Expedition/Overland built Regs - Page 2 - Club Touareg Forums
 1Likes

post #11 of 17 Old 01-27-2017
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2012 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: Still looking
I was there with my Touareg last year and think I was the only Touareg there. I just have larger than stock A/T tires, but it did OK on White Rim Road in Canyonlands after the Expo. I built a sleeping platform and kept the spare in the back mounted vertically. I have a small danfoss fridge and 50w portable solar running everything off the one stock battery. It works for me but it's not a serious overlanding rig. If I needed that I'd probably get a beater 4Runner or old Land Cruiser.

Nice 7-year thread bump BTW
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 17 Old 01-28-2017
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2010 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: is not a VW
Nice. I am looking to do something with mine. I'd like to raise it but I have heard bad things about that even though Siek. has lift kits (no longer available it seems).

I might go for a Land Cruiser myself. But Love to see if I could do anything with this car, more unique. Since I am in the car business now, maybe I can start making my own stuff. hmm.

7 year bump. haha!

Jason

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

- 10' TDI
post #13 of 17 Old 01-30-2017

If it wasn't Mothers Day weekend, I'd be looking at Overland Expo in Flagstaff as well.

For what I'd consider 'Overlanding' (in NA at least), it's really just getting the rig equipped for off-road use. A/T's, belly protection, spare, fridge/cooler. It'd be more about being able to access some points further off the grid, and I'm OK sleeping in a tent as opposed to on the vehicle.

post #14 of 17 Old 01-30-2017
Touareg Enthusiast

I agree, I will not pay for a $1800 tent for the roof. Cool but I don't mind setting up my tent on the ground.

Jason

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

- 10' TDI
post #15 of 17 Old 01-30-2017
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2012 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: Still looking
In my T3 I can easily sleep in the back with the passenger seat moved as far forward as possible. I'm 5'10". I built a sleeping platform that is raised up about 5" in the back so there is a flat surface. This results in a very slight upward slope, but you could make it completely level if you raise the back even more, or just park with the front wheels slightly down hill.

Took me a couple of hours and a sheet of ASB plywood I had lying around. I covered it with stapled on reflectix I also had lying around to avoid splinters.
alfissimo likes this.
post #16 of 17 Old 01-30-2017
Touareg Enthusiast

Cool. Love to see pics sometime. I am sure you have it out during winter but shoot some when you have it back in. If I get to keep my 10' TDI I will do something with it. Right now I am up in the air. I will try finding a V10 of I have to buyback. (damn it!!!) CA registered car so I may be screwed.

I am 5'11" I won't fit. hahaha. I do, I have slept back there and although not perfect I could do it again. I prefer the tent though.

Jason

- 10' TDI
post #17 of 17 Old 01-30-2017
Touareg Enthusiast

I want to build my own drawer system to fit a fridge too. I do not need much more height, Just a slightly higher tire will do. I can get almost anywhere in this thing with some reservations. I don't want a 4runner or Cruiser. Not my style!

Jason

- 10' TDI

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode