Brake Controller Basics + Prodigy Solution - Page 2 - Club Touareg Forums

post #11 of 135 Old 01-12-2011 Thread Starter

Touareg: 2006 V10 TDI
Second Vehicle: too many to list
Quote:
Originally Posted by benhchang View Post
The diagram posted by SteveK-0 and the thread is really helpful. On the diagram itself, for P3 installation do you wire the P3 to the brake lamp signal or to the brake pedal switch.

Thanks

Ben
Take a look at this thread where I posted the Touareg schematics:
Trailer Circuit Diagram

The short answer is that if you wire to the brake pedal switch, you would avoid having to add the relay, but you would not get any benefit from automatic anti-sway control if it is there. This would be true to if you wired to the lamp signal. What you are supposed to wire to is neither one, it is an output from a the Towing Control Module.

I tried wiring from the Towing Control Module, per the schematic and experienced the reported problem with noise on that line making the P3 think it was seeing braking. I did not put a scope on it, but it was not CAN, it was likely pulses scanning for load as it does with the brake lights. I had to put in a relay per the technical bulletin above.

Hope that helps.

SteveK-O

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'12 Polaris 800 Rush Pro-R LE

'12 Polaris RZR S
'06 VW Touareg V10 TDI+Air Suspension

'01 VW Passat V6 30V 4Motion
'98 Audi A4 V6 30V Quattro+Manual+Sport
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 135 Old 01-12-2011

Touareg: 2004 V8
Second Vehicle: is not a VW
I kinda sorta understand the schematics

1st of all, I have 2004 V8 Touareg with Air Suspension. What I want to accomplish is to be able to tow a trailer with 911 to the track. I already installed the OEM hitch and OEM Towing Control Module and VAG it. Now I am in the process of installing the P3. With the P3, I will only connect it when I am towing and I will remove it when I am not towing.

From what you are saying, SteveK-O is that I do not need a relay if I am gonna connect it to the brake pedal switch. This sounds simple enough. But what is this "Anti-Sway Control"? Is this an option on the Touareg or the Trailer? If it is on a Touareg, how do I know if I have this option?

Based on the many helpful threads, yours and JFScheck what I was gonna do is connect P3 to the Brake Pedal Switch with the relay switch. The purpose of the relay is so that it will not drain the battery. Pls advice whether I need the relay or not. Also connect the 30amp inline fuse to the main power.
post #13 of 135 Old 01-13-2011
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2010 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: Still looking
Search for my detailed instructions on both vehicles - for those with a 2004 up to 2007 - you tap into the brake switch , find my instructions and you will see exact pics of the switch, wire etc.

Same for those asking about the relay (2007 onwards) which is for latter vehicles where the brake switch has been moved to the other side of the firewall...

Benhchang - no relay needed for your 2004.

John "JFScheck" Scheck
TV = '11 F-350 King Ranch 6.7L 4x4 SB SRW - Forrest Green & Chaparral Leather
TT = '11 30 Classic Limited - Praline Leather & Hickory Wood
Hitch = ProPride "Pivot Point Projection" (3P) Hitch

"Enjoy life. There's plenty of time to be dead."
**I Love U.S.A.**

post #14 of 135 Old 01-13-2011

Second Vehicle: Still looking
What is the purpose of the yellow wires (part #00097922? Why can't you just connect the Tekonsha wiring into the VW plug housing (part #1J0-972-782) directly, then plug into the vehicle brake control connector (and red/black wire on the brake switch)?
post #15 of 135 Old 01-13-2011 Thread Starter

Quote:
I kinda sorta understand the schematics
Quote:

1st of all, I have 2004 V8 Touareg with Air Suspension. What I want to accomplish is to be able to tow a trailer with 911 to the track.
I am glad to help a p-car brother get to the track. I am currently driving my 987 to the track, but I switched to Hooiser R6 track tires last year so that will be hard to do from now on. One of the reasons I researched this is to prepare for an enclosed car-hauler.

Anyway, here is a video on the concept of trailer sway control. Watch for the little skid marks indicating braking.

The guy on the right does not do anything when swaying starts and it does not go well for him. The guy in the middle slows and applies the brakes to stop the sway. Both the truck brakes and trailer brakes are applied at the same time. The guy on the left has the Ford trailer sway control. The controller applies the brakes on the trailer automatically when trailer sway is detected. I think it is better for the trailer to be braking when the truck is not braking to stop the trailer sway.

To do the trailer sway control, the stability control system would need to know at trailer is attached. The trailer control module detects the trailer and sends out a CAN message. If the stability control system detects sway and the trailer control module has announced a trailer is there, it would send a CAN message to the trailer control module to apply the trailer brakes. So, for this to work, the trailer control module needs to be able to independently apply the trailer brakes when it decides to.

I am not 100% this is how the Touareg system works. I have seen somewhere it has trailer sway control, but I have not been able to find out more about it. Looking at the Touareg schematic, it fits with what I have written above. If it does need the ability to independently control the trailer brakes, there is no reason to have made the system as complex as it is, even for Germans. I am not going to run the experiment to see if it is there, too exciting.

So, if you want to take advantage of what the trailer control module was designed to do, you need to use the output of the module to signal the brake controller, not the brake switch. The brake switch will work for normal driving, but the trailer control module would have no way to independently apply the trailer brakes.

If you installed the towing control module, did it come with a wiring harness? How is the wiring done from the controller to the 7-pin connector? If you have a harness, do you have the 4-pin connector that is designed to connect to the brake controller? Take a look at the wiring diagram again. The 7-pin connector to the trailer is supposed to get 5 of its wires from the towing control module, the 6th is a ground, and the 7th one comes from the brake controller. The brake controller gets power, ground, the input from the towing control module and has its output to the 7-pin connector. If this is not clear pm me and we can talk it over.

SteveK-O

'12 Polaris RZR S

post #16 of 135 Old 01-13-2011 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by adwriter73 View Post
What is the purpose of the yellow wires (part #00097922? Why can't you just connect the Tekonsha wiring into the VW plug housing (part #1J0-972-782) directly, then plug into the vehicle brake control connector (and red/black wire on the brake switch)?
The yellow wires are pre-terminated with the spades that fit into the VW plug housing. The VW plug housing is just a piece of cool plastic with no terminals. The wires have a terminal crimped on each each, that is why you only need 2 wires to make the 4 terminals, you cut them in half.

SteveK-O

'12 Polaris RZR S

post #17 of 135 Old 01-14-2011

Hey SteveK-O,

Now I am learning about anti-sway control. Very kool stuff. Thanks for the youtube. I definitely want to enable the trailer to brake automatically.

Yes it did come with the wiring harness.
Please take a look at the pics.

If I want to enable the anti-sway control, your recommendation is to wire it exactly to TB0021.

Thanks a bunch
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1120 Control Module 03.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	378.9 KB
ID:	11331   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1121 Control Module04.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	252.7 KB
ID:	11332  

Name:	IMG_1117 Control Module01.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	383.3 KB
ID:	11333   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1116 Control Module 02.jpg
Views:	587
Size:	338.5 KB
ID:	11334  

Name:	IMG_1140.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	294.0 KB
ID:	11335   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1141.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	413.0 KB
ID:	11336  

post #18 of 135 Old 01-14-2011 Thread Starter

Your lower left picture looks like the correct 4-pin connector for the brake controller. Yes, I recommend wiring per the service bulletin and connecting to it.

So simplify the wiring, the "Hot at all times" input shown to the relay can come off the Black (Pin 2) line because it is hot at all times and is already fed through a properly sized fuse.

Also, the "Ground" connection to the relay can come off the White (Pin 1) line because it is ground.

This how I wired mine up and it is working great. Although I have not tested the sway control and hope it never has to engage.

SteveK-O

'12 Polaris RZR S

post #19 of 135 Old 01-14-2011

Got it!!!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Wiring.JPG
Views:	433
Size:	39.0 KB
ID:	11339  
post #20 of 135 Old 01-15-2011 Thread Starter

Quote:
Got it!!!
Looks good.

SteveK-O

'12 Polaris RZR S

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode