Club Touareg Forum banner

How to see which one of the three diffs are locked?

5K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  kleinbus 
#1 ·
I was out playing in the desert the other day and had the center display, the big 8" display, set to show the off road information. I was a little surprised to find that not even once did it show any of the diffs locking. Now I'm not even sure that it would show this information to be honest since I've had no luck in finding anything online showing what it would look like. But it just seems like it would show which of the three diffs the vehicle would lock in a given situation. I should mention that I only have the 4Motion version and I did have the switch turned to the off road position. Can anyone show me what the display would look like if one of the diff locks are locked or if this information is not shown at all?

#2 ·
What year do you have? If you have the 4motion then I'm pretty sure you don't have locking diffs, but I could be wrong.

Mine's a 2009 with 4xmotion, and have the centre diff. Some had the optional rear diff, but none that I know of ever had three locking diffs. There are lots of posts that discuss the options.

If yours just says "off-road", then you have a T3 or newer and to my knowledge that means you have open diffs and the computer uses wheel braking to control wheel spin.

http://www.clubtouareg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55764

#3 ·
If your '12 V6FSI has air ride the off road setting has far more to do with ride height and ground clearance than anything else. Is it possible for you review the list of factory option codes in the 'trunk' area? You may be able to tell if you have any locking differential stuff installed from that.

#4 ·
Sorry I should have been more specific. Yes I have the '12 V6 and only the 4Motion version. I realize everything is electronically controlled on these and as such don't have a proper locking diff. I was just looking for whether or not the vehicle would show when it simulated locking the diffs on the infotainment screen when I have showing the off road screen. It looks like it might be able to show that since it has three "open rings" but I just haven't been able to find anything online about this.

#6 ·
I think if it was me I would not bother. As the electrickery only operates when needed to apply brakes etc, showing when it is applied would be in situations where you would be better at looking out at your surroundings rather than down inside the vehicle at a small screen.:confused:
If any are shown it would only be when they are in use. If in use you will have your hands and eyes fully occupied in controlling the vehicle. Forget the tiny screen, you have a big window to look out of :D

#8 ·
Possibly you may have misunderstood what I was getting at Malayaalam

You have a 4Motion Treg so unlike my 7L model with 4XMotion it does not have locking diffs as mentioned by Dirtrider

As Dirtrider says "If yours just says "off-road", then you have a T3 or newer and to my knowledge that means you have open diffs and the computer uses wheel braking to control wheel spin."
This wheel braking is not on all the time, only when the computer believes it is required.
This is the same logic as ESP for example, and the ESP light only comes on when it is actually in use, and goes out as soon as it is no longer applied.
If the screen is able to show this locking/braking, then I would expect it would only be when in actual use and not stay on so may be for very very short periods of time.

My understanding is that if you were to get in a situation where the computer puts the brakes on (simulates a locking diff as you put it) that will be at a time when I would expect you would be busy controlling the vehicle and not have time to look at an info screen. By the time you could look down I would expect the need for the brakes would have gone and so, even if the screen does show something, it would no longer be there.

However this assumes that the screen can show this "simulation". You may need a passenger to have eyes glued to the screen in order to tell if it does show up.

By the way, when you were out there did you feel the brakes coming on? How do you know it even entered this simulated locking disc mode by applying the brakes? Did you feel it?

Much easier on the 4XMotion where you dial the lock in. Good luck with it.

#9 ·
Correct, I only have the 4Motion T3. So I guess the screen is just there as a carryover for when the 4XMotion Touaregs need to show when the diffs are locked and won't actually show anything for mine.

I don't actually feel anything different when I'm out in the dunes, it handled surprisingly well in the the soft sands. I guess I would just like to have an idea of when it does what with the diffs like I'm used to from my other cars. Sometimes it tough to just trust the electronics and let it do its thing. :)

#10 ·
Correct, I only have the 4Motion T3. So I guess the screen is just there as a carryover for when the 4XMotion Touaregs need to show when the diffs are locked and won't actually show anything for mine. :)
VW still makes 4XMotion Touaregs but only in certain market places.

#13 ·
#12 ·
nice answer, pjod. great explanation. Per above, the T1/T2 was a static display iirc: OP seems to be asking/for expecting realtime display info. I dunno. I let the T3 do its thing. It is a pretty trick machine if you learn to trust it. Tires are important. Great idea just the same for real time display info...I can imagine it being helpful inextreme cases

#15 · (Edited)
With your 4motion setup you will never see anything on that screen as far as diff locks because you have no low range transfer case to lock anything at all. It is just a novelty screen on your Treg that serves no purpose to you at all.

The LR4 also has low range an real locking diffs. So that makes sense with all the info they give you.

#16 ·
The Torsen center differential in the 7P series with a single speed transfer case and eight speed transmission is an automatic, fully mechanical locking differential, unlike the Haldane center differential which uses an electric stepper motor to vary the pressure on a multi plate clutch pack to engage locking effect of the differential. Stepper motors and their control are a complicated and relatively fragile system, electronically dependant, and without full disassembly, it is virtually impossible to ascertain the extent to which the clutch pack is worn, and therefore effective when actually needed.
FYI, The US military uses Torsen differentials in the HUMMV, for reliability, simplicity of operation and also longevity, as well, they have been used in many vehicles by the serious off-road civilian crowd for years.
As well, very few of the 4XMotion vehicles have the optional rear differential lock fitted.

#17 ·
Like Perry already pointed out and like I have always said, VW makes two different Touareg drivelines and the High/Low transfercase model is NOT imported to US.

UAE haves both models

Malayaalam, you have nice country there, I just came back from UAE and Oman trip and while at our Dubai office, I saw the UAE airforce fighters doing the figure flyby and using various colors to create the UAE flag and whatnot for the celebration of your independence day...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.