2013 tdi towing - Club Touareg Forums
Club Touareg Forums  

Go Back   Club Touareg Forums > Club Touareg Technical Forums > Off-Roading & Towing

Join Forest River Forums Today

Old 08-05-2013   #1

Touareg: 2013 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: Still looking
2013 tdi towing

The 2013 manual says not to use a weight distributing hitch. This is my first touareg, so need some advice. Towing dual axle, single axle electric brakes, weight about 5000#. I have always used a weight distributing hitch in the past, but it was on a big diesel truck

Old 08-05-2013   #2
Touareg Guru

There are lots of threads on towing where this has been discussed at great length.

Go to the Search facility and type in "Towing". Then you can spend a bit of time reading up the various threads to see what others think.

Old 08-05-2013   #3
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2012 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: Other
Cliff Notes answer.....VW says no, but many do and no known failures. If it were me, I'd use it but just keep the tongue weight under 700Lbs or so, but that's just my opinion.
Old 08-05-2013   #4
Touareg Enthusiast

Second Vehicle: is not a VW
Quote:
Originally Posted by pajohn View Post
Cliff Notes answer.....VW says no, but many do and no known failures. If it were me, I'd use it but just keep the tongue weight under 700Lbs or so, but that's just my opinion.
+1

And after looking at the tow bar, I won't be using a weight distribution hitch until I can add some more bracing to the bottom of the hitch. That won't happen until I get rid of the gas tank sized muffler

Maybe it will happen soon, the US powerball lottery is up to $400 million.
Old 08-06-2013   #5
Touareg Enthusiast

Second Vehicle: VW 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisw View Post

+1

And after looking at the tow bar, I won't be using a weight distribution hitch until I can add some more bracing to the bottom of the hitch. That won't happen until I get rid of the gas tank sized muffler

Maybe it will happen soon, the US powerball lottery is up to $400 million.
"I'll buy that for a dollar"...or two
Old 08-09-2013   #6

Second Vehicle: Still looking
Quote:
Originally Posted by noobytoogy View Post
There are lots of threads on towing where this has been discussed at great length.

Go to the Search facility and type in "Towing". Then you can spend a bit of time reading up the various threads to see what others think.
OK, so I have read everything I can find in the forums, and it seems there is no consensus on weight distributing hitches. I am concerned with the statement in the manual, would hate to have my warranty compromised. My plan is to try to set it up as best I can without the WD, and see how it tows.
Old 08-09-2013   #7
Touareg Enthusiast

Second Vehicle: is not a VW
Quote:
Originally Posted by smeyer1116 View Post
OK, so I have read everything I can find in the forums, and it seems there is no consensus on weight distributing hitches. I am concerned with the statement in the manual, would hate to have my warranty compromised. My plan is to try to set it up as best I can without the WD, and see how it tows.
The manual is pretty explicit in the warning. I am personally not going to run a WD hitch. I am not concerned about the german over engineered hitch, but the unibody construction that it connects too.
Old 08-09-2013   #8

I don't have my 2013 Treg yet but I will use a WDH to tow my travel trailer (23' long, single axle, 3,600 lbs loaded and +/- 600 lbs on the tongue).

A few weeks ago I found in a post on this forum a copy of a letter coming VW chat. The member ask VW about towing and the use of WDH. Here is a citation of the letter from VW:

''Volkswagen strongly discourages the use of weight distribution hitches. An improperly adjusted weight distributing hitch system may reduce handling, stability, braking performance, and could result in an accident. We recommend to only use a weight-carrying trailer hitch designed and approved for the gross weight of the trailer you want to tow.''
Since VW has NO control on how these wdh are adjusted on their custumers vehicule, I do agree with the warning and their position. They don't take any chance and I would say by experience that the majority of the combo on the road with wdh are note very well adjusted and some are dangerous with very poor control of the tt behind. So I don't think that the warning from VW has nothing to do with the frame (unibody or not) of the Treg.

WDH are simply fantastic for the best handling of a combo when and only when they are WELL ADJUSTED and it's not a rocket science but unfortunately, so few people know how to do it right. And the RV dealers are the worst places to get them right.
Old 08-09-2013   #9

Second Vehicle: too many to list
Towing small stuff (under 2K lbs) is easy, just hitch up and go. when you start towing near the 6000lb+ range everything changes. You can read up on my experiences with WDH...that said towing is 100000% about setup. make sure your setup is perfectly level, this will mean getting the exact correct height on your receiver. Get a hitch scale and make sure your weight is packed such that a minimum of 10% (15% is optimal) hitch weight rests on the hitch. These two factors are what contribute to sway...off on these two and you get sway (and people will sell you all kinds of overpriced junk to prevent sway). I towed over 100K miles on my pickups with trailers >10K pounds, never had sway once, never used any silly gadget. Followed very anal setup every time I'd travel.

WIEGH your trailer, WIEGH your hitch weight. the published travel trailer specs are never even close.

Tire pressures (on both vehicles) are critical. brake controller setup is critical. Bearings on trailer must be checked and lubed religiously (every 500 miles).

Think like a private pilot doing pre flight checks before flying a cessna. You need a systematic lineup of checks and you stay grounded until everything is perfect.

I've towed probably more than anyone with Touaregs, have used WDH on steel suspension and never on Air suspension. Never used anti sway (on Treg's or any other vehicles).Used very light WD.

THis thing will out-tow any 1/2 ton pickup easy. Better brakes, better suspension, better electronic controls, better everything. You ARE up against a short-ish wheelbase but its still a 5000lbs vehicle (same as any 1/2 ton pickup).

Remember Setup setup setup. Did I mention setup?
'09 TDI, '07 V8 FSI, '04 V10 TDI, '04 VR6
nickm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2013   #10

+1, +3, +4 and on and on...

About my tt bearings, well, I use synthetic grease and i'm good for 2 years and +/- 25,000 km. I don't use the ''Eaz-lub'' feature. I'm from the old school and open all the bearings and do it by hands. Never had a problem in many, many years of towing.

And just like you wrote, SETUP, SETUP, SETUP

I did tow a 25' TT with a 107'' wb tow vehicule (Pathfinder 2003 and unibody frame) for 10 years without any sway or problem. I was using a Reese Dual-Cam WDH (very well tuned) and it was VERY stable in all situations.

Ho, and never try to make an unstable combo with adding a sway control device. Make sure your combo is stable first and add a sway control (if you want) as a cheap insurance for extreme manoevre like fast changing line on highway to avoid something at the last second (debris etc.).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.