Expedition/Overland built Regs - Club Touareg Forums
 1Likes

post #1 of 17 Old 05-07-2010 Thread Starter

Touareg: 2004 R5 TDI
Expedition/Overland built Regs

I was wanting to see if there are any expedition or overland built Touaregs out there. I have been on the debate to make my 05 V8 one, or just buying an FJ80 or something like that thats cheaper and less expensive if it breaks. If you do have one or pics of some, please post'em!! I would be doing most of my trips in and around Death Valley and in the Sierra Nevadas.

Thanks in advance!

05 Touareg V8 w/ sat-nav, air suspension, and one happy driver!

95.5 Audi S6 Avant w/ a few mods, but needs more!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 05-10-2010
Touareg Addict

Second Vehicle: Still looking
The closest you'll get is this:
2005 Volkswagen VW Touareg Expedition

Expedtion/Overlanding/Off-Road gear for the Touareg is basically non-existant.

Relocated to Aus. Starting fresh.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 17 Old 05-10-2010 Thread Starter

Wow, that sucks. Its a shame that there is not more out there. I really the Reg in the link you posted. Looks pretty good! I wonder if I can get the roof rack and tent from VW?

What about you? Do you do overland exploration? Your Reg looks like it is built for it?.

post #4 of 17 Old 05-10-2010
Touareg Addict

You can get all of that stuff from VW... at a price... Last I heard, the aluminium skid plates are 4,500 for a set.

I've done a fair bit of cross-border traveling in mine, yes. But getting the Treg up to the spec I want is a premanent on-going project. Mine has the steel suspension, so I fitted a lift kit from Seikel and bigger tyres. I'm about 2 1/2" higher than standard now. I also have a full size spare that I throw on the roof rack when going off-road and a set of 4mm steel bash plates to protect the sump and transmission.

Next on the list are some rock sliders, spare wheel carrier on the back and maybe a snorkel. Then I'd also start looking at fitting a second battery.

Since nothing's really available in the market, I try to do some of these things myself as time allows.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 17 Old 05-11-2010 Thread Starter

Your rig does look good. I figured that VW would have their (over the top) "price" for those things, but man thats really pricey! I would love to take my Reg out and wheel it, but I am thinking that I would be worried about it breaking electronically and being stuck out somewhere. Or doing some sort of body damage. I guess I would just really need to be careful!

post #6 of 17 Old 06-05-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnjeep314 View Post
I was wanting to see if there are any expedition or overland built Touaregs out there. I have been on the debate to make my 05 V8 one, or just buying an FJ80 or something like that thats cheaper and less expensive if it breaks. If you do have one or pics of some, please post'em!! I would be doing most of my trips in and around Death Valley and in the Sierra Nevadas.

Thanks in advance!
Great question. I'd love to see more too! I've been after a G-Wagen for some time and there are many items available for overland use for them.

Items like roof racks(alum), roof top tents, front winch(ORC), drawer system(African Outback or other), seem to be available.

http://www.orc.de//inhalt.php?bereic...v=13&sprache=2
post #7 of 17 Old 06-05-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrieK View Post
You can get all of that stuff from VW... at a price... Last I heard, the aluminium skid plates are €4,500 for a set.

I've done a fair bit of cross-border traveling in mine, yes. But getting the Treg up to the spec I want is a premanent on-going project. Mine has the steel suspension, so I fitted a lift kit from Seikel and bigger tyres. I'm about 2 1/2" higher than standard now. I also have a full size spare that I throw on the roof rack when going off-road and a set of 4mm steel bash plates to protect the sump and transmission.

Next on the list are some rock sliders, spare wheel carrier on the back and maybe a snorkel. Then I'd also start looking at fitting a second battery.

Since nothing's really available in the market, I try to do some of these things myself as time allows.
Andrie,

Do you have a link to the Seikel lift kit? 2.5" is a lot and I only see a 30mm(1.2") lift kit on their site--is that the one?
How has it affected your handling or alignment at all?
What size tires are you on now?

What about getting the OEM VW spare tire carrier?
Something on the hitch would work too (I forget the US company name I know makes em) but departure angles would decrease.
post #8 of 17 Old 06-07-2010
Touareg Addict

Here's the link to the Seikel kit:
http://www.vw-offroad-seikel.de/inde...=1&tt_products[cat]=71&tt_products[product]=74&cHash=899d013b74

AFAIK there's only one kit, but I actually got a bit more lift than advertised (closer to 40mm). Could be that my original springs sagged a bit.

I'm also running Bridgestone Dueler A/T D694's in 265/65R17, which also gives me a bit of extra height.

The ride is a little firmer than stock, but the difference is very small. Other than that it rides like any other steel sprung Treg. I still set the alignment to factory specs. Tyre wear is perfect. No issues. But I DO rotate fairly often (every 5,000km).

I enquired about retrofitting the OE spare wheel carrier when I bought my Treg, but the quote I got from the dealer was ZAR45,000 (US$5,800). The rear door is diffferent and there's a lot of electronics involved as it has an electric lock similar to the rear door and it's wired into the alarm system. It also uses a different rear bumper. You also can't fit an oversized tyre on there as it interferes with the bumper.

Problem for us here in SA is that we have a goose-neck type rear hitch. We don't have a 2" square receiver to plug anything into, so we can't use that for a spare tyre option either.

post #9 of 17 Old 06-12-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrieK View Post
Here's the link to the Seikel kit:
Single View*- www.seikel.de[cat]=71&tt_products[product]=74&cHash=899d013b74

AFAIK there's only one kit, but I actually got a bit more lift than advertised (closer to 40mm). Could be that my original springs sagged a bit.

I'm also running Bridgestone Dueler A/T D694's in 265/65R17, which also gives me a bit of extra height.

The ride is a little firmer than stock, but the difference is very small. Other than that it rides like any other steel sprung Treg. I still set the alignment to factory specs. Tyre wear is perfect. No issues. But I DO rotate fairly often (every 5,000km).

I enquired about retrofitting the OE spare wheel carrier when I bought my Treg, but the quote I got from the dealer was ZAR45,000 (US$5,800). The rear door is diffferent and there's a lot of electronics involved as it has an electric lock similar to the rear door and it's wired into the alarm system. It also uses a different rear bumper. You also can't fit an oversized tyre on there as it interferes with the bumper.

Problem for us here in SA is that we have a goose-neck type rear hitch. We don't have a 2" square receiver to plug anything into, so we can't use that for a spare tyre option either.
Ok, that's the one I saw.

Good to hear on the alignment being in spec.

Oh wow, good to know! A local (white?) Treg in Oregon here has one--lady was driving it. Lots of money for that mod.

Oh yeah, like a G-Wagen. Must be a euro-thing.
post #10 of 17 Old 01-27-2017
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2010 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: is not a VW
Been researching this myself. I think for the most part we need to fabricate our own gear. I am heading to the Overland Expo (located in Flagstaff AZ this May). About 35 min from my house.

Rear Drawer System for VW Touareg -

Jason

- 10' TDI

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode