Land Rover LR4 fording - Club Touareg Forums
Club Touareg Forums  

Go Back   Club Touareg Forums > Club Touareg Technical Forums > Off-Roading & Towing

Join Forest River Forums Today

Old 04-01-2010   #1
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2007 V6
Second Vehicle: Other
Land Rover LR4 fording

Can someone please explain this...

YouTube - 2010 Land Rover Discovery 4 / LR4 Off Road [HQ]

FFWD to 1:20 and watch until 1:35 (or the end if you want).
Wouldn't this wake get sucked into the intake?

Also,
For some reason I doubt, although many of you have proven this wrong, that my Touareg can do this without sustaining some serious water/engine damage.

Old 04-01-2010   #2
The Moderator!

Touareg: 2010 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: a bicycle
There is a pic of my 04 floating around on this forum with water flying up over the roof of my Treg. I had no ill effects from that at all, but hindsight says it could have been catastophic. So actually the video is mild from what I put my 04 through, but is doable.

04 Offroad Grey V6, gone, but will never be forgotten.
Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2010   #3
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2007 V6
Second Vehicle: Other
Yea I was actually referring to your vehicle (and another member's vehicle as well). I read your whole post about it and how there was only mud to clean up.

But,
What about the constant driving through this creek? I mean, how high can the intake really be?

I'll have to stop by the local Range/Land Rover dealership and pop the hood sometime this weekend and see for myself.
Old 04-01-2010   #4

Touareg: 2004 R5 TDI
Second Vehicle: Still looking
I might be wrong, but IIRC the Disco3 had a wading depth of 600mm and if you look at the aftermarket snorkel kit that was available from the LR dealers for the Disco3, it connected through the intake vent on the fender, just in front of the front doors. I suspect that this is more or less where the standard air intake sits on the Disco3 and, being not very different, probably the Disco4 as well.

In all the footage in that clip, the vent is still above the waterline.
Old 04-02-2010   #5
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: Still looking
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrieK View Post
I might be wrong, but IIRC the Disco3 had a wading depth of 600mm and if you look at the aftermarket snorkel kit that was available from the LR dealers for the Disco3, it connected through the intake vent on the fender, just in front of the front doors. I suspect that this is more or less where the standard air intake sits on the Disco3 and, being not very different, probably the Disco4 as well.

In all the footage in that clip, the vent is still above the waterline.
I have an lr3, the intake stuff is identical. The advertised wading depth is several inches higher than Touaregs with air suspension and yes, the air intake is the vent at the top of the fender. Not only is it about the air intake but almost as important, other breather tubes for axles, and such. Rovers in general for many years have had high wading depths by bringing the breather tubes up higher. I have seen photos of nutty rover drivers with water consistently at the window! but it can't be good for a lot of other little parts.
2007 Land Rover Discovery 3 modified
2004 Land Rover Discovery 2
1996 Land Rover Discovery 1 / 230,000 miles
norsecarnut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2010   #6

Touareg: 2004 V8
http://<object width="640" height="3...mbed></object>

Okay After seeing this Video I was a little impressed but what's the COST and history....The egg is capable but really when IN THE WORLD WOULD YOU NAVIGATE THAT TYPE OF ANGLE>>REALLY!

To comment on the first video post on this thread..My response.."Okay and what did your vehicle do that was so special"! LMAO! YOU ARE NOT ALONE!

I hope I added the video link correctly!
Old 04-02-2010   #7

OkayI'll try this again!

Okay After seeing this Video I was a little impressed but what's the COST and history....The egg is capable but really when IN THE WORLD WOULD YOU NAVIGATE THAT TYPE OF ANGLE>>REALLY!

To comment on the first video post on this thread..My response.."Okay and what did your vehicle do that was so special"! LMAO! YOU ARE NOT ALONE!
Old 04-02-2010   #8

YouTube - Range Rover Sport + Land Rover Discovery 3 / LR3 extreme steep climbing (klipdrift off road)

Here we go!
Old 04-02-2010   #9
Touareg Mechanic

that's an exaggerated video. camera angles and wide angle lenses distort things. just like when you take a shot that can't capture an angle, well here it is exaggerated due to the same lens issues. yes, it's steep, but it's all obvious in the wheel lift, that's the only real truth and yes, it's steep, but not as much as it's made to look.

that hill is also a wee bit stupid to go up because the slightest screw up and you roll the vehicle.
Old 04-02-2010   #10
Touareg Mechanic

hahaha. so i just watched the water video - i was expecting it to be deep, for real, but it wasn't even that deep. the touareg, with air suspension would do the same crossings just fine, no issue at all. someone made it sound like it was cresting the hood but it was barely over the tires. funny stuff.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.