Setting up for towing - request advice - Page 3 - Club Touareg Forums
 1Likes

post #21 of 33 Old 06-02-2016 Thread Starter

Touareg: 2012 V6 FSI
Second Vehicle: is not a VW
Other posts on this site suggested that a minor change to "coding" would get the brake ligts working: change block 69 from 16385 to 16386.

My 2012 V6 is a 7P chassis; that implies that the earlier model coding may not be appropriate for the 7P. Good to know.

The local shop plugged in the VagCom and found that the Gateway wasn't coded for towing, so they enabled "trailer towing". When they went to block 69, the value was 010000000..00 and not the 16385 that folks said we'd see; we did not change it. I'll check it with the trailer tomorrow to see if enabling towing was sufficient to get trailer brake lights working.
The Following User Says Thank You to CurtCharlesPDX For This Useful Post:
irserius (12-29-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 33 Old 06-27-2016 Thread Starter

Well, the local shop changed the 010000000..0 to 020000000..0 and viola, the trailer brake lights are now working! I know it isn't the full towing package because the tail gate still works when the trailer is attached.

Our trailer is a Trailmanor 3124 weighing about 3200 lbs. I towed it to the Oregon coast for a weekend outing. Home is at 275 ft, the coast is about about sea level, and the coast range of mountains lies between at 1586 ft, so there's a bit of a hill to ascend and descend.

The VR6 Treg handled it well, but not as easily as I had hoped. We were able to climb at 55 mph with 4500 RPM showing on the tach. The outside temperature was in the high 70's and the engine temp stayed at 200 degrees. It was kinda fun watching the Treg downshift to get the torque to maintain speed; with the 8-speed transmission, there are a lot of choices.

Anyone else experience their Treg screaming at high RPM when climbing a hill? Should I be concerned?

Here's the really cool thing: 14.1 MPG. We towed the same trailer with a Volvo XC90 and the best we saw towing was 12.5.
post #23 of 33 Old 06-27-2016

I'm having issues with trailer lights not working on my new to me '12 Touareg TDI.

Can someone let me know the specifics of the coding for the gateway that allows trailer towing?

The Trailer Controller has coding of 020D000000000000, does that look correct?
The part number is 7P0 907 383 F

It has the factory tow package. I pulled the controller out and unplugged it and reconnect it with no change. I "rebooted" the CAN gateway with no change. It sees controller (69) and says its functioning normally. I traced the wires from the controller to the hitch and disconnected and reconnected that connector, everything looks fine.

I've tried incandescent trailer lights and LEDs with no luck although they both work on my son's Toyota truck. I've tried the e-trailer plug "fix" that shows a load so the LED lights will function also with no luck.

All five fuses appear to be good.

Any help you all can offer would be much appreciated!

Thanks,
John

post #24 of 33 Old 06-27-2016 Thread Starter

JohnT26: I installed 7P1055203 on my 2012 VR6 and it works fine. We told the gateway that trailer towing was installed then we recoded block 69 (towing) from 010000..0 to 020000..0 and that fixed the brake light issue. You might have the wrong towing package; the P/N isn't the same as mine. Did it have a green connector connection on the D pillar? Red connector (near the back door)? How 'bout the small bridge on the 3 2-wire pairs? I bought a $5 (https://www.amazon.com/IIT-16693-Tra...nnector+tester) tester that plugs in to the 7-way so I could prove that the issue was car, not trailer.

Good luck.
post #25 of 33 Old 06-27-2016
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2008 V8
Second Vehicle: 2007 V6
Garage
Curt, yes I towed with a 2007 3.6 VR6 (and the older six speed) over those mountains (we rv at Oregon Coast a lot). Yeah, it will scream, but it never killed mine and I was pushing 6k with a 2013 Springdale 189fl (good old iron and wood). We upgraded to a 32' lite weight aluminum Passport now (family grew) and I now tow with a V8. If the V8 died while out camping I would be confident my VR6 could get us home even at 7k (since both Treg's are tow ready). I have owned it nearly eight years now and it has been in front of three travel trailer's in its life and still going strong.
On a pass that goes from sea level to around 800 feet in a little less than a mile (very steep hill on 101 just north of Lincoln City), I did a power climb with the VR6 and the 189 in tow. From the bottom I was able to hit 70+ mph in full throttle and was still accelerating when I had to brake hard (really hard) for a turn coming up. It revs high and feels underpowered, but once it gets those RPM's up, it really screams for the little engine it is and pulls pretty decent.

For comparison, I had to slow on another climb for a jeep wrangler to be able to pass (just couldn't do it) that had five adults seated in it...while I was towing.
CurtCharlesPDX likes this.
post #26 of 33 Old 06-28-2016

Hi Curt,

I do have the red plug on the controller, it seems that my system is different than yours.

Do I use the VCDS long coding helper on controller 19 to tell it that there is a trailer and its USA type? That may be the issue.

Thanks,
John
post #27 of 33 Old 08-29-2016

Touareg: 2012 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: Still looking
Hi everyone,
So just bought the 2012 Tdi 57000km. It has trailer tow package. The plug in the back has a cap, do I just unscrew the cap and the plug is behind it? Do I have to add a trailer brake controller or am I good to go?
Sorry for seeming stupid questions. The wife is driving me nuts and I'm away working, been looking here but just haven't found the answers. My wife is just raving about the drive and handling. I hope I get to drive it lol!

Deege
post #28 of 33 Old 08-30-2016
Touareg Mechanic

Garage
You unscrew that cap to access the universal pigtail used to plug in the plug of your choice. You can get the most common / popular plug at the dealer and overpay or get this (same thing):

https://www.amazon.com/Pollak-11-893.../dp/B000B6NQHW

If you want to tow something with electric brakes, you will need a brake controller. I had the dealer do my install, but if you are up for it, there is lots of info on here using the search function. The most difficult part as I understand it (never having done it) is getting deep up into the dash (back / pain).
post #29 of 33 Old 08-30-2016
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2014 V6 TDI
Smile Mr.t

I have been towing a Lance 1985 24 ft. Trailer for two years now and here is what I found. I used the wire less brake control and just plug it in and go. No wiring hassle or glitches. I use the factory hitch setup with out any sway bar or easy lift. It has 560 lbs of tongue wt. never sways. Mirrors are the biggest problem. I installed a rear view camera on the trailer and that really helps me. The TDI is a pulling machine. Love that diesel.
post #30 of 33 Old 08-30-2016
Touareg Mechanic

Garage
Mr T, you must not have these then:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01C7...WTFB2EPQEWR4MP

I just towed with these after towing with crummy strap on mirrors for years-These are 100% better. I can see behind my 32' travel trailer (traffic following) with ease, which I couldn't do before. Also they do not vibrate / move .

I purchased (however) from a different supplier in Amazon, but they are now out of stock, but the product number is the same.

Seriously do yourself a favor and get these.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode