Club Touareg Forum banner

Comments/Advice from long term TT towers

2K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  agclone 
#1 ·
I’ve spent the last week or so reading through all of the towing forums and really appreciate all of the insight and knowledge. I still haven’t been able to get to the complete answers I have been looking for though.

I am currently trying to decide if I should buy a 09-12 Touraeg TDI for my wife’s daily driver and our family towing vehicle or if I should buy her another ½ ton pickup (Ram more than likely).

Our other current vehicle is a BMW X3 and I have had VW TDI Jetta’s in the past and am consistently happier with German vehicles over their domestic competitors.

The real concern is that this second vehicle has to be a towing vehicle and I am still not 100% sure that the Touraeg will fit our needs. We currently don’t have a TT but will be purchasing one this spring.

We are not sure what TT we will purchase, but it will likely not be an AirStream or any of the other super lightweight options many of you tow on here. I have search all over Iowa and there is really not dealers or market for any of those brands here.

Many of the posts about towing are multiple years old now, I would be interested in hearing from some of you that have been towing for multiple years now with the Touraeg. I really want the Touraeg to work for us but just need some more convincing. Any advice from the long term tower’s would be appreciated (best hitch, trailers, etc).

See less See more
#2 ·
The Touareg is a great towing vehicle and rides like a car, not a truck. I have been towing Caravans ( you call then TT's) for 30 years and the Touareg is as good as any. 3500 kg (7700 lb) towing capacity with up to 350 kg (770 lb) ball weight, what more to you need. My V6 TDI hardly feels the weight of the caravan on the road. And fuel consumption is up with the best.

Stuart..

#3 ·
I tow a Fleetwood E1 with my 2011 Hybrid and it does an excellent job. I have been very happy, even going though high slope West Virginia roads. I go to manual shift mode, however, as the Touareg defaults to higher RPM than makes sense (which adversely affects the gas mileage).

#4 ·
I also bought the 2014 Touareg TD! with the hope to tow a travel trailer. My issue is although the truck is rated at 7,700 lbs the hitch weight dropped from 770 t 616lbs.

The T1/T2 Touaregs had a 770 hitch weight white the equivalent MY Q7s and Cayenne trucks had 616 and 6,600 libs. I am still wondering what changed in the T3 or did the manufacturer just take the easy way out and labelled all of the variants a 616 hitch weight?

#6 ·
The tongue weight is usually at least 10% of the trailer weight. As such it is not likely that you can tow the full 7,700 pounds that the T3 is rated for. I have been looking at an Airstream and with the tongue weight at 616 I am fairly limited in my options.

#7 ·
I am currently trying to decide if I should buy a 09-12 Touraeg TDI for my wife’s daily driver and our family towing vehicle or if I should buy her another ½ ton pickup (Ram more than likely).
You mention 09 to 12 Tregs, but that time span encompasses two very different versions of the Touareg, the 7L model which was up until 2010 and the 7P which is 2011 onwards.
The 7L model has a six speed gearbox, is heavier, and depending on what market etc has a 350 kg ball weight to go with a 3500 kg towing spec (approx 7700 and 770 lbs respectively).
The 7P model has a lighter body, eight speed gearbox, better claimed fuel consumption, the same 3500 kg towing spec and depending on market a 280 kg ball limit (the 616 lbs talked about).
The 7P model has been know to suffer steering wheel shake (SWS) on a large number of vehicle. This does not seem to have been an issue on the earlier 7L model. There are other differences and problems between them. Use the search function to check.
You really are looking at two different (albeit related) vehicle in the time span you are considering. Treat them as separate and do your research accordingly.

Oh and on the subject of ball weight Newmarket, it very much depends on which market you are in as to what the ball weight specs will be. 10% of the towing capacity is generally used where I come from (Australia) and I will take your word for it in NA (though I thought a lot of vehicles had 12 to 15%), but in Europe it is very common for vehicles to have a ball weight at 5%. The type of frailer you have, construction etc and ball hitch can make a difference. Just because the ball weight is below the 10% you usually see does not mean you cannot tow the full tow weight. You may be uncomfortable in doing so, and if so then a prudent person will not do so, but it is not accurate to say you cannot tow the full 3500kg towing weight.

#8 ·
Thanks to everyone for the quick replies. PJOD I appreciate you pointing out that they are two different models of the Touraeg. We were aware of that and I have done research on both, the reason I put 09-12 is that those are the model years that are probably going to be in our price range. I was looking to get a little contrast from others that have either one and have towed for a while with them.

Really hoping I can come from this thread with a good idea of what others have found is the ideal towing setup and TT for the Touraeg. That was we can make a decision if it will work for us.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.