Help, so confused - Page 2 - Club Touareg Forums
 1Likes

post #11 of 34 Old 02-05-2017
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2014 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: too many to list
Quote:
Originally Posted by karjar View Post
Thank you, yes I have read most. lots of varying opinions. seems to be like Oil threads. My son ran numbers for this trailer into a spreadsheet and seems like it is borderline for safely pulling, yet I see guys pulling much more. Also dealer said I didn't need sway control only load levelling as the ECS And ABS cover this, but seems people do use anti sway bars..
Isn't that what your asking us?

The Treg can handle it. Can you? Take that weight for a spin, before buying the trailer.

I just towed a #2200+ or so trailer in HURRICANE force winds 100's of miles with a harbor freight receiver and no other special options.

---
That is the difference between you and me, I never go back to the carpet store.
-Rick

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My VW youtube Channel:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 34 Old 02-05-2017 Thread Starter

Touareg: 2010 V6 TDI
Sorry the trailer I am looking at is 21 feet tip to tip and GVWR of 6120 pounds..I had listed the dry weight of 4200 pounds..
Initially is was looking at trailers in the 4000 pound range of GVWR, but the RV place assured me with weight distribution this would not be a problem for this vehicle...but salesman are in the business of selling, though I would hope they worry about their reputation as well
post #13 of 34 Old 02-05-2017
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2008 V8
Second Vehicle: Other
Since your trailer has a GVWR of 6,120 lbs, you are well within the margin of safety, IMHO. Even your MAX trailer load is LESS than the MAX towing capacity of the Touareg.

I'm not sure what else you're looking for. <shrug>

2008 V8
No VCDS? Get it here:

post #14 of 34 Old 02-05-2017
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2008 V8
Second Vehicle: 2007 V6
Garage
Don't understand how this other number got cooked up. The Treg can tow (in reality) much more than the 7,716 lbs...which as I understand is the max weight allowed for Europe with out a different kind of driver's license.

I have an old V8 with nearly a 100k miles on it. I tow a 32' TT with a loaded weight of 7,500 lbs and 770 lbs on the hitch. The most difficult trip was over the Oregon Coast range on a day that was over 100 degrees (F) with five passengers (ok two were infants) and a 100 lb lab in the back (so just about 100 lbs over loaded per scale). I was able to maintain a cabin temp of 70 degrees while climbing the range at a speed of 55 mph. My engine temp didn't budge and I didn't burn any oil.

My engine doesn't have the torque of a TDI and it did this just fine.

I have been in violent winds with it also...no problem.

Picture is worth a thousand words.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	T2.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	169842  
post #15 of 34 Old 02-06-2017

Second Vehicle: Still looking
Quote:
Sorry the trailer I am looking at is 21 feet tip to tip and GVWR of 6120 pounds..I had listed the dry weight of 4200 pounds..
Are you sure he isn't mixing up the trailer's GVWR (6120 pounds) with the Touareg's GVWR (6493 pounds for 2010)?

The trailer's GVWR is the "do not exceed" weight of the trailer. it applies only to the trailer. It is not the trailer's weight - it's the maximum weight the trailer's axles can handle. So basically the maximum you should ever load the trailer up to.

The Touareg's GVWR is the "do not exceed" weight of the Touraeg. The Touareg's curb weight + tongue weight + occupants & cargo must not exceed this GVWR. The only part of the trailer that matters here is the tongue weight.

If he's adding the trailer's GVWR + driver's weight and cargo, that could exceed the Touareg's GVWR. But that's an incorrect use of these numbers.

• Trailer weight must be less than tow vehicle's tow capacity. Worst case, the trailer weight is the trailer GVWR, which is 6120 pounds. 6120 lbs < 7706 lbs so even in the worst case (fully loaded trailer) the Touareg is OK (with a 20% margin).
  • Tongue weight must be less than tow vehicle's tongue weight limit. For the Touareg this is 770 lbs (much debate about it being 616 pounds omitted). If the trailer's tongue weight is less than this, the Touareg is good to go. Typically tongue weight is 10% of the trailer weight, so the trailer at max load (6120 lbs) would have a tongue weight of 612 lbs. So again is within the Touareg's spec.
  • Curb weight + tongue weight + occupants & cargo must be less than tow vehicle's GVWR. The 2010 Touareg TDI has a GVWR of 6493 pounds and a curb weight of 5304 pounds. Using a max 612 pounds tongue weight, that gives 6493 - 5304 - 612 = 587 pounds of remaining capacity for occupants and cargo.
post #16 of 34 Old 02-06-2017
Touareg Mechanic

Second Vehicle: too many to list

Enough said...

---
That is the difference between you and me, I never go back to the carpet store.
-Rick

My VW youtube Channel:
post #17 of 34 Old 02-06-2017 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solandri View Post
Are you sure he isn't mixing up the trailer's GVWR (6120 pounds) with the Touareg's GVWR (6493 pounds for 2010)?

The trailer's GVWR is the "do not exceed" weight of the trailer. it applies only to the trailer. It is not the trailer's weight - it's the maximum weight the trailer's axles can handle. So basically the maximum you should ever load the trailer up to.

The Touareg's GVWR is the "do not exceed" weight of the Touraeg. The Touareg's curb weight + tongue weight + occupants & cargo must not exceed this GVWR. The only part of the trailer that matters here is the tongue weight.

If he's adding the trailer's GVWR + driver's weight and cargo, that could exceed the Touareg's GVWR. But that's an incorrect use of these numbers.

• Trailer weight must be less than tow vehicle's tow capacity. Worst case, the trailer weight is the trailer GVWR, which is 6120 pounds. 6120 lbs < 7706 lbs so even in the worst case (fully loaded trailer) the Touareg is OK (with a 20% margin).
  • Tongue weight must be less than tow vehicle's tongue weight limit. For the Touareg this is 770 lbs (much debate about it being 616 pounds omitted). If the trailer's tongue weight is less than this, the Touareg is good to go. Typically tongue weight is 10% of the trailer weight, so the trailer at max load (6120 lbs) would have a tongue weight of 612 lbs. So again is within the Touareg's spec.
  • Curb weight + tongue weight + occupants & cargo must be less than tow vehicle's GVWR. The 2010 Touareg TDI has a GVWR of 6493 pounds and a curb weight of 5304 pounds. Using a max 612 pounds tongue weight, that gives 6493 - 5304 - 612 = 587 pounds of remaining capacity for occupants and cargo.

Thank you. This is what I wanted to understand, and does go with my sons concerns that it may be close to the max. He was not advising me to not to buy it, but showing me the numbers. As a first time towing I was looking to actual user experiences about the situation, and an understanding..

As to the 747 being pulled, by a V10 TDI, and I suspect not much tongue weight added since the plane is firmly on ground and level and depending where the hitched it up, could be virtually no added tongue weight. Pulling power...yes impressive.
post #18 of 34 Old 02-06-2017 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiegelglatt View Post
Don't understand how this other number got cooked up. The Treg can tow (in reality) much more than the 7,716 lbs...which as I understand is the max weight allowed for Europe with out a different kind of driver's license.

I have an old V8 with nearly a 100k miles on it. I tow a 32' TT with a loaded weight of 7,500 lbs and 770 lbs on the hitch. The most difficult trip was over the Oregon Coast range on a day that was over 100 degrees (F) with five passengers (ok two were infants) and a 100 lb lab in the back (so just about 100 lbs over loaded per scale). I was able to maintain a cabin temp of 70 degrees while climbing the range at a speed of 55 mph. My engine temp didn't budge and I didn't burn any oil.

My engine doesn't have the torque of a TDI and it did this just fine.

I have been in violent winds with it also...no problem.

Picture is worth a thousand words.
Thank you, this and a post above is where after reading many threads on towing on here, and with my sons input who does tow with an Armada, is the point of my "confusion"..So many people tow and yet there seems like there should be one way to calculate this, and yet on the threads there are many opinions..and on the internet as a whole, hence why I was looking for real life user experience..I initially started looking at trailers in the 4000-4500 GVWR range thinking that would be well safe. Of course as you look, the next trailer seems to be just a bit better, and so on until all of sudden the trailer we really liked was this 21 ft (tip to tip) 6120 GVWR and I was concerned that I was now getting too heavy even though they call these their "extreme lite" haha.

So I was looking for assurances from people familiar with this vehicle.
post #19 of 34 Old 02-06-2017 Thread Starter

Quote:
Thank you, this and a post above is where after reading many threads on towing on here, and with my sons input who does tow with an Armada, is the point of my "confusion"..So many people tow and yet there seems like there should be one way to calculate this, and yet on the threads there are many opinions..and on the internet as a whole, hence why I was looking for real life user experience..I initially started looking at trailers in the 4000-4500 GVWR range thinking that would be well safe. Of course as you look, the next trailer seems to be just a bit better, and so on until all of sudden the trailer we really liked was this 21 ft (tip to tip) 6120 GVWR and I was concerned that I was now getting too heavy even though they call these their "extreme lite" haha.

So I was looking for assurances from people familiar with this vehicle.
Just for clarity this is the trailer info: Not sure why it goes sideways not that way on my computer
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3107.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	700.7 KB
ID:	169850  
post #20 of 34 Old 02-06-2017
Touareg Enthusiast

Second Vehicle: 2009 V6 TDI
The trailer fits the requirements based on weight and length. The best thing to do is talk with the sales people and have them let you test drive the setup around one afternoon to make sure it works for you. So to do this set up the Touareg as you would for a trip, pack it up with the cooler and bags or dog and kids whatever and talk the trailer place to sort of put weight in the trailer to simulate it being loaded up, tanks full of water and propane. etc. Then hook it up and test drive it around to see and feel how it behaves to you, you're the one buying and pulling it. Besides then if you find that this particular setup doesn't work for you your out nothing than a days time and the dealer and you can sit down and figure what would work better. The floorplan and placement of tanks have a big effect on the feel of a trailer as does the axle layout and spacing.
This will also help to determine if or how much weigh distributing hitch bars or sway control needs to factored in so that the dealer can help set it up. They should have the scales to assist with that.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode