Club Touareg Forum banner

Can a T2 TDI tow this sailboat?

Tags
tdi towing
8K views 23 replies 13 participants last post by  kman1984 
#1 ·
Trailer and boat combo is about 4800lb. The boat weighs around 2800lb, and about 1400lb of that is in the bottom 2' of the keel, which rides about 12" from the pavement.

My primary concern is the surface area / windage. Also, I speculate the tongue weight is around 10%, but I'm not sure. How critical is air suspension?

Any thoughts?

This is the boat. 26' long with a tandem axel trailer and surge brakes. Obviously we drop the rig for transport.

See less See more
#4 ·
Looking at the I'd say the Tdi will be fine.

Just use some common sense if the weather isn't good when towing.

As when "driving" the boat itself, sometimes it is just safer to stay "in port"!

#7 ·
Yes, you can.

I routinely tow a 32-foot Farrier trimaran with a 2010 TDI. Boat weighs around 3500 with gear and trailer around 1200. Yes, windage is a concern, but surprisingly, suspension is not. I have fairly high tongue weight--close to 700 pounds, to prevent sway, and the Treg still sits level with the boat attached. Compared to my old F150 v-8 it's night and day. I hope to never have to tow with a gas engine again.
Someday I will get a new trailer or convert my coupler to electric-over-hydraulic. Surge brakes are dicey at these weights.
Bill

Attachments

#8 ·
Do you have air suspension?

I routinely tow a 32-foot Farrier trimaran with a 2010 TDI. Boat weighs around 3500 with gear and trailer around 1200. Yes, windage is a concern, but surprisingly, suspension is not. I have fairly high tongue weight--close to 700 pounds, to prevent sway, and the Treg still sits level with the boat attached. Compared to my old F150 v-8 it's night and day. I hope to never have to tow with a gas engine again.
Someday I will get a new trailer or convert my coupler to electric-over-hydraulic. Surge brakes are dicey at these weights.
Bill

#14 ·
I pull a rig I estimate to be 6200# all in. Initially, I towed behind a 2005 V8 with air and now behind a steel sprung 2013 TDI.

Grunt and pulling power and top speed are not an issue...but honestly, the air suspension turns a very capable tow vehicle into an outstanding one. 6X a year won't matter to you.

#16 ·
Boat Towing

HEY! a J/80, huh? I tow my J/22 behind my 05 with air, which is absolutely no big deal, and most of my towing is up here in the mountains of Colorado. Climbing up from Lake Dillon, at 9100 feet to over 11,000 feet at the Eisenhower Tunnel has been a breeze. The Treg downshifts into fifth, and the oil warms up a bit, but it's among the best vehicles I've ever used to haul the boat. I've hauled with Range Rovers (yuck) and big Tahoes. (prettygood) You'll be fine.

Mark DeDionisio

#20 ·
Good, but no need to SHOUT about it!

#21 ·
I tow a 22' enclosed trailer with two UTVs inside. I have the wireless electric brakes. I tow at 70 mph all the time and my TDI tows it great.

#22 ·
Here is a picture of my 2012 Touareg TDI Executive with trailer.

Attachments

#23 ·
I pull a Thistle and you can't even tell it is behind you. I also regualary pull a single-axle utility trailer, 3000#s. I have an 05 V-6 with the steel spring sport suspension. I also pulled a 26 cargo trailer up from Miami for a friend. The motor was working hard, but pulled it like it was on rails. The suspension and chassic are solid and the Touareg pulls wonderfully. A V-8 or TDI would be even better, my V-6 can't even start to take advantage of the Touareg's towing capability.

Attachments

#24 ·
Trailer and boat combo is about 4800lb. The boat weighs around 2800lb, and about 1400lb of that is in the bottom 2' of the keel, which rides about 12" from the pavement. My primary concern is the surface area / windage. Also, I speculate the tongue weight is around 10%, but I'm not sure. How critical is air suspension? Any thoughts? This is the boat. 26' long with a tandem axel trailer and surge brakes. Obviously we drop the rig for transport.
That looks like a j80. I pulled a j27 with no problems. Best towing car I ever used with the boat

--Konrad

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.