
'08 Touareg V8 (sold)
'04 Cayenne TT (sold)
post #37 of 79 Old 04-06-2010
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2010 V6 TDI
The first video is great (found it a few weeks back) but the Lego video Really Rocks! Now if we could just have one explaining "Weight Distribution" - its so much easier to understand via a demonstration vice words...

John "JFScheck" Scheck
TV = '11 F-350 King Ranch 6.7L 4x4 SB SRW - Forrest Green & Chaparral Leather
TT = '11 30 Classic Limited - Praline Leather & Hickory Wood
Hitch = ProPride "Pivot Point Projection" (3P) Hitch

"Enjoy life. There's plenty of time to be dead."
**I Love U.S.A.**
post #38 of 79 Old 04-08-2010 Thread Starter
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2006 V10 TDI
Sway control without weight distribution, maybe not.
I am currently working on something special... stayed tuned I will try and post shortly in time for trailer season as I know this is going to come up.

After much research, I have purchased a Husky Center Line hitch system with the 500-800 lb torsion bars. I will be setting this up myself shortly... again stay tuned.

Sold: 2006 Touareg V10 TDi
post #39 of 79 Old 05-09-2010

Any updates ??

I am looking to tow a 3300lb 8.5x20 race car trailer with my 2110 Touareg V6TDI and am very interested in your results...All of my race buddies think I am pushing it towing with a short wheelbase vehicle and recommend getting some sort of swy control at a minimum.

I am new to towing so any info will be quite useful...

BTW, I'm in Calgary too

Cheers

Peter
2010 Touareg V6 TDI Silver/Anthracite,
Sport Package, Tow Package
1970 Porsche 911 T/R Vintage Racer
post #40 of 79 Old 05-09-2010
Administrator

Touareg: 2013 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: too many to list
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage911 View Post
Any updates ??

I am looking to tow a 3300lb 8.5x20 race car trailer with my 2110 Touareg V6TDI and am very interested in your results...All of my race buddies think I am pushing it towing with a short wheelbase vehicle and recommend getting some sort of swy control at a minimum.

I am new to towing so any info will be quite useful...

BTW, I'm in Calgary too

Cheers
20' is a short trailer, the wheelbase is 110" so its not as short as it appears, remember the Treg has super short overhangs so it looks shorter than it is. It also has stability control systems that others are now advertising as "trailer sway control".

I'd be more worried about reaching your weight/payload limits, if your trailer alone is 3300#, add in your vehicle and spares and I'm not sure you're within max tow weight/max payload.

-------------------------------------------------
2013 Touareg TDI Black Pearl / Titan Black
--PREVIOUS TOUAREGS:
'09 TDI, '07 V8 FSI, '04 V10 TDI, '04 VR6

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode