Brake Controller Basics + Prodigy Solution - Club Touareg Forums

post #1 of 135 Old 11-06-2010 Thread Starter

Touareg: 2006 V10 TDI
Second Vehicle: too many to list
Brake Controller Basics + Prodigy Solution

These questions get asked so often, I think it would be good to sticky this Tekonsha Tech Bulletin. It was posted here before, but took me a long time to find it.

Not only does it show the essential parts to connect into the OEM harness, it shows how to solve the Prodigy and P3 problem with normal brake lamp signal.

This bulletin was issued Jan 21, 2009, so it did not list the newer Primus IQ controller, but it may also need the same relay solution. Can anyone verify that?

I know others have suggested some improvements to this curcuit and have made some nice looking harnesses.

SteveK-O

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'12 Polaris 800 Rush Pro-R LE

'12 Polaris RZR S
'06 VW Touareg V10 TDI+Air Suspension

'01 VW Passat V6 30V 4Motion
'98 Audi A4 V6 30V Quattro+Manual+Sport
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 135 Old 11-07-2010

Touareg: 2007 V8
Second Vehicle: Still looking
Thanks for posting the entire bulletin. I've only seen the shorter 2 page version, so this is very helpful.

However - one piece of information that is missleading (and caused me a bit of confusion when I read JFSChecks post and this bulletin) is that it says this fix covers 2005-2008 Touaregs. It's important to note that some touaregs with this range (2007 for example) do NOT have the 4 pin harness referred to under the dash. You have to run a red and a blue wire from the back of the car behind the right taillight up under the dash. As I haven't worked out all the connections yet I wont comment on where to connect what under the dash, but I planned to post a comprehensive guide showing exactly what to do for those that don't have the harness and have a Prodiigy 3. Right now I am piecing together information from: JFS Checks original Cayenne/Prodigy Guide, his updated Prodigy/Touareg 2 guide (with the harness under the dash), and the DIY guide for non prodigy controllers without the harness under the dash.

It's just a lot of searching around and its taken quite a bit of time to figure all of this out. For those with very very little electrical experience its confusing

Also - I found in separate posts that you have to have the VAG COM flash for LED lights on trailers. Great information, but needs to be consolidated. Your post would be a great place to start!
post #3 of 135 Old 11-07-2010 Thread Starter

Yes there are a number of issues beyond the tech bulletin.

2007 no harness? - it has been stated in threads that the harness to the brake controller is not there for MY 2007 and later, however I think some with 2007-2008 with OEM towing package have found the connector, so it may only be more hidden

The contoller is built in? - some dealers have told people the brake controller is built in, but of course that is not true, they are confused about the towing control module being built in which is a CAN control module I think

It has been posted that the suggested wires for the brake controller harness should be the heavier wires of 000 979 302

It has been suggested a switch be added to keep the relay from switching when there is no trailer, but some claim the OEM system does not send a braking signal down terminal 3 unless a trailer is detected. This makes a switch only useful for a quick disable of electric braking for backup.

In line fuses have been suggested to be added to the circuit in the bulletin.

People have suggested and tried pulling "Hot at all times" off terminal 2 or terminal 3 and "Ground" for the relay off terminal 1. This seems reasonable, but I have not tried it.

SteveK-O

'12 Polaris RZR S

post #4 of 135 Old 11-07-2010
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: Still looking
To some of the points here.

I have a early production 2008 and the harness exists but it's tucked very high up into the wiring harness and hard to find. I find it hard to believe they every eliminated it, just to bring it back a year later and what really happened is people couldn't find it so they assumed it wasn't there. Just my opinion but it existed on my '04 Cayenne and my '08 Treg.

NO, there has NEVER been a BRAKE controller built in, they has ALWAYS been a tow package controller that installs on the right rear quarter panel above the wheel well.

I don't think there's a problem with the wire gauge and it seemed the same from '04 - '08 across both Porsche and VW. I don't think there's a problem.

I can confirm that there is no voltage provided to pin 3 when there is not a 7 pin trailer connected to the truck. This was true for both models I owned and is controlled by the tow controller that has not had a major re-engineering since they came out in '03. There is no need for any switch, the relay does not fire when there is no trailer attached.

I pulled hot and ground from the harness itself and it works perfectly using the Tyco mini relay referenced in other posts.

The only changes you need to make to the diagram in that bulletin are to tap Pin 1 (white) to Pin 85 on the relay and pin 2 (black) to pin 30. That will supply ground and 12V to operate the relay and provide 12V to the brake signal for the controller.

Cogito Ergo Zoom!
I Think, therefore I go fast

'12 Grand Cherokee SRT8
'11 CC
'03 Boxster S
'08 Touareg V8 (sold)
'04 Cayenne TT (sold)
post #5 of 135 Old 11-07-2010

I know it has been posted in several places that some models do not have the harness. And I can tell you, that after over an hour of searching all over, behind the major factory bundles, up under the dash itself, and even feeling around with my hands where I can't see - there is no bundle/harness. I also had VW print out an entire manifest of everything that was installed at the factory (not the standard factory options window sticker, but the entire manifest that shows all the behind the scenes log created when the specific vehicle is built) and there is nothing there that shows a harness being installed.

My touareg in an 07 built at the end of 06. It looks like a Touareg 2 (new grill and lights, new rails on top). I think it might be an in-between model as I know they started making changes this year before they started calling them T2s.
post #6 of 135 Old 11-07-2010 Thread Starter

I would think any vehicle sold with a towing package including a 7-pin connector with no provision to add a brake controller is defective, meaning a screw-up from the design team or production. With mutiple harnesses and options and MY changes, it can happen. Maybe Bratislava beat Prague in hockey the night before the build.

SteveK-O

'12 Polaris RZR S

post #7 of 135 Old 11-14-2010

Well - working with the DIY wiring guide for Touareg's that don't have the brake controller wiring harness under the dash, with JFSCheck's helpful posts, with the full bulletin posted above, and a wiring diagram I found online for how to wire up an automotive relay (found out that some relays are not labeled with the same pin #'s as in bulletin)....I got my Prodigy 3 installed.

I tested it and the splash screen appears. Now I just need a trailer to test it out on.

Anyway - progress!
post #8 of 135 Old 11-16-2010

Thought I would post this here - I found it helpful as I knew nothing about wiring up a relay for the prodigy 3 (required). Hope someone finds this helpful:

Wiring a Relay for Accessories
post #9 of 135 Old 11-19-2010
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2010 V6 TDI
I know this seems like alot of work - but guys - don't we have a great Tow rig once everything is all set up?

John "JFScheck" Scheck
TV = '11 F-350 King Ranch 6.7L 4x4 SB SRW - Forrest Green & Chaparral Leather
TT = '11 30 Classic Limited - Praline Leather & Hickory Wood
Hitch = ProPride "Pivot Point Projection" (3P) Hitch

"Enjoy life. There's plenty of time to be dead."
**I Love U.S.A.**
post #10 of 135 Old 01-11-2011

Touareg: 2004 V8
Second Vehicle: is not a VW
The diagram posted by SteveK-0 and the thread is really helpful. On the diagram itself, for P3 installation do you wire the P3 to the brake lamp signal or to the brake pedal switch.

Thanks

Ben

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode