Brake Controller Basics + Prodigy Solution - Page 7 - Club Touareg Forums

post #61 of 135 Old 03-11-2012
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2004 R5 TDI
Second Vehicle: a bicycle
All done! Thank you very much gentlemen.

The controller tells me there is no trailer attached. So I guess it's working.
For the trailer battery, is it the extra power wire I have that I connect to the battery through pin 2 on the 7 pin plug? I just checked the schematic, so yes it is.
Neil

'05 R5 std.
'98 Mk3 Cabrio. For Sale!
'11 Polo TDi.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 135 Old 03-11-2012
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2011 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by Signon View Post
All done! Thank you very much gentlemen.

The controller tells me there is no trailer attached. So I guess it's working.
For the trailer battery, is it the extra power wire I have that I connect to the battery through pin 2 on the 7 pin plug? I just checked the schematic, so yes it is.
Neil
If you are just using a 7 pin on the trailer side, pin 2 is the go. If you have the full 12 pins (7+5) you also have pin 8 as an option. Just depends on how the trailer is wired.
Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-03-11_213526.png
Views:	293
Size:	22.2 KB
ID:	16190

Also note that the power doesn't go direct to the battery, the Carlisle documentation mentions a "charger".
It's good that the controller says there is no trailer attached (if there isn't one attached ).
As Siberian said, you should also hear the relay click in when you put your foot on the brake.

Good luck with the commissioning and good luck with the fish

That must be a decent sized boat if you have a breakaway system.
post #63 of 135 Old 03-11-2012
Touareg Enthusiast

Relay clicks!
I'm not sure what the trailer wiring looks like. I have just looked at the same pics you show. I also just remembered that I have the trailer 'load' module to attach as well. I checked and, well, I'll be. It seems to be fully wired for electric trailer brakes and power.
For the breakaway power I might buy some anderson plugs just in case.
The boat is an '09 Wittley CR2590. It replaces a Whittley 580. It's waiting for me in Brissy.

'05 R5 std.
'11 Polo TDi.

post #64 of 135 Old 03-11-2012
Touareg Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Signon View Post
The boat is an '09 Wittley CR2590. It replaces a Whittley 580. It's waiting for me in Brissy.
Nice !
post #65 of 135 Old 03-15-2012
My God,it's full of stars

Touareg: 2008 V8
Second Vehicle: 2008 V6
I just remembered why the "need" for constant power on the Tekonsha. According to the booklet the constant (non switched) 12v supply is to prevent the unit from forgetting the settings and thus having to reset after every shut off.

For the P3 at least this is bogus. It does remember even if you don't supply a constant source of power. To avoid any other potential source of battery drain, I connected mine to a switched source and it works fine without the potential battery drain problem associated with a permanent live connection.

siberian

The best long distance runners eat raw meat, run naked and sleep in the snow

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #66 of 135 Old 03-15-2012
Touareg Enthusiast

Towed my boat over 600km to home yesterday.The prodigy worked like a charm. Some minor adjustment of the boost because of the wet roads in Brisbane. The car handled it well. 8.5l/100 on the way down and went to 15.5 coming home. I reckon it would of been higher if I'd have zeroed the outputs for the trip home. I found that if I turned off the cruise control I could get better economy and a smoother ride.

The P3 turns itself off after some time. I've put mine under the dash just off my right knee and used the quick release.

'05 R5 std.
'11 Polo TDi.
post #67 of 135 Old 03-15-2012
Touareg Enthusiast

I'll say it again, nice

With the current weather I'm surprised you didn't fly down and cruise back in the boat.
post #68 of 135 Old 03-15-2012
Touareg Enthusiast

I had a fairly good weather window. Pouring in Brisbane and just a bit of drizzle elsewhee on the way back north. The gps took me on a short cut around west of Gympie and the roads were empty but narrow and then oh, what's this. Dirt for about 10km. That didn't save any time at all. Now need to get the boat serviced and in the water.

'05 R5 std.
'11 Polo TDi.
post #69 of 135 Old 06-10-2012

Touareg: 2009 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: Still looking
Hi guys, I think I have read and re-read every brake controller thread and still have some questions. I have a 2009 TDI with factory tow kit and we have a new boat >2.5 tonne on it's way with electric over hydraulic brakes. A mate is doing the controller install for me next weekend and has obtained a P3 and I have the wires and plug from VW. The trailer is coming from the US and the manufacturer said he has pre wired with a "flat 12 pin connector".

My questions are:

1. The brake actuator also needs a 12v supply I assume there is nothing to tap into down the back of the car and we'll have to run a new wire from the front - is this best done via a wire tapped fuse as c4ar mentioned earlier in this thread?

2. the car currently has a round 7 pin so we'll have to replace it a flat 12 pin. Will the flat 12 pin still allow us to connect a flat 7 pin for towing our other trailer?

3. I know nothing about relays, what is the best (not noisy) type to use?

thanks

Darren
post #70 of 135 Old 06-10-2012
Touareg Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren02 View Post
1. The brake actuator also needs a 12v supply I assume there is nothing to tap into down the back of the car and we'll have to run a new wire from the front - is this best done via a wire tapped fuse as c4ar mentioned earlier in this thread?
Don't know if there is a 12V aux supply on the standard VW plug (I don't have one). Even if there is, it may only be activated when the trailer is attached.
Where you access the 12 V supply would depend on what the maximum load is. I think wire tap fuses go up to 20A. You can also use an in-line fuse with a spade connector inserted at the fuse box. I find this better because if the fuse blows you can replace it with a regular fuse. If a wire tapped fuse blows you need to get another wire tapped fuse.

Quote:
2. the car currently has a round 7 pin so we'll have to replace it a flat 12 pin. Will the flat 12 pin still allow us to connect a flat 7 pin for towing our other trailer?
Yes

Quote:
3. I know nothing about relays, what is the best (not noisy) type to use?
Usually smaller = quieter.
For this application there is minimal load on the contacts so you can use a small relay.
If it's still too noisy you can always wrap it up in foam/rubber.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode