Skid plate? - Club Touareg Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By myshadow

post #1 of 4 Old 01-13-2017 Thread Starter

Touareg: 2013 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: Still looking
Skid plate?

The story behind this one - Was attempting to get off a beach and up into the dunes in North Western Australia... Had to have a few goes at getting up there, but she got there... However, The reversing back whilst sitting on the sand seems to have taken it's toll, Ripped off the Rubber on the bottom of the Front bumper and messed up the plastic... Moral of the Story: Get a Skidplate before you go to the WA Outback.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170107_135037.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	536.0 KB
ID:	167858   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170114_091723.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	428.8 KB
ID:	167866  

Name:	IMG_20170107_135045.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	452.9 KB
ID:	167874   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170107_135052.jpg
Size:	469.3 KB
ID:	167882  

Name:	IMG_20170114_091752.jpg
Size:	391.5 KB
ID:	167890  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 01-13-2017
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2008 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: Can't afford one
Not too sure that an alloy skid plate would have made any difference in preventing the damage done to the cover behind bumper as it basically replaces the plastic under engine cover which in your case seems to still be intact.

Agree 100% with you that a skid plate (called bash plate downunder for our northers readers), is a must if you do venture offroad at all, I'm pretty sure my T2 was fitted with the second plate ever made by Alex Gee which arguably was the predecessor of the popular plate that dragline1570 now makes for all Touareg models and variants.

Here is a pic of the one that dragline1570 makes for your model
Best Sump Guard I've seen
although I cant work out the bits that you lost from this pic.

I notice you run the Hankook RF10 tyres, what is your opinion of them? I have the LT version fitted in 245-70 size to my offroad/towing wheels and so far very happy with wear rate and performance on the dirt although I prefer the handling / noise factor of my road tyres which I swap over when not towing or venturing cross country.

TonyB

MY08 V6TDi, Campanella White, Enhancements: RNS 510 Nav + Bluetooth, Twin Batteries, Paddle Shifters, Steinbauer Power Module, Seikel Suspension, underbody alloy protection plates, 18" Road Tyres, 17" ATM Off-road Tyres, 3 X Full Size Spares, OEM Roof Bars, OEM Tow Pack, OEM LED load Module, Red Arc Tow Pro Elite Brake Controller, Icom IC-440 UHF + Roof Mounted Antenna, Great White LED Light Bar, Brembo 6 Spot 17Z Front Brake Upgrade .
post #3 of 4 Old 01-14-2017
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2012 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: 2010 V6 TDI
I'm out in the US and would definitely recommend the bashplate (as seafarer28 recommended) that dragline1570 has manufactured. He shipped us a lot of 4 and I have definitely put my T2 through a lot since I received it. I would highly recommend it. His craftsmanship is second to none from what I've seen.

The bashplate wouldn't have made a difference to the damage on the front bumper though sadly, it only covers the sump, tranny and diff.

2012 Dark Flint Metallic Touareg TDI Exec
2010 Sapphire Blue Pearl Touareg TDI Lux Limited

post #4 of 4 Old 01-15-2017 Thread Starter

Touareg: 2013 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: Still looking
Thanks for the input guys, couldn't see any good pics of it fitted so i thought it might come a bit further up. There are some plastic clip type things that a rubber strip used to clip on to on the lower front bumper spoiler, I'd link the part but i'm not allowed to post links until i have 5 posts :P

I'm thinking i might see if i can pull the lower front bumper spoiler off and get something a bit less flimsy... Looks like Gazzak's T3 has what i'm looking for... Definitely grab a bashplate as well though, i've been avoiding the rocky places so far... Only a matter of time though :P

The Hankooks are pretty new(LT 265/65r17's) I haven't taken it out to the mud and dirt with them on as of yet, been sticking to the beaches/dunes so far and they seem to be handling it very nicely indeed. Once you let them down they really shine, I got up the dune I did the damage above on the second go, My mates Prado took 4 or 5 goes, another mate with a D-mux took about the same, Think they were running Coopers Discoverers from memory... Could be the weight difference as well though I guess...Or maybe the old Treg is just awesome

The road noise isn't too bad, neither is handling - no where near as good as the road tyres on the 20in rims though, I swap them out when i'm not out back too.

Cheers!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-1051468790.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	508.5 KB
ID:	168058  
Steve_L likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode