Best off-road/highway miracle tire? - Club Touareg Forums

post #1 of 31 Old 03-06-2014 Thread Starter

Touareg: 2005 V8
Second Vehicle: Other
Best off-road/highway miracle tire?

I just moved to the Salt Lake City area, and am looking for a tire that will perform reasonably well off-road, but won't be too objectionable on the long highways to Moab or up to the mountains. I don't expect great performance on ice. I have a '05 Touareg V8 with the factory 255/55R18 rims.

Tire Rack carries the General Grabber AT 2, but I'm ruling that out as not versatile enough based on reviews. (a little too much off road bias).

Tire Rack also carries the Pirelli Scorpion ATR. Based on reviews, this sounds like the perfect tire, but doesn't appear to be available to fit the Reg's rims. Anyone know more? Are changing rims an option (no, I don't know much about wheels!)

I've read a lot here about the Nitto Terra Grappler, but wonder if it would be too much like the General tire above - not really a good tire for running around the city.

For reference, I'm retiring a set of Continental Contact Extreme DWS's. I don't expect the same highway performance, but hopefully there's something out there that will go offroad that won't feel like a tractor at high speed?

Many thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 03-06-2014
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2009 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: Still looking
Nokian Tires: Some of the best snow / all-weather / AT tires in the world. Only dedicated snow tires I use. Will turn your 4X4 into a snow cat.

SUV / 4x4 - Summer tires
post #3 of 31 Old 03-07-2014
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2011 V6 FSI
Second Vehicle: VW 2
Tod980007, I agree with Drifter... Nokian are the best tyres for winter. I am hoping to fit Nokian Z summer tyres but it seems that Nokian Canada doesn't get them in from Finland. Anybody, anywhere, run the Nokian summer tyres?

post #4 of 31 Old 03-07-2014
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2010 V6 TDI
I was just gonna post a review this weekend for Cooper Discoverer H/T Plus 255/55R18 I put on 10k miles ago. Was skeptical before I ordered thinking they were gonna be too rough/hard a ride, but I am wrong. They provide a nice ride, are not loud at 70+mph, do not get stones stuck in the tread for long, or when they do the stones are easily released when you start going and they are great in snow and ice. They are Mud & Snow rated. And I find them an exceptional value for $470 for 4 tires after mail in rebate. I just got an email for another $100 rebate on my next set of Cooper tires. I'll post some pics on how they look.
post #5 of 31 Old 03-07-2014
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2010 V6 TDI
I have run three tires on my 2006 V10 (255/55-1 you may have an interest in. I drive mostly on road, but need a tire that will perform on Colorado’s four wheel drive roads.

1. Nittto Tierra Grappler – Like your thoughts above, it was too much of an off-road tire for me. It was noisy on the highway, felt mushy, and did not provide good handling on the highway; however, many have used them on their Touareg, and really like them. They could never get mine balanced right, and replaced them with Pirelli Scorpion ATRs.

2. Pirelli Scorpion ATR – Not sure if they make it in a 255/55-18 anymore though. I liked this tire. It was quiet on the highway, cornered well, and was good off-road. My only issue, which was very minor, was it looks much more narrow than other 255/55-18 tires. I got about 35k miles out of the set, which isn’t great, but the Touareg is a heavy vehicle, and I probably push it too hard in the corners. When it came time for a new set I opted for the Bridgestone Dueler AT Revo 2.

3. Bridgestone Dueler AT Revo 2 – Again I like this tire. Like the Pirelli it is quiet on the highway, handles well, and is good off-road. It also looks much wider than the Pirelli. But again I will probably only get 35k miles on the set. I wish I could find a tire that lasted longer, but I am not sure there is one out there.

None of the three tires is good in the snow and ice compared to dedicated snow tires. In the winter I run Nokians on the Touareg, and Blizzaks on my Audi S5.

Of the three tires, if I had to get another set, I would buy the Bridgestone, but I will probably sell my Touareg before then. The Coopers as mentioned in the previous post sound intriguing, especially at $ 470 which is about half the price of the Pirellis and Bridgestones.

Hope this helps.

Current Touareg - 2010 V6TDI w/Air, Premium Tech Package, Luxury Package, Hitch, White Gold over Anthracite, Neuspeed Rear Swaybar, Euro Storage Bin.

Previous Touaregs:

2004 V8, Offroad Gray w/Anthracite Interior and Air.

2006 V10 TDI, Black w/Teak Interior. - Loved that Car!

Other Rides in The Stable:

2013 Audi S5 Prestige S-Tronic. Stasis tuned, Eurocode Swaybars/Endlinks and Alu Kreuz Frame Stabilizer.

2014 Polaris RZR XP1000. Loaded with Lights, Mods, and a Snowplow!
post #6 of 31 Old 03-07-2014 Thread Starter

Touareg: 2005 V8
Thanks for the suggestions, particularly tires I haven't heard of.

I'm not that concerned about snow performance. I'll probably go to a Blizzack DM-V1 or something like that - but I'll look into Nokian's as well. If I could get a true all season, all road tire that works on the highway, I'll be a very happy camper.

Any other ideas?

Super helpful. Thanks
post #7 of 31 Old 03-07-2014
Touareg Addict

Touareg: 2004 R5 TDI
Second Vehicle: is jealous
Yes, tires I bought a week ago.. Toyo Open Country H/T! Great tire, quiet, nice tread, sticks on the road even on very wet conditions, and not expensive.. Check them.. I believe you heard of Toyo tires.. Here is my thread about them, with some pics :New tires!

2006-VW Touareg 2.5 TDI,174hp.Manual Gearbox. Full,except the air suspension.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1996-VW Golf 3 1.9 TDI estate
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2004-BMW 525d-fully loaded

1998-Land Rover Freelander 2.0 Diesel
post #8 of 31 Old 03-07-2014
Supreme Member

Touareg: 2004 V6
Second Vehicle: a bicycle
I have General Grabber UHPs and love them. Great for dry and wet conditions. Relatively inexpensive, too. Noobytoogy says that VW did some off road testing of the Touareg on UHPs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noobytoogy View Post
Look at the General Grabber UHP as used by many on the UK site at www.mytreg.com

Good tyres, quieter and more comfortable ride, reasonable price and as used by the now disbanded VW Touareg demonstration team for both on and off road work.
from New Tyres

2004 VR6 w/ Air - Retired (Oct. 2007 - June 2015)

post #9 of 31 Old 03-07-2014
Touareg Guru

VW UK had the UHPs on the demonstration fleet when they used to match Range Rover with Touareg Experience days - high speed track in the morning, low speed off road in the afternoon and a nice lunch in between.

One Touareg had a winch and Grabber ATs but was rarely needed.

When things got tight, VW UK stopped doing their events whilst Land Rover did even more. No prizes for guessing who got it right as far as market share is concerned . . . !
post #10 of 31 Old 03-07-2014
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2009 V6 TDI
Quote:
Originally Posted by todd98007 View Post
Thanks for the suggestions, particularly tires I haven't heard of.

I'm not that concerned about snow performance. I'll probably go to a Blizzack DM-V1 or something like that - but I'll look into Nokian's as well. If I could get a true all season, all road tire that works on the highway, I'll be a very happy camper.

Any other ideas?

Super helpful. Thanks
Nokian Rotiiva AT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode