Help, so confused - Page 3 - Club Touareg Forums
 1Likes

post #21 of 34 Old 2 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Touareg: 2010 V6 TDI
Thank you.. Ideally this is what I would do, but this was at an RV show and sale here in dead of winter. If it was off the dealer lot and spring they would have done that, but then I loose the incentive (maybe) money for this show.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 34 Old 2 Weeks Ago

Touareg: 2014 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: Still looking
Quote:
Originally Posted by karjar View Post
Just for clarity this is the trailer info: Not sure why it goes sideways not that way on my computer
Modern digital cameras always encode the JPEG in the same orientation relative to the sensor. So the picture can be right-side-up, upside-down, or sideways depending on how the camera was held. There's an orientation sensor in the camera which detects the pull of gravity. This gets added to the JPEG's EXIF field (which stores info like exposure, date and time, location, etc). Basically a "this way is up" label for the photo.

Most modern photo viewing apps read this "this way is up" label and change the orientation of the photo before displaying. Unfortunately, the photo display subroutines on many web site servers is very old (dating from the 1990s and early 2000s) and doesn't know about the "this way is up" label. So these sites will display the photo in the orientation the camera encoded it.

This is how apps like Windows Photo Viewer change the orientation of a photo - it simply changes the "this way is up" label. Which unfortunately does nothing on websites which ignore the label. If you really need a photo to display in the correct orientation on all websites, you need to pull the photo into an app like Photoshop which shows it in its actual orientation, rotate it there, and save it as a new JPEG.
post #23 of 34 Old 2 Weeks Ago
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2008 V8
Second Vehicle: 2007 V6
Garage
Like someone else said, the Treg pulling this is a non issue, it has to do with having the comfort to pull the trigger and move forward with your purchase. The sticker you posted is well within a the Touaregs real world towing ability. Remember this is an over engineered job and not something with big numbers just for ego like some of the other SUV's and even trucks out there.

Here is a short video produced by Airstream where the Airstream is compared to your everyday box trailer. The Tow Vehicle here was the Touareg's cousin (but shares the same chassis and most bits with the Trouareg). The box trailer essentially looses control and the truck has to wrestle the thing back onto the ground. Not many tow vehicles would be successful at this. However, the minimal rear overhangs, stiff suspension, and ESP system worked very well to regain control.

I would say that any discomfort you have will melt the second you pull with your Touareg. Best of luck!

post #24 of 34 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter

Thanks everyone. Bit the bullet and bought the trailer. Happy camping days coming.....
post #25 of 34 Old 1 Week Ago
Touareg Mechanic

Garage
Congratulations! You won't be disappointed, be sure to post a picture to the "what do you tow" thread on here.
post #26 of 34 Old 1 Week Ago
Touareg Enthusiast

Second Vehicle: Other
Garage
Congratulations on your purchase! I do hope you did purchase the weight distribution and sway bar hitch. It takes a comfortable enough tow and turns it into a very nimble behaved towing experience. Also, I hope you also included the brake controller to activate the brakes on the trailer. It matter not what kind of tow rig you have, these two systems are a game changer, and the brake controller is a legal requirement.

Speaking to your sons Armada as a tow rig. My brother in law bought an Armada a tow rig, and has regretted the purchase since towing his camper with my TReg. We have very similar campers, and we go camping as families often. I regularly leave him struggling to climb hills as I maintain my 75 MPH cruise control setting. Your son may have bought into the common idea that only massive machines can tow. The TReg turns all these ideas on their heads.

Just this last Spring Break, we (family of four) towed our 24 foot travel trailer from southern Alabama to Canada and back. It continues to tow better than any other tow rig I have ever owned. If you have specific questions, feel free to PM me.

2009 VW Jetta SW TDI with MTM ECU upgrade, Koni suspension, 1/2 inch lowering, summer and winter tires and rims. Stolen by Daughter. Paid Off.
2010 VW Touareg TDI with APR ECU tune. Paid Off
2011 Audi Q7 TDI Prestige...the hottie's car! Paid Off
post #27 of 34 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter

Thanks. I have the Tekonsha P3 ordered and am settling on the WD system. It is of course still winter here so i won't pick it up till April. Gives me time..As to my son he did look at the Touareg when he was trying to decide on the tow vehicle.. with young kids and car seats he just felt it was a bit too small on the interior. I am glad I don't have to pay the fuel bill on his when towing. I must admit some features are nice with the Armada tow package. On board transmission temp gauge and a number of other things geared to towing. I am just now looking for something in a OBD2 scanner and iPhone app that will show me some real time stats but they don't; seem to have Transmission temp
post #28 of 34 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter

Does any body use a backup camera on their camper? If so recommendations? I am assuming wireless easiest to install
post #29 of 34 Old 1 Week Ago
Touareg Mechanic

Garage
Yes wireless is the only way to go. Ties into top running light on trailer (meaning you will need lights on for power) I am a little bit reluctant to recommend the Voyager backup camera as my monitor just broke after warranty. However, the company stood behind the product anyways and honored it outside of warranty. The replacement is 1000 times better than the first monitor was even when new....so I had a lemon. The reviews are pretty good...I think I had a bad experience. The picture is good quality and has saved my butt a few weeks times...

Oh and having sound (which this one does is important too as the is at least one way communication)

https://m.campingworld.com/browse/sk...FQaTfgodFfAOxA
post #30 of 34 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter

Thank you..Pricey guy lol Do you mount the camera on your bumper or up higher?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode