Setting up for towing - request advice - Club Touareg Forums
 1Likes

post #1 of 33 Old 05-06-2016 Thread Starter

Touareg: 2012 V6 FSI
Second Vehicle: is not a VW
Setting up for towing - request advice

I think I'm all ready to set up my 2012 VR6 for towing.

I have a VW 7P0803881 hitch. There are many YouTube videos that show how to install it. I'm not concerned.

I have the VW 7P1055203 trailer wiring package with 7-pin connector. The package wants me to apply a sticker that reads "no brake controller". Is this package compatible with a brake controller?

The instructions that came with the wiring package indicate that the dealer needs to make computer adjustments so that the car recognizes the electronics. I've not seen anyone here mention that...

I understand that I'll have to search for the brake controller connector under the dash, and that I'll have to build a little harness from the VW connector to the Tekonsha P3 connector. No problem, I will have the mate to the VW connector on Monday.

Finally, I've seen multiple posts that I may need to do some custom wiring from the brake light switch through a relay to the Teknosha P3 connector. But not all installations of a Tekonsha P3 on a Touareg say so. Advice please?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old 05-06-2016
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2013 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: a bicycle
Yes, the dealer will have to code the Touareg because it's not factory installed.

Yes, that little harness requires buying 3 items. The plastic "molex" style connector, and two pieces of wire that have the connector "molex" tabs already crimped on. Those wires get cut in half and you have 4 wires with crimped on connectors to make the adapter for the brake controller. I thought it was kooky that I had to do this, but it wasn't difficult except for getting the parts. I had to go to an Audi dealer that had them in stock, it was cheap.

Yes, the brake controller is tucked up inside the left side of the dash possibly near the A-Pillar. Not possible to see, but by hand you can get it.

You may, or may not, need to install an auxiliary relay to deal with flickering or non-functional brake lights. Tekonsha recommends using it from what I recall. It really depends on the Touareg and the trailer brake lights. For some people the Tekonsha P3 works fine (I have one, and LED trailer brakes lights, and no problems). For others, the small square wave voltage that checks for burnt filaments causes problems with activation of the trailer lights when using the Tekonsha. Test first, then if needed, follow all the instructions in the posts if needed to make that auxiliary relay dongle.

http://www.tekonsha.com/support/installation/N90195.pdf heres a link to operation instructions.

Also, https://www.etrailer.com/faq-tb-09-0021-Tekonsha.aspx wiring diagram for the breake relay courtesy of eTrailer, a great resource.

There are some great threads that explain all this. Also this is covered in a Cayenne forum IIRC.
The Following User Says Thank You to ToolmanJohn For This Useful Post:
CurtCharlesPDX (05-06-2016)
post #3 of 33 Old 05-09-2016 Thread Starter

Well, I spent 30 minutes with my head under the dash and I'll be darned if I can find that connector. I've heard it's "way up there" and "near the A piller", so that's where I looked. I folowed several loom branches, but none seemed to end in the alleged foam-wrapped connector. This seems to be a rather important element of the installation and I'm lost...

post #4 of 33 Old 05-10-2016
Touareg Mechanic

It's there. I had to reach nearly my entire arm up into the dash, and it was somewhat on top of a ledge near the A-Pillar. The technicians that install the dash console probably tuck it away differently every time. I didn't have to follow any wire looms, I just had to spend a lot of time feeling for the foam covered connector. Once I had it, it only pulled down another 10-14 inches, and wasn't even flush with the bottom of the dash, it took a bit of effort to connect the new brake controller adapter into it one handed.
post #5 of 33 Old 05-10-2016 Thread Starter

Thanks. I'll give my back a rest tonight, and try again on Wednesday. I will also remove the fuse block panel to see if that gives me better visibility.
Can you confirm that getting the solid 12V and ground for the relay from the VW connector is acceptable? Also, is there a pin-out on the VW connector, or do I need to determine the wire colors to know which signal is on which pin?
post #6 of 33 Old 05-10-2016
Touareg Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurtCharlesPDX View Post
Thanks. I'll give my back a rest tonight, and try again on Wednesday. I will also remove the fuse block panel to see if that gives me better visibility.
Can you confirm that getting the solid 12V and ground for the relay from the VW connector is acceptable? Also, is there a pin-out on the VW connector, or do I need to determine the wire colors to know which signal is on which pin?
I'll try and find that wire diagram. I did mine in 2013.

Found one with the relay option.

https://www.etrailer.com/static/imag...9088_2_800.jpg

And another which shows the wiring diagram even better. As I said before, I did NOT use the auxiliary relay. My Tekonsha P3 works fine with my trailer.

https://www.etrailer.com/faq-tb-09-0021-Tekonsha.aspx
post #7 of 33 Old 05-10-2016 Thread Starter

Thanks Toolman John. I spent 90 minutes on my back underneath the dash. I removed 3 panels to get better access, and at long last I laid fingers and eyes on something hard wrapped in gray foam.. But, I was unable to move it more than 1/4" in any direction, and I couldn't fold back the foam. I've seen pictures of it near the fuse panel on the left of the "concertina" structure, which implies a few inches of slack in the wires.

It reads like you left it on the little shelf. That may be the best choice, and I could possibly do the same, but at this point I haven't seen the actual connector housing.

I think I'll see if the local shop will expose it for me; I don't think I'm capable. I hate giving up.
post #8 of 33 Old 05-15-2016 Thread Starter

Partial success

I installed the electronics in the back; very straightforward after opening the back right panel, which isn't quite so simple. The OEM kit fits perfectly, and the red connector, unlike the one for the brake controller, is right where it needs to be. And there is even enough slack, so that it reaches.

We successfully removed the bumper cover and the bar. Then we discovered that the factory hitch requires longer bolts which weren't supplied with 790803881. Does anyone know where to get the right bolts? Can I go to Fastenal and get M12x85mm SST bolts with a washer?

I've built the harness for the brake controller and included a 30A self-resetting fuse on the 12V line from the vehicle. I'll verity that the right things are on the right pins before connecting the P3. If I have the wrong things in vehicle-side plug, does anyone have advice on how to remove the pins from the housing?

Next week I'll pay to have the connector under the dash exposed; I gave it 2.5 hrs with no success.
post #9 of 33 Old 05-15-2016
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2006 V10 TDI
Make sure you run the power and the ground for that controller to the battery. It is not that hard to access the cables in front of the drivers seat.

2006 V10 125,000 Off Road Gray
See us towing the 25' enclosed Featherlite all over the West
post #10 of 33 Old 05-15-2016
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2008 V8
Second Vehicle: Other
Might want to consider buying VCDS. It will let you re-code for your trailer module and much more. $$$, but worth it.

The dealer will likely want at least 1/3 of the price (if not more) of VCDS to reprogram the module.

2008 V8
No VCDS? Get it here:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode