2013 Toaureg TDI tow hitch DIY install question - Club Touareg Forums

post #1 of 16 Old 07-14-2016 Thread Starter

Touareg: 2013 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: is not a VW
2013 Toaureg TDI tow hitch DIY install question

I bought a Touareg used last year and it did not have a hitch installed. I am in the process of installing one. Planning on going OEM. I saw on another thread someone using VW 7P0803881 hitch and VW 7P1055203 tow wiring. Looking online, this is what I see for the wiring from the part number above:
https://www.ecstuning.com/Search/7p1055203/ES2205380/

I understand that there is a module as shown in the link. However, when I look at the passengers side trunk panel I see this module which I think it would mean that a module is already installed in my Touareg (Image shown below) If that is the case, what do I need to install from the module to the hitch (part#) and do I need to do anything else vagcom/computer related???
Dealer said that I need to take it in to get it programmed if installing a towing wiring harness kit. Now, if mine has the module already installed it seems, do I still need to take it in??

"Can't get link to show for image" here is the link:
https://1drv.ms/i/s!AkTEplHYH0eK1g1agsPhq5IJsD1Z
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 08-04-2016

Touareg: 2012 V6 FSI
Installed hitch and electronics in my 2012 V6. I suspect your 2013 TDI is similar.

My Treg did not have the electronics installed. I installed the module in the aft starboard quarter panel, right where you found yours. On connecting my trailer, I found that turn signals worked, brake actuation worked, but brake lights did not even though 4-way flashers did. The Treg would indicate that a trailer light bulb was out, which is pretty cool. Yours appears to be missing the connection to the 7-way near the receiver; the EOM harness is awesome in that it includes a bulkhead gromet where the wires dive through from inside to outside, and it includes retention parts all the way to the 7-way.

My dealer offered to "code for towing" for 1.5 hours of labor, or $150; he did not exude confidence. My independent garage hooked up VAGCOM and did two things: 1) they told the gateway that the car was set up for towing, and b) they changed a "1" in block 69 (towing) to a "2". Cost $0.

After coding the "1" to a "2" all lights and functions work, including brake lights, and I'm happy. If the vehicle is factory configured for towing, the lift gate won't actuate when a trailer is connected. On my configuration the lift gate works when connected, and that's OK 'cause it doesn't collide with anything on my trailer.

I recommend that you buy a $13 tester to plug in to the 7-way. This will allow verification without needing the trailer. Do this first and find out if you have brake lights, turn lights, brake actuation, charge (12.9V) and running lights. If all that works, you're done. The common thing I've read here is that brake lights don't work 'cause the car thinks it has a European trailer, so you have to inform the car that it has a North American trailer. That's the key coding change that needs to be made.

BTW - My 2012 is a "7P" chassis, and that's what's at the start of the P/N's implying the hitch and wiring harness is for the 7P chassis.

2012 Touareg V6 FSI lux
2009 BMW 535i xDrive
2007 TrailManor 3124KB
The Following User Says Thank You to CurtCharlesPDX For This Useful Post:
javijavit (10-18-2016)
post #3 of 16 Old 09-06-2016 Thread Starter

Cool. Thanks for the tips with the VAGCOM setup. That will be helpful. Now if I coul donly figure out what is the part number for the wiring that runs from the module to the hitch. Everywhere I look they only sell the wiring as a kit with the module. I have to module so I don't want to pay for it. I even called the dealer and they can't figure it out. I might have to end up buying the kite with the module and just selling the extra module later IF i CAN'T FIND THAT. If any one knows that PLEASE LET ME KNOW!
post #4 of 16 Old 10-18-2016 Thread Starter

Curt,

So I did the install last Sunday. I need some hep though. The instructions for installing the OEM wiring are not clear. I found the green plug in vehicle for attaching the other green connector I also understand the other connector of the wiring goes to the module. All that is straight forward. However, the kit includes a small wire with two female connectors at one end a a male at the other and I have looked everywhere and can't seem to find where this would go. Check out the onedrive links fo the pictures of the kit. The second link is for the wiring I am talking about. If you know where this goes I would appreciate some insight!!

https://1drv.ms/i/s!AkTEplHYH0eK6XEXlxNzjJuhkSFF

https://1drv.ms/i/s!AkTEplHYH0eK6XDcWRDjuHQFYJic
post #5 of 16 Old 10-19-2016

Javijavit,

The little one is a bit tricky. I reached very far forward in the aft panel, almost to the door and somewhat high. I have no idea what it does, but there was only one way to hook it up with the supplied harness, so I must have gotten it right.

I found the wires about 16" forward of the control box; I didn't fully remove the interior trim piece, but I reached far forward and found it. I think it comes from up high, so search nearly at the door, in front of the wheel well, and near the window. You should find a small bundle of wires with a bridge. Disconnect what's there and install the harness.

Good luck!

2012 Touareg V6 FSI lux
2009 BMW 535i xDrive
2007 TrailManor 3124KB
post #6 of 16 Old 10-29-2016 Thread Starter

Curt,

So I have looked to the point that I removed all the panels and I just cannot find anything that would hook up to that wire. I am starting to wonder if this would be something that is not needed for all models. My model Touareg LUX does not have sensors in the bumper. Heck here is a picture of the panel removed and I see nothing.

If anyone know what this wire is for and if it is needed Please!!!! Let me know!! Car is all in pieces right now

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20161029_115544.png
Views:	153
Size:	455.7 KB
ID:	161938

post #7 of 16 Old 10-31-2016
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2016 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: Other
Did you try looking at this link already?

OEM Trailer hitch & wiring install

Did you ask one of the local dealers parts departments? Or contact 1stvwparts.com?

2016 TDI Lux with DA Package|White over Anthracite Interior|20" rims off 2012 Executive
post #8 of 16 Old 10-31-2016
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2016 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: Other
Other thing I noticed in searching google is that ecstuning used to offer an older kit without the small wiring with the male and 2 female connectors. I wonder if that part is for newer T3 models?

2016 TDI Lux with DA Package|White over Anthracite Interior|20" rims off 2012 Executive
post #9 of 16 Old 11-01-2016

Javijavit -

You certainly disassembled the interior more thoroughly than did I! My 2012 is also a Lux trim level car. What I found on mine was a very small loom of perhaps 4 wires ending in 2 black connectors. VW likes to tuck unused connectors into odd places to prevent rattles, so they might have buried it.

In your picture I can see what looks like a small wire bundle forward of the "X" structure. That could be what you're seeking.

I wish I could be more help.

2012 Touareg V6 FSI lux
2009 BMW 535i xDrive
2007 TrailManor 3124KB
post #10 of 16 Old 11-03-2016 Thread Starter

Looked at the threads and nothing is clear. Will try contacting the place mentioned above. Dealer isn't very helpful unless they do it themselves.

As far as the small wiring in front of the "x" that actually goes to the x-structure which is the seat belt winding assembly. MY plan was not to have to disassemble all the panels but as you can imagine, frustration got me and I went crazy just pulling stuff apart. At least I learned how to do it and its pretty easy to pull the interior apart. I just left it like this for a couple of days while I configure the module through vcds and check if it all works fine or if it needs that small wire. Will let you know...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode