Club Touareg Forum banner

Is my car okay to off-road?

4K views 20 replies 10 participants last post by  alex gee 
#1 ·
I have a 2004 v6 Touareg and I was wondering if it's safe to off-road with it. It has 100,300 miles. When I say off-road I don't mean anything extreme. But what would I have to check before I do something like that?

#2 ·
It will be fine. You'll be amazed at its capability. There is a whole section in your owner's manual regarding off-roading.

#4 ·
That really depends on a few things.

How confidently do you know your machine ? Is maintenance up to date and the vehicle been checked over fully ? If you did take it off road do you have concerns with something you have not yet looked over to satisfy its working ability ?

The Touareg is a very capable machine (generally it’s the driver who is the weak link) and can do most if not all you throw at it. After all it was built to be a 4x4. Not a Jeep or Land cruiser though.

On the sensible side if you are lacking confidence, knowledge or experience it would be sensible to travel in company

Comments ??? what do you have in mind I can see you have just join us (welcome) is this your first 4x4 ?

#5 ·
That really depends on a few things. How confidently do you know your machine ? Is maintenance up to date and the vehicle been checked over fully ? If you did take it off road do you have concerns with something you have not yet looked over to satisfy its working ability ? The Touareg is a very capable machine (generally it’s the driver who is the weak link) and can do most if not all you throw at it. After all it was built to be a 4x4. Not a Jeep or Land cruiser though. On the sensible side if you are lacking confidence, knowledge or experience it would be sensible to travel in company Comments ??? what do you have in mind I can see you have just join us (welcome) is this your first 4x4 ?
I just got this car for my 16th birthday and I honestly don't know much about the car except it's had 1 other owner and they took really good care of it. What do you mean checked over fully? I know the engine works great 100% but my only concern is like the suspension in the front like collapsing or something so like the front of the car falling or something honestly I don't know a lot about cars so I thought I'd learn a few things on this website

#6 ·
When VW built the touareg they had 2 things in mind, luxury sport, and off road capability. As long as your careful (as in, dont treat it like a monster truck) you should be ok. Check out some videos on youtube and see what the touareg is made of. And welcome to the club!!

#9 ·
yep agree baby steps

The touareg is a bit like having a model for a girl friend. Can be high (not all the time) maintenance but treat her well and the ride will be great

Also read the manual back to front .... and more than once

and read this

Buying a used Touareg. What to look for. - myTreg forums

#12 ·
Find someone sensible who really knows about going off road - not some college friends who will urge you on regardless because they think it's all a great laugh and won't have to pick up the bill.

Talk to them and then see if you can go someplace together to learn a bit about what your car can do.

#15 ·
yep ... i like that quote very much

although i figure by now Noob is a farmer so i see no reason why he cant invite the boy (and us) to have a rip roaring time on field practise !!!!

#16 ·
If you don't have much off-road experience you'll want to get involved with a local off-road club. There's more going on at 2 mph than first meets the eye. I've had ours for three years and it can still do more than I'm capable of.

Here's my youtube Touareg link: https://www.youtube.com/user/hiracing/search?query=touareg.

Pack safety/survival gear in case you get stuck. Make sure you can call for help no matter where you are. Have fun and be safe! Stay on the trail and leave it clear for the rest of us. :)

#18 ·
Thanks everyone I will take all this into consideration. I will most likely not go off-roading in it unless somehow my road leads it. I do appreciate all the replies this got. If I do go off-road or decide to go through some snow I'll
Make sure to record it, lol.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.