Club Touareg Forum banner

2014 Touareg TDI towing

15K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  eyelise 
#1 ·
Just bought a 2014 TDI. I would like to tow a travel trailer ( approx. 7000lbs). I know that the Touareg has the power to pull the trailer that's not the issue. Is there a specific tow package for the Touareg. Does the suspension need to be upgraded or is the factory suspension adequate. I know I have to have to install the wiring harness. I went to 2 VW dealers and explained what I wanted to do and I just got the deer in the headlight look. They are clueless.

#2 ·
From what I understand the tow package consists of the hitch and the wiring harness. The tranny cooler etc come standard on all models now. There is a great sticky at the top talking about WDH systems. Also there are some good threads around about brake controllers. Yes, most the dealers are clueless when it comes to towing, I had the same issue.

#3 ·
In the US market, you get the 850 watt coolant fan on the T3/7P as standard.

In some other markets, unless you factory ordered your tow-hitch with the new T3/7P car, you got a 650 watt fan which, if you tow to sunnier/hillier climates, probably needs upgrading at a cost of GB£1,000.

We don't know, yet, what is coming through on the T4/7P facelift.

It is also possible that, with a factory installed hitch, you get an additional continued coolant circulation pump...

http://www.mytreg.com/index.php?/to...lation-pump-v51/page__pid__331745#entry331745

#4 ·
The 7000 pound loaded trailer weight won't be the issue. It will be the tongue weight. For the OE installed factory hitch, it seems 616 pounds is the VW recommended max tongue weight allowed (The 616 pounds is derived by multiplying the max tow capacity X 0.08 which is 8% of towed weight.)

The tongue weight of your trailer will be subtracted from the load you can carry in the Touareg. The suspension is designed I'm sure to accommodate the 616 pounds of additional weight on the rear axle(s). If your Touareg sags because of much more tongue weight, then perhaps you might want to use a Weight Distributing Hitch system, as some other owners have done.

If you read the many many threads available on this issue, it seems that some owners go over the tongue weight , and install weight distributing hitch systems, which increase the load burden on the hitch in order to distribute weight transfer to the front of the tow vehicle.

All I know is this, I haven't read about a Touareg OE hitch failure yet... Or someone with a hitch failure hasn't reported it here.

#5 ·
With an american made and design travel trailer of +/- 7,000 lbs, the tongue weight will be close to 1,000 lbs with all the gears, 2 lpg bottles (probably 30 lbs lpg bottles), battery(s) etc. Add to this the weight of the weight distribution hitch (you WILL NEED ONE...).
And at this point, with 2 or 3 passengers, you will exceed by far the maximum payload, the gawr and gvwr of the Touareg. And not enough wheel base for a 7,000 lbs travel trailer

Way too much travel trailer for the beast.

In the world or art of towing, there is a lot more to take in consideration than just the ''towing capacity'' and HP and torque.

#6 ·
I talked to volkswagon and they said that the factory suspension is adequate for a 7700 lb payload. Thanks for the information on trailer and hitch weights. It looks like I will have to look for a smaller trailer in the 5000-6000 range. Will keep you updated.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.