Auto Trans selection when towing heavy - Club Touareg Forums

post #1 of 11 Old 11-22-2016 Thread Starter

Touareg: 2014 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: Other
Auto Trans selection when towing heavy

I am a new owner to the Treg having got myself a 2014 180 V6 TDi with 4XMOTION. I'm really happy with it.

My previous towing of my caravan (~2700kg) with my previous to VW, Range Rover, my service guy recommended I keep the gear selector in the "S" mode which inhibits the 6th gear (top gear in that car) and lock up from engaging when towing heavy loads to keep rotational speed up and hence torque value down for any power value being transmitted.

Is there any particular forum recommendation for the Touareg when towing heavy trailers/caravans or just use "D" and let the car do the rest?

I am away from home at the moment and having only recently purchased the car, I've not had a chance to review the owners manual yet on this topic.

Thanks for any tips you all may have.

Regards

Pete.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6945.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	111.0 KB
ID:	163609  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 11-22-2016

Touareg: 2008 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: too many to list
Garage
Send a message via MSN to Steve_L Send a message via Skype™ to Steve_L
I run D mode when accelerating to my cruising speed with the van (Crusader 23'6") and at 95km/h happy to go to cruise control. In the wet...NO CRUISE CONTROL. And on downhill runs and coming to a planned stop, I slide the selector to M and allow the engine to assist the braking exercise.

In undulating roads, I knock the cruise control off and just use the right foot to keep her chugging along.

When going uphill, and I detect a line of cars behind me, I knock the cruise control off, otherwise, they will never get around me (the Touareg will happily pull the big van at any speed on any incline).

2007 Touareg MY08 V6 TDI - Atacama Grey (Beige Trim) Tow Pack, RNS510, 9WZ, Tint, V10 Exhaust Tips, Bilstein Sports Shocks, King Springs

2008 Golf MKV R32 (Deep Blue) 5dr, DSG, RNS, Sunroof, Carbon Fibre Rear Diffuser, Drilled/Slotted Rotor, Neuspeed F/R Swaybars, Unibrace, W.A.L.K., Tyrol-sport Chassis bolts, 9W2, Polar FIS+

2010 Polo 6R (Flash Red), 77TSI, 5Dr, DSG, Sportspack, MDI, RCD510, GTI grill, 9W7

2007 Yamaha FJR1300 (waaaay too many mods to list here) - The Mile Muncher
post #3 of 11 Old 11-22-2016
Touareg Addict

Touareg: 2005 R5 TDI
Second Vehicle: Still looking
I tow in S in town
I tow in D on open road

All vw/audi engines must use 507.00 spec oil except non-DPF R5/V10 engines that must use 505.01/506.01
93 Pajero GLS 3.0 V6 LWB - SOLD
2001 Gen3 Di-D LWB - SOLD
2005 Touareg 2.5 TDi Air & Bi-Xenon
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 11 Old 11-22-2016 Thread Starter

Touareg: 2014 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: Other
Thanks for the tips Steve and Pikanini.

That's a big van you have Steve.

Might see you around somewhere in WA.

Regards

PEte.
post #5 of 11 Old 11-22-2016
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2004 V10 TDI
If your truck has the factory trailer lighting controller it tells the transmission computer when a trailer is attached, and it will change its shift program accordingly. Use whatever gear range you find works best. If the trans is shifting too soon in D, go to S. On our T1 the S range doesn't lock out 6th, it just delays its engagement till 60 mph or so.

-J

04 Touareg V10 TDI - 150,000 miles
12 Passat TDI - 92,000 miles
99.5 Jetta TDI - 305,000 miles
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

91 Mercedes 350 SDL. Yes, it bent the rods.
91, 92 Jetta ECOdiesels. Gone and missed.
post #6 of 11 Old 11-22-2016
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2016 V6 TDI
I've run all my automatics is "D" when towing - it changes down itself with the extra load - my Touareg is the first car I've had with enough power to even get into top gear towing !

2015 (16MY) Touareg SE 258 bhp
post #7 of 11 Old 11-22-2016

I may be looking at this the wrong way, but, would it be better to tow in M and shift at higher rpms for more engine control and faster torque converter lockup? I haven't put a hitch on my touareg yet to experiment with this and the only automatic I have heavy towing experience with is my duramax/allison. The tow/haul mode on the allison raises shift points and locks the converter in each gear. The allison also has a lot of support for upgrades and is easy to rebuild or swap in a manual zf6, I have a lot to learn about this aisin before I put it to work, lol.
post #8 of 11 Old 11-27-2016

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blurple90 View Post
I may be looking at this the wrong way, but, would it be better to tow in M and shift at higher rpms for more engine control and faster torque converter lockup? I haven't put a hitch on my touareg yet to experiment with this and the only automatic I have heavy towing experience with is my duramax/allison. The tow/haul mode on the allison raises shift points and locks the converter in each gear. The allison also has a lot of support for upgrades and is easy to rebuild or swap in a manual zf6, I have a lot to learn about this aisin before I put it to work, lol.
What you describe and the reasons for it are how I've always understood towing should be carried out. Slipping converters and transmissions make heat and heat kills transmissions and converters. Earlier lock up and not slipping the converter due to too high a gear ratio and too low an engine rpm is the way to go.
post #9 of 11 Old 11-28-2016

I probably ask more of my vehicles than most but I could not tow comfortably with a diesel, especially a VW, without a way to constantly monitor EGTs. Or an automatic without monitoring transmission fluid temperature. I would be worried about it the entire time.
I love my VW TDIs but they are not the most efficient engines (EGTs climb fast under load), just the most available diesels here in the US. ROW gets way better options. Keeping RPMs up helps manage EGTs but there is only so much 2 valves per cylinder can do and cats or dpfs make it worse.
post #10 of 11 Old 11-28-2016
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2016 V6 TDI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blurple90 View Post
(EGTs climb fast under load)
That can be turned round to remove the detrimental implication - "EGTs drop rapidly under light loads" - it's a feature of diesels running unthrottled turbo-boosted air and controlling power output by varying the fuel injection quantity and boost pressure - the excess air cools everything.

2015 (16MY) Touareg SE 258 bhp

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode