Brake Controller Basics + Prodigy Solution - Page 3 - Club Touareg Forums

post #21 of 135 Old 01-22-2011

Touareg: 2007 V8
Second Vehicle: Still looking
This may be a stupid question - but are the voltage numbers in the main display of a P3 supposed to change from zero when depressing the brakes? When I use the manual lever they display the proper voltage for my settings and the trailer brakes definitely activate. However, I am not 100% certain they are activating during braking. The readout never changes when I depress the brakes.

I just drove from California pulling a 23 foot airstream, and all went well even on steep grades. But I was concerned that I might just be using the Touareg's beefy brakes. Hoping things are working correctly....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 135 Old 01-25-2011 Thread Starter

Touareg: 2006 V10 TDI
Second Vehicle: too many to list
Yes, the numbers on the main display should change from zero when you are applying the brakes and the unit detects deceleration. So, if you are stopped, you will not see the voltage change unless you have "boost" selected.

If you have boost selected at any level other than 0 and you press the brake pedal when stopped, the voltage should change. If it does not, something is wrong.

SteveK-O

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'12 Polaris 800 Rush Pro-R LE

'12 Polaris RZR S
'06 VW Touareg V10 TDI+Air Suspension

'01 VW Passat V6 30V 4Motion
'98 Audi A4 V6 30V Quattro+Manual+Sport
post #23 of 135 Old 02-13-2011

Touareg: 2005 V8
Tekonsha,P2 successfully installed

Hallo Forum.
Thanks Everybody .... this forum is just amazingly great.

We installed P2 with wkaml #12 post and after getting
all the cables suggested also from your post......
Everything works great, yeh. Only thing we get is
only 1 red dot instead 2 when trailer is NOT connected.
I take this as a 'natural' violoation/variation?
Voala, one-step-closer hauling my black Arabian Beauty
to Endurance Rides..... Its a horse not my husband LOL

post #24 of 135 Old 02-14-2011

Touareg: 2011 V6 TDI
Anyone know if all this stuff is applicable to my 2011 Touareg TDI? I plan on towing a Trailex 80180 with electric brakes and LED tail lights. Read through some of these forum threads and although I'm moderately confused, I do have a shopping list on hand, so feel free to add to it or offer feedback if you think I have it all wrong

1) Tekonsha Brake Controller for Volkswagen Touareg 2010 - 90195

2) Pollak Replacement 7-Pole, RV-Style Trailer Connector Socket - Vehicle End Pollak Custom Fit Vehicle Wiring PK11893

3) 7-Way to 7-Way Trailer Adapter for VW, Audi and Porsche Towing Trailers with LED Lights Valley Custom Fit Vehicle Wiring V39010

I can't imagine why VW would change the wiring scheme for the trailer package, right?

11 Touareg TDI Exec black/saddle
11 GTI 2dr 6mt
11 GT3
post #25 of 135 Old 02-14-2011
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2014 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: VW 2
Garage
I am not sure what has changed from the the T1 to T3 for factory settings, but mine had a default for European wiring, which was easily changed with the VAG Com.

The LED's should be fine, if your trailer is newer, I have them on my trailer and have never had a problem.

Post some pictures of your GT3, glad to see another Porsche track guy here, there are a few of us.

2014 TDI Execline R Line Black
2011 GTI Tornado Red 4Dr DSG
post #26 of 135 Old 02-14-2011

Second Vehicle: Other
Another guy towing a Porsche here....

The Prodigy RF looks like a good solution and you should look into that. No messing around under the dash or wiring required. Think that's the way I am going to go once the T'reg arrives. Yours looks great as an aside.

2011 Exec Touareg TDI 3.0 - silver/cornsilk
2011 Porsche GT3RS - grey black/black
post #27 of 135 Old 02-14-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthVan997C2S View Post
Post some pictures of your GT3, glad to see another Porsche track guy here, there are a few of us.
Here's one with GMG wheels that I just mounted (using the stock centerlocks as my track set):

11 GTI 2dr 6mt
11 GT3
post #28 of 135 Old 02-14-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownan View Post
Another guy towing a Porsche here....

The Prodigy RF looks like a good solution and you should look into that. No messing around under the dash or wiring required. Think that's the way I am going to go once the T'reg arrives. Yours looks great as an aside.
Cool, maybe I'll run in to you at some PCA event... June 20-23 at Watkins Glen is on my tentative track schedule this year. I'm also going to try to fit in VIR and Lime Rock but not sure with what group yet, maybe Chin.

Prodigy RF does look like a simpler solution. Maybe I'll wait for you to get your car so you can be the guinea pig while I await your feedback

11 GTI 2dr 6mt
11 GT3
post #29 of 135 Old 04-07-2011

Touareg: 2011 V8 TDI
Prodigy RF - does anyone have any feedback after the installation?

How well does it work with electric brakes and LED's.? Any specific install instructions would be appreciated. I am another guy who is getting a new Trailex to tow my Porsche. Seems dealers do not have any info what the new Touareg's require on how to hook up aux brake controllers. Many thanks.
post #30 of 135 Old 04-11-2011

Touareg: 2010 V6 TDI
Brake controller and cargo pad

Hello All,

Any recommendations on a brake controller for a 2010 TDI?

Also, in the manual they show a cargo area cover that can cover the entire back while the seats are folded down (it secures by looping over the rear passengers head rest post). Has anyone seen one of these for sale? I have searched hi and low with no joy.

Any thoughts? Thanks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode