Club Touareg Forum banner

Best Race Trailer for ~5k

12K views 71 replies 14 participants last post by  HookedonV10s 
#1 ·
I will be moving to NC soon to the Raleigh area and am in the market for an enclosed trailer. Given the tregs capabilities, I need to know the following from those of you experienced.

1) best trailer dimensions for the treg: my guess 20~22 feet and 8~8.5 feet in width.
2) What to look for as indicators of quality?
3) Best type of trailer: V nose for efficiency and more room
4) Finished inside needed?
5) Best setup to carry additional wheels/tires inside trailer.
6) Race ramps needed? Car(Evo X) lowered significantly on AST shocks.
7) I see advertised prices online, how much room for haggling is usually there?
8 ) Warranty and brake setup needed?
9) Presume brake controller needed. which one?

I know its a lot of questions, but any help appreciated.

#9 ·
22 feet includes the tongue, and it isn't really that long. I choose an aluminum trailer, as it is a lot lighter the the wood/steel combos. You can find Aluma, Trailex, Featherlite, and all are good trailers. You want a trailer that is longer then your vehicle so that you can balance the load properly. You will also want to carry some tools and other stuff so adding a box will be something that you want to look at. You may want to look for a second hand ones, the aluminum's aren't going to rust, and a lot of people use them as there starter trailers, and then move up to enclosed trailers.

#5 ·
This is not a simple set of questions to answer. I can provide you everything you need in answers, having towed/owned multiple race trailer and tow vehicle combinations.

The one item I am confused about is your title, "~5k." What do you mean with this? Total weight? Total cost??

#8 ·
IN MY HUMBLE OPINION, you will not find a trailer that is within the weight limits of the Touareg AND is enclosed for $5k.

I tow a 20ft 100% aluminium enclosed trailer. It is a trailex. It is as light and efficient of an enclosed unit as you can find. I would not tow anything heavier than it and I don't care what anyone else says about how they have and continue to.

My trailer full loaded with car, spares, tools, etc weighs in at about 5300lbs. It does not have a WDH, which would help but is not allowed on the 2011+ T3's. Using the criteria I just described, this is the limit of safety in my opinion, as a result of total trailer length, height, and weight.

You best bet is to find an open aluminum trailer with a tire rack and tongue tool box for around $4k, maybe even as much as $5k.

Best of luck.

#15 ·
ORP is my favorite, but, I usually end up at Pacific Raceways because it is close. Really looking forward to go to the Ridge in Shelton. What track do you have? Do you ever make it down here?

#14 ·
I got my used dual axle aluminum 18 for $4k. New tires, electric brakes, tool box, winch, LED lights. Went with an RF controller. Would love one of those Trailex closed aluminums but not in the cards right now.

#18 ·
Guess it depends on your needs and the type of track event...we have a steel 24 enclosed as well, and since I can, I tend to load it up and get close to max capacity. With the open aluminum 18, I keep it to what I need for the day.

If we get into weekend PCA events we'll have to go enclosed aluminum.

#20 ·
I hear 'ya! Nothing like at speed seat time!

We have a great PCA club back here where on an advanced day we can be on track for 4 to 5 hours. Last year at Pocono I wnt through 50 gallons of 110 and one set of new slicks :wink:

#22 ·
Things to watch out for is the axles, these ones are rated at roughly 5000lbs. That doesn't mean you can add 5000lbs to the trailer, it means they car carry a load that is equal to 5000lbs. The trailer is going to weigh 2000+ so that means you have 3000lbs or less of gear and you are at the Max. I use the rule of thumb of 75% of the maximum. My Aluma and my tow hitch can take 7500lbs, and my load is never more then 5000lbs (1200lb trailer, 3100lb car, gear). Cheap usually isn't the best way to go, I would strongly suggest you look at second hand, and buy a better trailer that has some miles and call it a day.

#24 ·
Bingo. Also, the trailer will weigh far more than 2000lbs. My 20ft Trailer enclosed weighs 2100 empty. No steel trailer will weigh less than 3300 lbs. Then you add a 3000+lb evo and wheels, tires, tools, etc and you are quickly approaching 7000 lbs, which is too much.

The other item to note, NEVER TRUST A SELLER OR MANUFACTURER when it comes to trailer weight. They are never correct. You must go weigh it at a set of scales yourself to find out the correct weight. My old Pace 24ft enclosed stated it weighed 3450 on the title from the manufacturer. The correct weight was almost 4000lbs.

Please, learn from others and save yourself a bunch of cash in the long run. If you want an enclosed trailer that costs less than $10,000 and is actually worth owning, you will need to find used units from reputable manufacturers (Pace, Aluma, Motiv, Featherlite, etc). Lots of people manufacturer trailers, but the reality is they are not equals when it comes to quality of craftsmanship nor matierals. Also, if you want a trailer of that size and capacity, you will need a bigger tow vehicle. The capability of a tow vehicle is only truly tested and learned under adverse conditions (deer running into the road, emergency stop on a highway, avoidance lane change). I have been doing this for years with tow rigs ranging from F-450's to T3's, and just about any combination inbetween.

Skimp now and you are likely to pay for it later. Be smart now (open aluminum with tire rack) and you will be happy later and you will own a trailer that will hold its value because it is aluminum.

Jon

#25 ·
Agreed Jon, I had no idea that a simple 20' enclosed got that high. My Aluma weights 1200lbs (without the big box that I had custom made).

Catalystgod, google the phrase "75% rule for towing" you will see that it is highly recommended that you don't exceed more then 75% of your Tow Vehicles maximum weight. I have been towing for 4 years now, and I have had a number of offers to buy my trailer for more then I paid, however towing a lighter load with the Touareg makes it easy to drive, and when you get a cross wind the trailer and load doesn't effect the Touareg.

#26 ·
I wish the Aluminum ones weren't so expensive. A closed trailer though is a requirement simply because of all the stuff I will need to carry and be able to leave the trailer at the track overnight without having to worry about theft or anything like that.

Thank you for your responses. I did not know a lot of that stuff, which is why I created this thread.

The search continues!

#29 ·
I wish the Aluminum ones weren't so expensive. A closed trailer though is a requirement simply because of all the stuff I will need to carry and be able to leave the trailer at the track overnight without having to worry about theft or anything like that.

Thank you for your responses. I did not know a lot of that stuff, which is why I created this thread.

The search continues!

I'll put $100 down that says you will need to carry no more than any of the rest of us who have done this for years (both with an open and enclosed trailer).

Does your track car still have locks on the doors? Perfect for overnight storage.

Does it still have windows? Perfect for storage or equipment while trailering to and from events.

Does your trailer have a tirerack? If yes, then I bet the rack has a padlocking system.

Does your trailer have a tongue box? If yes, then I bet you have plenty of lockable storage for more perminent items you only need when going to the track.

Here are some unique options which might work for you:

22ft open race car trailer For Sale

this one is exactly what I think would work for you:

18' Aluminum Trailer Co Concours Open Car Hauler 18' Aluminum Trailer Co Concours Open Car Hauler | eBay

Another prime option:
FEATHERLITE ALUMINUM OPEN CAR HAULER 20 FT WITH TIRE RACK FEATHERLITE ALUMINUM OPEN CAR HAULER 20 FT WITH TIRE RACK | eBay

Feel free to send me a finders fee. I accept payment in bourbon as well.

#28 ·
I tow an VIII and on occasion my dad's X with Robispec KW V3's set at a reasonable ride height as he drives it on the street as well. The only issue I encounter with loading/unloading his car is the lip the XMR comes with (rubber perhaps?).
I have 8' ramps and it doesn't clear (no dove tail) but with my 6' race ramps, it clears like butter as does my very low VIII with a full carbon fiber front end.

I set a record a few weeks at Lime Rock and someone made a video which shows my Evo, Touareg and trailer so you can get some ideas from that here...

I'm NASA NE's Asst. CI so if you attend our events, chances are I'm there, or with NARRA, EMRA and the list goes on...

#30 ·
Jon, that would be an easy 100 for you. Those options you posted seem very tempting. I will look into them.

I tow an VIII and on occasion my dad's X with Robispec KW V3's set at a reasonable ride height as he drives it on the street as well. The only issue I encounter with loading/unloading his car is the lip the XMR comes with (rubber perhaps?).
I have 8' ramps and it doesn't clear (no dove tail) but with my 6' race ramps, it clears like butter as does my very low VIII with a full carbon fiber front end.

I set a record a few weeks at Lime Rock and someone made a video which shows my Evo, Touareg and trailer so you can get some ideas from that here...

I'm NASA NE's Asst. CI so if you attend our events, chances are I'm there, or with NARRA, EMRA and the list goes on...
I had to watch it twice to get a glimpse of your setup, I did not mind the gangsta background score either ;). BTW, what rims on the Treg........Ricer! J/K

#31 ·
Tasty trailers. I liked that first one with the front lockers. TIDY!

#32 ·
I can't dissagree with the $100 bet either. Having said that, I got rid of my open trailer with tire racks and tool box and purchased an enclosed 18' with built in cabinets in the front. It provides shade, keeps me dry in the rain, and frees up a lot of garage space. In all, one of the best purchases I've ever made. It does tow a little harder than the open trailer (more weight and lots more wind resistance). Still, way more convenient that the open trailer.

#34 ·
18' is small and would not have hauled the Z06 I had before but hauls my Diasio very well...no problems with space at all. I believe the original post drives an EVO. That should be small enough to fit as well but he would, definitely need to do some serious measuring first.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.