New-to-towing questions - Club Touareg Forums
 3Likes

post #1 of 14 Old 12-13-2016 Thread Starter

Touareg: Still looking
Second Vehicle: Still looking
New-to-towing questions

I'll start by saying I have an 08 v8 with what I'm assuming is the factory installed hitch (I bought it used, but it does "appear" to have the connectors for trailor lights). I may in the future get a decent sized trailer. Also, because of weather and general misfortune of other motorists, I've been seeing a lot more stranded cars in dangerous/inconvenient places, and i'd like to have the capability to pull them off to a safer location or more convenient location (Like yesterday when a UPS truck stalled in a parking lot blocking me into my parking space. I had enough space to get out, but decided to help the driver push it by hand to a better location).

I shoild also mention that I know very little about the physical components of towing. I don't know what to get to put in my hitch.

I've read some things about the anatomy of towing but got kind of confused so any info in idiot's terms would be greatly appreciated

Thanks guys!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 12-13-2016
Touareg Guru

There's not a lot to it really, just hitch up and haul 155 tons . . .

marshatherton likes this.

Excellent Wikipedia info on all models:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Buying or just bought a T1 or a T2? ESSENTIAL READING:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Useful tip! Search this forum using Google or Bing by typing in site:
color="black"> word word word
post #3 of 14 Old 12-13-2016 Thread Starter

Lol the dynamics don't seem that hard. Just stay within the tongue weight, max towing, etc. but I don't know what to buy.

I think it's called a hitch receiver? Or tow bar? It seems like there are different types/styles and they differ by how much they can tow. I just want something that has a wide application that, if I needed to, I could use to pull the full 7700 lbs a short distance.

post #4 of 14 Old 12-13-2016 Thread Starter

This is what I have:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2198.PNG
Views:	42
Size:	1,019.9 KB
ID:	165386  
post #5 of 14 Old 12-13-2016 Thread Starter

You see, I don't know the difference between any of these 3 styles, or if the only difference is aesthetics.

I think I remember reading that the touareg comes with a 2" hitch? Meaning the diagonal lenght I'm assuming. I just don't know what kind of bar/ball/ball mount to get ir if there is even andifference.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2199.JPG
Views:	38
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	165394   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2200.JPG
Views:	30
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	165402  

Name:	IMG_2201.JPG
Views:	29
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	165410  
post #6 of 14 Old 12-13-2016
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2008 V8
Second Vehicle: Other
Have a local 4WD club show you what you need. I prefer the adapters that allow you to hook up a shackle instead of the giant "hook" that you posted a photo of. Those hooks allow the tow strap to fall off. And you DEFINITELY DO NOT want to wrap a strap around a regular towing ball!!!!! If the ball breaks, it cam become a projectile.

Unscrew the 4 screws holding your wiring cover on and make sure you have an actual wiring harness plugged into it AND that it's not just a cover, but you actually instead have a real multi-pin plug.

2008 V8
No VCDS? Get it here:
post #7 of 14 Old 12-13-2016
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2004 V8
Second Vehicle: is not a VW
First thing loose that Toyota plate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matttregg88 View Post
This is what I have:
fleabag likes this.
post #8 of 14 Old 12-13-2016
Touareg Guru

Most people don't know the 747 was designed to carry a fifth, spare engine if needed, and on this plane, at 1:27 into the video above it looks as though each of the 747's outboard engines have been moved to the "engine ferry" position next to the inboard engine on each wing and there is a pod on the outer wing where the outboard engine was once mounted.

Did they move the outer engines inboard prior to flying that empty aircraft on just two engines into its final aerodrome destination I wonder?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	747 spare engine ferry.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	165426  

post #9 of 14 Old 12-13-2016
Touareg Guru

But back to towing . . .

The 2 inches you mention is the standard diameter of the tow ball. [The standard ball in Europe is 50mm which, although it is near enough to two inches when measuring a lot of things, is a dangerous mix if someone uses the wrong ball for whatever they are hooking up to!]

As others have mentioned, it's a good idea to get advice if you have never towed anything before and that includes basic recovery and also getting some practice in with a trailer attached before you buy so you know the art of steering the wrong way in order to get the trailer to go the right way!

Then you'll be able to reverse just like this VW driver . . .

fleabag likes this.

post #10 of 14 Old 12-13-2016 Thread Starter

Hahaha fair enough. I thought of that when I posted the pic. I have a real plate and since removed that hideous thing that came on it from the dealership. I was just to lazy ti go snap a recent pic so I used an old one.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode