Boot liner 2014 Treg - Club Touareg Forums

post #1 of 8 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter

Touareg: 2014 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: Other
Boot liner 2014 Treg

Hi folks, I've just got back from my first caravan towing outing with my 2014 V6 TDi Treg, it performed really well from Mandurah to Augusta (West Aus) and met my expectations of no hassles at all in high temps (~39C) encountered towing my 3T van with 5 on board. I took my offloading gear but we didn't get to going off road at all. We got around 15.8 L/100km which is a big improvement on my previous 22 L/100km from my Supercharged petrol Range Rover before this one. The diesel with its huge low down torque meant a more relaxed affair too.

During these outings however there is the usual kids throwing sandy stuff into the back and I am keen to get myself a boot liner to protect the carpeted area. There are many non genuine offerings from cheap and upwards from there. I've not priced a genuine item yet but probably $$. Does anyone have any recommendations or experience with these things?

Thanks in advance for any comments

Regards

Pete.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7935.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	167586   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7932.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	280.6 KB
ID:	167594  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 1 Week Ago

Second Vehicle: VW 2
Hi Pete,

I couldn't find anything suitable over this side of the world for either my 2011 Passat wagon OR the 2014 Treg. So I ended up buying a fitted boot liner for each from Titan Covers in the UK.

Volkswagen Boot Liners - Titan Covers

If you contact them they will do a VAT exempt cost including freight to Australia. They can be a little slow with the email and so I ended up calling them one evening to chase up. After that, it was all systems go! I think mine were about 200 pounds for both liners including express freight to Perth. They have split rear seats to match the division of the rear seat in the car and a bumper flap which folds out over the back of the bumper when the tailgate is up. There one minor inconvenience in the Treg and that is the interior lights on the left and right side of the boot and the raise/lower air suspension switch and 12V outlet on the right side are not tailored in the boot liner. Not sure if this a subtle difference in Euro models or not. If I was really anal I'd get the sewing machine out and make a cut to expose the lights and switches/outlet and stitch them up/overlock them again. But I'm not. I just pull down the RHS flap to expose the panel if I want to use the 12V socket (for the Engel) or use the suspension settings to lower the back (hooking up the van for example). With a shepherd we needed the extra protection for the cars and these liners definitely provide that. I'm very pleased with the Passat AND the Touareg boot liners.

We tow our van (not quite a large as yours - ours is a 21" Coromal full-size caravan @ about 2.5T) and get between 13.5 and 16 l/100km as well depending on driving speed, wind conditions etc. My worst has been 16.8 in the Treg, (big headwind) which if I had been towing in my 4.8l Petrol Ti Patrol, would have been about 30-35 litres/100km. My worst in the Patrol was near Geraldton in the face of the usual massive crosswinds/headwinds, and that delivered a consumption of 35 l/100km!! Around town without a van it was about 15-18. It was a truck - a nice truck, but still a truck...

Ours Touaregs are amazing machines. Daily driver, tugging a load behind them, or out in the bush. A truly under-appreciated vehicle (at least on this side of the world).

If you want some images of the boot liner fitted, PM me and I'll see if I can take some tomorrow.

Cheers

Andrew

2014 V6 TDi 4xMotion. Down under, in Perth, Western Australia.
The Following User Says Thank You to snodrogs For This Useful Post:
Crispy3 (1 Week Ago)
post #3 of 8 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter

Second Vehicle: Other
Thanks for that Andrew, I took a look at the liner in your link and I probably meant more like just a floor liner with short upturned sides. I see what you mean with yours it is a full all surfaces covered liner.

I will continue searching and look at the VW site too to see their offering.

Thanks again.

Regards

Pete.
post #4 of 8 Old 1 Week Ago

Second Vehicle: Still looking
The "official" VW liner is from their CarGo line (terrible name as it's impossible to google). Second link has better pics.

https://parts.vw.com/p/Volkswagen_20...61166A469.html
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...7p0061166a469/

My used 2014 Treg TDI came with it. It's a mat which sits on top of the regular carpet. The underside seems to be some sort of waterproof rubber material (fairly tough - it's stiff but you can fold it without breaking it). The top is lined with a carpet-like material for the velcro of their CarGo blocks to latch onto. There's a small raised ridge around the perimeter a few cm in from the outside, which will help keep spills from leaking over the edge. And there are cutouts for the cargo strap rings.

The downside is that the rubberized backing isn't enough to keep it from sliding around. Every time my dog rides in back, when I open the rear hatch the mat has slid back about the length of the cargo strap ring (the cutout is no longer above the ring). I suppose a few strips of adhesive velcro could keep it from sliding. I haven't bothered trying because it doesn't bug me that much.

