Club Touareg Forum banner

Can Touareg DTI Tow this RV trailer?

7K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  MtnPass 
#1 ·
#3 ·
It should tow just fine, but I would recommend a touareg with air suspension for that.

Take the towing easy. No amount of engineering can overcome physics.

#4 ·
Should be fine. watch your tongue weight and MEASURE it with an actual scale. 60lbs of propane and 40lbs of batteries, along with other loading can easily put tongue weight over the max.

#6 ·
Definitely not on the T3 or new T4.

#8 ·
you can retrofit air suspension on the T3's in the states. No idea on the cost though.

#10 ·
I also am considering the Touareg TDI to pull a similar size trailer. Yes, the Yes, the dry and total capacity weight of the trailer is easily within the 7700 tow rating of the Touareg with about a 1000 lb buffer fully loaded. On paper, the Jayco's 425 hitch rating is well under VW's limit (open to debate and starting a new thread to clarify) however, with the Jayco and most other travel trailers, major storage is the external passthrough under the bed and the internal storage lifting the bed. All of that is between the axels and hitch which means everything you store is going to raise the hitch weight above the published 425 which is based on dry weight with LP tanks filled and holding tanks empty. Consider a scale to measure true hitch weight when loaded.

#11 ·
Tizeye, very good point. Also note that TT makers typically do not include the weight of propane and batteries...2 30lb tanks plus a pair of batteries up front adds an easy 100lbs to the tongue weight.

#12 ·
Yeah, they usually are not clear on weight in marketing material which gives a universal guide. However, the one that counts is the sticker usually on the door that gives the weight for that specific trailer as it left the factory. Usually it will have the language "with all factory installed options, filled LP tank and battery, but empty holding tanks". That is the number to go by. YOu would want to tow with empty black and gray waste tanks and minimal (5 gallons or so) in the fresh water tank, filling up at destination.

Worse, IMO, is how misleading the length is. Almost universally they give the box size and exclude the true towing size when looking at the model number. You consistently have to add 2 to 4 feet. FOr example, the Jayco 23MD the OP linked to start this thread does have a 23' box, but the total length being towed is 26' 11" which could be a chore for a short wheelbase SUV. You don't want to be mislead thinking it is a 23' load abeing towed. It would make far more sense for them to call it the 2611MD. Airstreams are closer to the model number with usually less than a foot difference. For example, their 23' Flying Cloud actual bumper to hitch measure (overall length) is 23' 9"...well short of the 26' 11" of the Jayco 23 with weight capacity about the same. Unfortunately, neither have the floorplan I want.

#13 ·
I towed a 2011 Heartland Edge 23 foot travel trailer about 10,000 miles in 2014. The Edge had a dry weight of 3,500 and a fully loaded weight of 4,400 US pounds. Weight of fresh water was a big factor, and generally water tank is forward of trailer wheels so this increases the tongue weight substantially. Water weighs 8.4 pounds per gallon.

I generally traveled with at least water tank at least 25% filled and the hot water heater filled, for about 150 pounds of water weight. I found that having some water in the fresh tank increased tongue weight which reduced trailer sway. You want at least 10 % of your trailer weight on the tongue to control sway.

My 2006 Touareg with 4.2 L V8 and Air Suspension towed the Edge with no problems, but I was at about 1,000 lbs. less trailer weight and 200-300 pounds less tongue weight then you will have, as the Edge had much smaller water tank and was ultra light weight construction vs. your Jay Flight.

You should be within Touareg spec. Be sure to maintain proper tire inflation, in particular setting the rear tire pressures to the recommended higher pressures when running the extra weight. I also found that tire rotation was important as the rears had slightly higher wear than the fronts when towing.

#14 ·
We have a kodiak 200qb and our Touareg pulls it just fine with similar weight. I researched this to no end last spring. So on the weight side you will be fine. Buried in the RV industry specs I found the maximum rv length is calculated by dividing your wheel base by 5. We come to 22.5feet. The RV lengths are listed to the size of the box. The tongue area will add another 4 ft.

This is one of the key TDI touareg a towing limitations. I know people are pushing this limit with much longer TT. Having a much longer trailer means the anti sway become more of a challenge. We hit one of those extremes in eastern Utah driving through a mountain cut with no wind, to hit a 70 mile per hour crosswind on the other side! I think the ESP computer saved us.

The TT get really nice when you reach 30' I hope this helps.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.