ESP behavior - Page 2 - Club Touareg Forums
 1Likes

post #11 of 14 Old 12-16-2016 Thread Starter
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2007 V8
Second Vehicle: Still looking
We got more slush today! About a week ago I coded my trans back to 4216 for North American setting from 4200 (ROW). Just curious to see if it had an affect on ESC. While I know the slush today is not exactly the same as a couple weeks ago, esc certainly seemed to kick on more today. Wonder if 4200 coding is less sensitive?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 14 Old 12-16-2016

Touareg: 2008 V8
Second Vehicle: Other
My 0.02:

If you break all four tires loose at the same time, ESP isn't going to recognize a problem, save for whatever acceleration sensors are present disagreeing with the steering angle input (ie. sensors say you're going straight, yet the wheels are turned left/right). If I mat the throttle on ice or something slippery, with the steering wheel straight, there's a noticeable delay (if I get any before I apply the brakes/let off the throttle) in TCS intervention.

Likewise, lock up all four wheels at the exact same time, and the ABS system won't necessarily work because it operates on a wheel speed differential basis. My understanding is that the Touareg (and I'm sure many other vehicles nowadays) has sensors to detect the actual acceleration of the vehicle to allow the TCS/ABS to work under these circumstances.

Slush is far and away the worst (next to ice) traction-wise that I've driven in, so it sounds like you're just loosing traction at all four corners and the system is "working as intended".
post #13 of 14 Old 12-17-2016

Touareg: 2015 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: Other
I've noticed that under similar circumstances (turning from a stop on snow/slush/ice) with my '15 that it does like to hang it's tail out quite a bit, to the point I correct it before any aids kick on. They do kick on if I don't correct the slide (I've played around like you to see) I attributed it to the 40/60 power split f/r. That also seems to be the biggest difference between on road and off road modes. It's much harder to kick the tail out due to the electronics and also what feels like a 50/50 power split.

2004 GMC Envoy "Rusty"(Sold), 2013 Jetta TDI (Buyback, 2017 MB GLC on order)

post #14 of 14 Old 12-30-2016
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2004 V6
Second Vehicle: VW 2
2002 - 2010 Touareg Off Road Quick Reference Sheet

According to this the ESP does not work under 25mph.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode