Club Touareg Forum banner

Need advice on adding hitch to 2013 TDI

17K views 47 replies 16 participants last post by  JettaGetUpandGo 
#1 ·
Newbie here ... yes I already searched the forums, found lots of helpful tips, but still have questions. I'm buying a 2013 TDI Sport w/nav, which does NOT have the factory hitch receiver. I plan to use the vehicle to tow a car trailer, loaded weight 4000 lbs, dual Dexter axles w/electric brakes on both axles (been towing this trailer with my existing SUV's for 10 years, no problems). I do NOT expect to ever tow anything heavier than this. So I will need to purchase & install a hitch on the '13 TDI, plus wiring for the electric brake controller. My questions:

1. What hitch receiver should I get? The factory hitch, or an aftermarket hitch? Any specific recommendations on aftermarket hitches -- any differences in appearance?
  2. What exactly does the factory "control module" do? Do I need it? What features & benefits would it give me?
  3. Is it possible to install conventional wiring for an electric brake controller, in lieu of the factory control module? I have done my own wiring on four previous SUV's. Is there something about the Touareg that makes this impossible? Or just difficult? Or is it as straightforward as any other SUV?
  4. I have read some threads that imply that it is difficult/impossible to find a wire from the brake pedal to the brake lights, to use as the trigger signal for an electric brake controller. Is this true? These threads suggest using a wireless brake controller due to the extreme difficulty of hard-wiring a conventional controller without the factory "control module".
  5. Since this particular vehicle does not have the OEM hitch, does it have ANY trailer tow wiring pre-installed? On Touaregs with a factory hitch, I assume that there is some sort of harness that runs from the rear bumper area, to the "control module", and to the dashboard area. Can I expect to find such a harness on a Touareg that has no hitch? Or will I have to do all this wiring from scratch? Or can I purchase this harness from my local VW dealer?
  6. From reading other threads, I understand that ALL 2013 North American Touaregs have heavy-duty transmission coolers and heavy-duty (850W) electric cooling fans, and there are no mechanical modifications required for towing purposes -- i.e. there is no such thing as a "tow package", all Touaregs came equipped that way, the only towing equipment added by the factory (or dealer) was the hitch receiver and the control module. if anyone disagrees with this or has conflicting information, please speak up!
THANK YOU for your advice. This forum is incredibly helpful!

See less See more
#2 ·
You could probably get by with a Curt hitch witch is rated for 6500 lbs I believe. I would still install the tow module and brake controller.

The tow module controls trans shift points, disables proximity sensors, enables anti theft alarm if unplugged etc.

I've installed hitch receivers on both of my Touareg's but my boat trailer has surge brakes so no brake controller was needed. I understand that the benefit out ways the difficulty of locating the brake controller plug under the dash.

You are correct about all Touaregs having the trans cooler and heavy duty cooling fans. The hitch receiver and tow module are installed at the dealership.

Good luck

#43 ·
The tow module controls trans shift points, disables proximity sensors, enables anti theft alarm if unplugged etc.
The North American market Touareg is ready tow, in regards to transmission and cooling. If you can swing the $1400 or so for a factory installed hitch do so. It is worth installing the brake controller to the factory plug under the dash, even though it is a pain to do so the first time.

After all that is done, you have great tow rig, ...
My question is about a potential 2008 Touareg, not the 2013 like the original poster was asking about. This is the closest thread I could find relating to my question.

I was quoted $2,116.30 plus tax including installation, hitch, harness, ball, and mount. Do you think the "harness" is the same thing as the "control module" or do you think we are talking two different items?

I will try to call the dealership tomorrow, but time constraints at work could interfere as this promises to be a busy work week.

#3 ·
Pedantic maybe, but just to clarify: US Touaregs do have the 850 watt coolant fans but not all Touaregs do though elsewhere!

As Perry highlights, do get the tow module properly installed and programmed - the safety and security features are well worth having.

#4 ·
The North American market Touareg is ready tow, in regards to transmission and cooling.
If you can swing the $1400 or so for a factory installed hitch do so. It is worth installing the brake controller to the factory plug under the dash, even though it is a pain to do so the first time.

After all that is done, you have great tow rig, and it has slightly better value when you someday trade, because it is a factory hitch, not aftermarket (every aftermarket Touareg hitch I have seen has a lower tow rating capacity, about 6000 pounds compared tot the factory 7700 pounds).

I would like to add that I ALMOST bought a 2012 Sport w/nav that did not have the tow package, and luckily it got sold before I made a decision to buy it and had to get a 2013 that had it. Glad I ended up with the hitch already installed.

#5 ·
I installed the Curt hitch. Was an easy install. Purchased for ~$180 online. The dealer installed control module for me and coded the ecu for trailer usage. The Curt hitch is rated lower than OEM but for many of us the Curt's 6,000# limit is fine. Adding the proper module is just a cost of having the Touareg. I would not want to deal with the ecu coding by running make shift wiring vs the factory module.

Brake controllers add another issue. I ran the Protegy P3 in my last truck and it worked well. But in the Touareg I didn't want to look at a brake controller all the time. So I opted for the Protegy RF wireless controller. The RF unit works awesome. Controls our double axle trailer brakes very smoothly.

#6 ·
EBG18, that's interesting ... so you're saying that the control module knows when you have the trailer hooked up, even though you're using a wireless brake controller? Didn't think it could do that.

Also, when the dealer installed the control module, did they also install a 7-pin connector for the trailer lights?

If I may ask, what did it cost to have the dealer install the module?

Thanks,
Mikaman

#8 ·
Let me clarify a tad. By using the factory module the Touareg knows when a trailer is connected. This disables the proximity sensors, the rear hatch and alters the shift points.

The Protegy RF consists of 2 peices. Part one is mounted on the trailer. The trailers 7-pin plug connects to the Protegy RF module and the RF's 7-Pin connects to the Touareg. Part 2 is the part that sits in the cab. Part 2 is simply a handheld unit that plugs into the 12v plug for power. Part 1 & Part 2 must go thru a pairing process. Once paired and both parts have power, they automatically connect to each other.

#7 ·
After I sold my T1, I asked the woman who bought it if she was planning to tow and she said no. I asked her if I could remove the tow module and she said sure. It took me less than 30 minutes and I installed it in my 2008 V8. It includes the pigtail harness. You just need the adapter to fit your trailer plug. Of course VCDS is needed to reprogram to ROW.

#9 ·
I appreciate all the help here, but so far no one has really answered these questions:

-- Is it possible to install conventional wiring for an electric brake controller, in lieu of the factory control module?
-- I have read some threads that imply that it is difficult/impossible to find a wire from the brake pedal to the brake lights ... Is this true?
-- Since this particular vehicle does not have the OEM hitch, does it have ANY trailer tow wiring pre-installed?

Thanks,

#10 ·
I appreciate all the help here, but so far no one has really answered these questions: -- Is it possible to install conventional wiring for an electric brake controller, in lieu of the factory control module? -- I have read some threads that imply that it is difficult/impossible to find a wire from the brake pedal to the brake lights ... Is this true? -- Since this particular vehicle does not have the OEM hitch, does it have ANY trailer tow wiring pre-installed? Thanks,
-why would you want to install wiring for a electric brake controller when there is already a plug for one under the dash and why would you want one in lieu of a factory trailer control module? They serve two different purposes.

-it's not difficult to find the brake light wire

-there is a purple plug in the passengers side rear compartment. This is where all the wires are for your trailer lights. It's also where you plug in your pigtail that's include in the factory trailer control module.

#11 ·
I have read some threads that imply that it is difficult/impossible to find a wire from the brake pedal to the brake lights ... Is this true?
No. I found the plug under the dash in less than 3 minutes with all the very usefull info on this forum,

You must remove the plastic panel Under the dash and the left panel fuse cover and the panel fuse box on the left side. Than I used my left hand to hold the plug and my right hand to push the adaptor and the wirering harness plug in it. My controler is the Prodigy (original model).

See page 3, 4 and others

www.clubtouareg.com/forums/f66/2011-tdi-electric-brake-controller-48912.html

#12 ·
Thanks Perry! I guess I should have asked the question differently. If I can re-direct:

-- do all 2013 Touaregs have the trailer wiring harness pre-installed, even if the vehicle did NOT come with the factory hitch receiver and control module?
-- assuming the answer to #1 is yes, can I connect a conventional electric brake controller to the harness under the dash, and connect a 7-pin trailer connector to the harness in the rear compartment, and then operate my trailer brakes without the VW "control module"?

I realize that most people on this forum highly recommend that I purchase the VW control module and have the dealer re-program the vehicle for it, but since I will only be towing 4000 lb, I wonder if this is really necessary? It sounds like it would be nice to have the features of the control module, but I have to decide if it is worth the expense.

I'm hearing numbers like $1200 - 1400 to have a VW dealer install the factory hitch and control module, versus about $300 to have an independent shop install an aftermarket hitch, but I would obviously need to connect the brake controller somehow -- so that's the real question, can it be done without the (expensive) factory control module?

#13 ·
-Yes

-Yes you could connect a brake controller to the plug under the dash but I believe you need to install the tow module for everything to function correctly but I'm not 100% sure.

Save your money and buy the Curt hitch from U-Haul. Then look around and try to find the tow module and wiring harness at a good price, not from the dealer.

Here is one from ECS http://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-Touareg_1--V8/Exterior/Hitch/ES252672/

I've also seen the tow module and harness on eBay for under $200 used.

Here is what is included in the factory tow module kit: Adapter Electronic device Cable Technology Electronics accessory

As you can see, the module is the box, the harness plugs into the module (black plug) and the green plug on the harness is where you plug into the purple plug in the rear compartment of your Touareg.

Then you need a 7 pin adapter to plug into the round recipticle. Simple enough? :)

#14 ·
Perry, THANK YOU! I think I get it now :idea:. Thanks for your patience with me. I'm on numerous other car forums and all too often, the experts get snippy and impatient with newbies who have basic questions.

Will probably go for the aftermarket hitch, look for the module on the open market, and then beg my local dealer to re-program the vehicle to work with the newly-installed control module.

Great advice, great forum!

#15 ·
In case anyone else finds this thread, here is some pricing info that I got today from local sources:

From local VW dealer: OEM VW hitch receiver $691 (parts) + $297.50 (labor) for a total of $988.50

OEM VW "control module" and wiring $341 (parts) + $42.50 (labor) for a total of $383.50

That means the total price to add the OEM towing equipment to a 2013 Touareg is $1372, plus tax. This does not include an electronic brake controller, or the wiring from the under-dash area to the controller. I am not sure if this includes the wiring & 7-pin connector to the rear bumper (probably not).

From local RV place: Reese hitch receiver p/n 44758 $286.50 + shipping $26 + labor (rough estimate) $180 = total cost of $492.50 (i.e. about half the cost of the VW OEM hitch receiver). Note that Reese rates this hitch receiver at 7500 lbs, but I have heard that VW de-rates the towing capacity of the Touareg if an aftermarket hitch is installed (curious ... just a way to sell more OEM hitches? or do the de-rate the vehicle because they assume that you don't have the OEM control module?)

AFTERMARKET ModuLite brand "power module" #119190 and all wiring to connect to my Prodigy electronic brake controller, all the way to 7-pin connector at back bumper: parts $100 + labor $225 = total $325 (i.e. about 15% less than OEM, but I realize that this does NOT provide all the features of the VW OEM control module)

This means that the total price to add aftermarket towing equipment to a 2013 Touareg is $817.50, plus tax. The only other thing needed is the electronic brake controller (which I already own).

So ... $817 for aftermarket, versus $1372 for OEM. The plusses & minuses:

• aftermarket costs 40% less than OEM (savings of $558)
  • aftermarket does not provide vehicle sway control or altered shift points that OEM control module allegedly provides
  • OEM requires extra time & labor from me, to install under-dash wiring and rear bumper wiring
So, given this price info, I am leaning towards the aftermarket hitch with OEM control module -- which is what Perry and others suggested from the start. Now I think I understand why.

#16 ·
Mikaman - when I was at the dealership they indicated there were 2-parts of the factory control module that added up to ~$320. One was the module itself which was ~$220 and the other was the 7-pin plug for ~$100. The dealership installed the factory module and offered me a non-VW 7-pin plug for $15 vs VW brand for $100. I opted for the cheaper one. I works just the same and saved me $85.

#17 ·
Here's the link for the Pollak plug that is cheaper than the VW one: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000B6NQHW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Looks like the Reese hitch can be had for $146+ shipping from CarID the picture is wrong but the part# was correct: Reese® 44758 - Volkswagen Touareg 2011-2014 Rear Trailer Hitch with Receiver Opening

Here's the Curt hitch I used on my Touareg, $149 if you have Prime from Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Curt-13116-Class-Receiver-Hitch/dp/B005WKQEB2/ref=au_as_r?ie=UTF8&Make=Volkswagen%7C74&Model=Touareg%7C2443&Year=2014%7C2014&n=15684181&s=automotive&vehicleId=1&vehicleType=automotive

Some places list the Curt 13116 hitch as 6000#/616# but Curt's site list it as 7500#/750#. http://www.curtmfg.com/part/13116

I would suggest buying the hitch yourself, install it yourself (took me an hour or so) and then let VW do the module & ecu update.

#18 ·
Here's the link for the Pollak plug that is cheaper than the VW one: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000B6NQHW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Looks like the Reese hitch can be had for $146+ shipping from CarID the picture is wrong but the part# was correct: Reese® 44758 - Volkswagen Touareg 2011-2014 Rear Trailer Hitch with Receiver Opening

Here's the Curt hitch I used on my Touareg, $149 if you have Prime from Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Curt-13116-Class-Receiver-Hitch/dp/B005WKQEB2/ref=au_as_r?ie=UTF8&Make=Volkswagen%7C74&Model=Touareg%7C2443&Year=2014%7C2014&n=15684181&s=automotive&vehicleId=1&vehicleType=automotive

Some places list the Curt 13116 hitch as 6000#/616# but Curt's site list it as 7500#/750#. http://www.curtmfg.com/part/13116

I would suggest buying the hitch yourself, install it yourself (took me an hour or so) and then let VW do the module & ecu update.
Just remember with your Curt hitch your towing capacity is not 7700 lbs. It will more like 6000 lbs.

#20 ·

Just found this for towing Trailering hope it helps some one

Trailering:

• Dead Weight Hitch - Max Trailer Wt. (lbs): 7716 • Dead Weight Hitch - Max Tongue Wt. (lbs): 772 • Wt Distributing Hitch - Max Trailer Wt. (lbs): 7716 • Wt Distributing Hitch - Max Tongue Wt. (lbs): 1157 • Maximum Trailering Capacity (N/A): 7716
2015 Volkswagen Touareg - 4dr TDI Features & Specs | Autonet

#21 ·
Just found this for towing Trailering hope it helps some one Trailering: • Dead Weight Hitch - Max Trailer Wt. (lbs): 7716 • Dead Weight Hitch - Max Tongue Wt. (lbs): 772 • Wt Distributing Hitch - Max Trailer Wt. (lbs): 7716 • Wt Distributing Hitch - Max Tongue Wt. (lbs): 1157 • Maximum Trailering Capacity (N/A): 7716 2015 Volkswagen Touareg - 4dr TDI Features & Specs | Autonet
It looks like they increased the tongue weight for 2015.

#27 ·
I am not knowledgeable on the towing things, but you do need the 7 pin connector as it does not come with the towing package. When you negotiate have them install the 7 pin connector and to have it included in the price. 97$ at VW plus install but you can also buy it for 15$ at amazon and install it yourself. I do not think the dealer will loose a sale for the 7 pin connector so I would go for it just before you finalize the sale. Same with the VW monster mats. You could do the same with mud flaps too but none for the Rline that I am aware of. I am telling you about the Rline as I wanted them and they made an appointment and tried to install them and on the mud flap package it said not for Rline. They didn't read the info on the package and tried to install them anyway so I wasted my morning for nothing.

#29 ·
The hitch and wiring are installed. The 7 pin connector is not. Some coding also has to be done. It is really pretty silly to me that they sell the hitch but it is not useable without the extra bits.

The brake controller is a whole other deal. There is a thread on here that talks about where to locate the connector for it under the dash and what not.

#30 ·
I have a quick question. It seems like there are two module&harness kits.
1. Part number #7P1055203 for (for $281 here Search SiteSearch 7P1055203 - 7P1055203 - INST.KIT - ES#2205380)
2. Part number #7L0055204U-1 (for $656 Search Touareg - 7L0055204U-1 - Touareg Trailer Hitch Electrical Installation Kit & Module - ES#252672)

Visually they look the same. The only difference I spotted is a part number on the control modules: 7L0 907 383 N ($656) and VW AG 7PO 907 383F ($281). Does anybody know what is the difference in functionality?

#33 ·
There was a statement in this thread, that if a trailer module is installed, (ECU re-flashed???) and connected it to a trailer, it changes shift points of transmission. I plan to use mostly trailers with 4-flat or 5-flat connectors (with no brakes and surge breaks). If I install a factory wiring harness then I need a 7 pole to 4/5 pin adapter. Will the module still "recognize" a trailer?

And I still have some doubts regarding the concept of "the module control shift points". Obviously, by connecting trailer wires to a trailer control module, the module can not "know" the trailer weight. There is no need to pre-adjust transition algorithm for a 1000 pound trailer, but may be helpful for a 7700 pound trailer. Does the module assume that the trailer weight is about average (~4000 pounds)?

#36 ·
I am thinking of installing the Curt hitch and the OEM wiring harness. What does the 7 pin plug attach to? Does the Curt have an area to attach to plug or is it just hanging? Does the OEM hitch have a place for the plug?

Thanks

#37 ·
Doesn't your Rline come with a hitch. In Canada they come with it. There is a bracket on the left rear where the 7 pin connector wiring harness is bolted in and you need to get the 7 pin connector to wiring harness. I think it comes with the wiring kit if I remember correctly. Then you have to get the adapter from 7 pin to 4 pin or 5 pin depending which you require. Mine was installed by the dealer and it reconcuiles my 4 pin trailer wiring harness. I am going from memory as my toured is presently in storage, hope this helps.

#38 ·
Here is my advice, I know i'm late on this...

Get the OEM Hitch.
Use a wireless brake controller, saves a lot of expense and hassle of wiring up your T3.

I use the wireless brake controller on my 6K open car trailer, just towed to FL from NJ and back over christmas without issue. 16-17MPG at 80-85mph.

-mike

#39 ·
Nope, the R-Line in the States did not come with a hitch. Is this bracket on the hitch itself are part of bumper cover? If anyone can take a pic, that would be excellent.

I am trying to justify the cost of the OEM hitch for my purpose, mainly for bike rake and occasional light utility trailer for hauling. However, I will have the dealer install the wiring harness.

I may look at junk yards for hope of finding an OEM hitch.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.