For the price listed ($100-$130), I would say it's not worth it. Well, maybe with the CarGo blocks it might be - the blocks are very highly rated on Amazon, and the mat's upper lining is needed for the velcro blocks to stick. The previous owner forgot to include the blocks with the car so I don't know how useful they are.

https://www.amazon.com/Volkswagen-Ca.../dp/B00859HI12

If you can find it used or on sale for significantly less than $130, it's probably worth it. Since it's an official VW part, if your country has VW giving TDI owners compensation for the whole diesel emissions thing, this is something you can spend that on. But for $130 out of pocket, you can get a real heavy-duty rubberized cargo liner.

2014 Volkswagen Touareg | Cargo Mat and Trunk Liner for Cars SUVs and Minivans | WeatherTech.com
post #5 of 8 Old 1 Week Ago

Touareg: 2016 V6 TDI
Hey Pete
I've had 3 Touaregs and in the first two I had the genuine VW rubber mat in the back and they were very good. The only short coming was there was no lip around the edges, so sand and dirt could eventually migrate to the edges and into the carpet, if you didn't keep an eye on it.

So on my current Treg I purchase a Wheather Tech from Booter in Brisbane. They are made in USA. Booter Auto Accessories It's a plastic type construction with a lip all round and seems to do the job. From memory it was about $120.

I'll try and attach some pics

Cheers Andrew
post #6 of 8 Old 1 Week Ago
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2013 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: is not a VW
I've had a VW-brand liner in my Touareg since new. However, mine is not the heavy-duty rubber liner (like the F&R floor mats), but rather is a thinner, flexible, durable plastic liner that has raised edges and the word TOUAREG embossed in the left front corner. It has been great at protecting the beige carpeting from dirt and the raised edge (about 1") keeps any spills from getting on the carpet. I'm pretty sure we paid much less than $100 for it.

Mike
post #7 of 8 Old 6 Days Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solandri View Post
The "official" VW liner is from their CarGo line (terrible name as it's impossible to google). Second link has better pics.

https://parts.vw.com/p/Volkswagen_20...61166A469.html
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...7p0061166a469/

My used 2014 Treg TDI came with it. It's a mat which sits on top of the regular carpet. The underside seems to be some sort of waterproof rubber material (fairly tough - it's stiff but you can fold it without breaking it). The top is lined with a carpet-like material for the velcro of their CarGo blocks to latch onto. There's a small raised ridge around the perimeter a few cm in from the outside, which will help keep spills from leaking over the edge. And there are cutouts for the cargo strap rings.

The downside is that the rubberized backing isn't enough to keep it from sliding around. Every time my dog rides in back, when I open the rear hatch the mat has slid back about the length of the cargo strap ring (the cutout is no longer above the ring). I suppose a few strips of adhesive velcro could keep it from sliding. I haven't bothered trying because it doesn't bug me that much.

For the price listed ($100-$130), I would say it's not worth it. Well, maybe with the CarGo blocks it might be - the blocks are very highly rated on Amazon, and the mat's upper lining is needed for the velcro blocks to stick. The previous owner forgot to include the blocks with the car so I don't know how useful they are.

https://www.amazon.com/Volkswagen-Ca.../dp/B00859HI12

If you can find it used or on sale for significantly less than $130, it's probably worth it. Since it's an official VW part, if your country has VW giving TDI owners compensation for the whole diesel emissions thing, this is something you can spend that on. But for $130 out of pocket, you can get a real heavy-duty rubberized cargo liner.
I have the VW CarGo mat, and I love it. I have also had the Weathertech plastic/rubber cargo mats, but I prefer the heavy duty carpet of the CarGo mat. It has a rubber backing so no issues with spills and wetness, but the carpet doesn't show dirt nearly as much and holds things in place much better. Here's a photo of my mat:

post #8 of 8 Old 6 Days Ago
Supporting Member

Second Vehicle: a bicycle
Garage
For our dogs mostly... I use a rubber backed floor mat from the hardware store. A 6ft one covers front to back and sided to side with the seats down, and though I haven't tried a smaller one probably could be used for when the seats are up. Much less expensive and does a much better job in my opinion...

I am on my 5th Touareg!!! 2004 v8 -> Reliable Toyota
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-> 2010 TDI Sport -> 2012 TDI Sport -> 2014 TDI R-Line -> S4 -> 2017 Wolfsburg
-----------------------------

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode