I will check that out.

Thanks

2014 White/Saddle Exec/R-Line TDI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 31 Old 01-16-2017
Touareg Guru

The Geolander ATS is off road oriented.

If you can get them, look at the Michelin Latitude Cross - an excellent all-rounder that wears well, grips well and is quiet too.

Excellent Wikipedia info on all models:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Buying or just bought a T1 or a T2? ESSENTIAL READING:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Useful tip! Search this forum using Google or Bing by typing in site:
color="black"> word word word
post #23 of 31 Old 01-16-2017
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2010 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: a bicycle
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwDavid View Post
I am looking for idea for a Touareg T3 tire. I will do 90% on pavement but don't want to be in danger when I venture onto some dirt trails or gravel roads. Most of the A/T tires I have looked at are probably too trail oriented.

I read reviews on the pirelli scoprion AT and most of teh Ford guys getting these stock on their trucks are saying they are terrible.

It seems there are no miracle road/trail tires without some really bad reviews. it seems maybe that the ultimate compromise tires does not exist?
For light greenlaning, you should be fine with any of the tires mentioned. Mix some water in with the dirt and all bets are off. Totally different experience. Mud, like snow, pretty much requires dedicated, purpose built tires.

You are right, there are no miracle tires. Find what covers 80 or 90% of your needs and either don't push it, or get a second set of wheels/tires.

I tried to do both on my first Range Rover, a '95 County LWB. I ran a set of BF Goodrich M&S tires that were thin and knobby. Great offroad in dirt, gravel, roots, mud, but borderline dangerous on the highway. Every time my wife took the Rangie I was afraid she was going to put it on its side on an exit ramp. They were that bad.

So...for now, I run Contis in the summer and Nokian R2s in the winter...and I stay off trails. Sure, I'll do some light greenlaning if the opportunity arises, but I would not go offroading alone or in mud.

'10 Touareg V6 TDI, black/creme, Luxe, Tech, Air, Dynaudio, Cayenne TT sway bars
'10 Audi A4 2.0T premium plus
'04 allroad, black/black, 2.7t tip, S6 Sport seats & Alcantara trim, HSport bars, BBK, Justin hitch, RNS-E MK2
'01 A4 1.8tqa, silver/black, S4 trim & seats, 996 brakes, HSports/Bilsteins/Eibachs, RNS-E
'07 Colnago C50 Campy Record 10

post #24 of 31 Old 01-16-2017
VW-a-holic

Touareg: Still looking
Second Vehicle: Other
Garage
Toyo Open Country A/T-II might be worth checking out.

https://www.toyotires.com/tire/patte...-terrain-tires
post #25 of 31 Old 01-16-2017
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2014 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: 2014 V6 TDI
The yokos I run are killer and the best all around tire I have ran. I commute 115 miles a day to and from work. Fantastic handling on the highway amazing in the rain and snow. I have run 5 sets without a single failure in a 37/12.5/17 on my dodge diesel all over baja. I have ran them on two toauregs. I have approx 34k miles on them and they are still running strong.

His and Her TDI's
post #26 of 31 Old 01-17-2017

Touareg: 2008 V6
Second Vehicle: is jealous
Garage
I've found a nice compromise in the Firestone Destination A/T. They look a bit on the aggressive side, but carry a noise on the freeway. Handles great on both dirt and asphalt.

post #27 of 31 Old 01-17-2017
Touareg Enthusiast

Thanks for the continued discussion guys.

Looks like Michelin Latitude Cross are not available in North America according to my sleuthing.

It appears almost all tires have a substantial base of terrible and glowing reviews so its hard to get an idea apart from first hand comments.

post #28 of 31 Old 01-17-2017
Touareg Enthusiast

I am wanting to avoid three sets of tires. I now have Nokian WRG3 on my 20 inch rims and I am considering making those my winter set and running them 4-6 months a year.

Adding an 18" set of rims with something like Michelin Latitude Cross would be ideal allowing me to be comfortable with a touch of offroading. My T3 has Rline and teh suspension is surprisingly stiff and I assume the front valence could be a little lower so yah, its a soccor mom mobile but I love it just the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lml999 View Post
For light greenlaning, you should be fine with any of the tires mentioned. Mix some water in with the dirt and all bets are off. Totally different experience. Mud, like snow, pretty much requires dedicated, purpose built tires.

You are right, there are no miracle tires. Find what covers 80 or 90% of your needs and either don't push it, or get a second set of wheels/tires.

I tried to do both on my first Range Rover, a '95 County LWB. I ran a set of BF Goodrich M&S tires that were thin and knobby. Great offroad in dirt, gravel, roots, mud, but borderline dangerous on the highway. Every time my wife took the Rangie I was afraid she was going to put it on its side on an exit ramp. They were that bad.

So...for now, I run Contis in the summer and Nokian R2s in the winter...and I stay off trails. Sure, I'll do some light greenlaning if the opportunity arises, but I would not go offroading alone or in mud.
Those Firestones look nice too.

post #29 of 31 Old 01-17-2017
Touareg Enthusiast

Any new reports of Cooper Discoverer HT Plus users? One review I read saying they just spin on wet grass. I guess they are not really considered for light offroading?? what does H/T mean?

post #30 of 31 Old 01-17-2017
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2008 V8
Second Vehicle: Other
Since we're discussing tires again.... :- )

I have the Wrangler Duratracs on mine. They are great off-road and very good in snow. Super grippy, IMHO.

They also have good manners on the highway, too. Not very loud and no annoying hum or drone because of the lugs.

They are M + S (mud and snow) rated, so they fill the requirement of a snow tire as well. I am just past 5K miles on my first rotation and they seem to be wearing well, too.

2008 V8
No VCDS? Get it here:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode