Club Touareg Forum banner

Touareg Light Bar Install

123K views 230 replies 58 participants last post by  ePa 
#1 ·
Sharing a few pics of my led light bar install. The addition will help when offroad and travelling the country and outback roads.

Took forever to drill the first hole in the front bar. Hooked up the wiring - permanent positive from the box by the jump start terminal & switched from the passenger side fuse box.
Before and after pics show what a difference it makes. will drive around a bit more at night to do final adjustment.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
It is, makes the xenons look inferior :(

For now the temporary switch is placed on the dash, just above knee level. Held by double sided tape.
I plan on using an original VW switch similar to the hazard light switch. Will post a pic once done.

Happy with the make and light output of the bar, LEDs are the way to go!

#3 ·
That was a really interesting video regardless!

What make is the light bar?

#6 ·
#4 ·
Nice install! I've been seriously impressed by the LED lumen/watt ratio. I only have two 18 watt lights on the front and they are in incredible improvement over the stock main beams - even with the SLS. :)

#8 ·
Specs tell me this bar is 90watts, looks like its is :)

#5 ·
Neat installation Singh.

I plan on getting a light bar myself, and your 'location' has given my a solution to it's final resting place. NICE.

#7 ·
Cheers Steve. Drilling holes on that bar is a very tough job but can be done

#10 ·
Bloody Norah - just seen the price!!

#12 ·
I am sure its a lot cheaper in US and other markets.
Here in oz its all quite expensive

#13 ·
Wow, that's a lot of light! Why didn't you use a few metal straps instead of drilling?
Thought of it but couldnt find a way to secure the metal straps or a bracket.
Nothing closeby to secure

#20 ·
Good job there Drag! We will have to test it side by side now.
Fyi i am hoping the extra i paid gives me better lighting and water protection
With all my offroading i needed the ip rating
Tested it around gibb river where it got dunked fully several times :)

#21 ·
I just ordered a 14" 72W bar from Tuff LED lights. Currently have two 18W lights that are brighter than the headlights so this should be more than enough illumination.

The best part? It's on sale for $49.99 + $15 shipping (US). Ultra Series LED Light Bar - 14 Inch 72 Watt - Spot : Tuff Led Lights

I'd rather mount it below the bumper for aesthetics but above for functionality. The upper mount should be easier so maybe I'll try it first.

#22 ·
#25 ·
Several ways to hook up switch, I used the existing hole on the passenger side(australia) to route the wiring inside. Lift the bonnet and the top right corner is where the hole is, plugged with a rubber grommet.

Reactions: happy guy
#29 ·
300m? Suspect it is 300mm!!

#31 ·
So it's a measurement of quality not length/thickness?

EDIT - Just Googled it. Strong stuff!!

#33 ·
#34 ·
Singh,

Is there any noticeable interference to the light pattern in shooting through the grill? Any shadows or "louvre" effect due to the honeycombed grill at all?
Are you happy with the mounted height of the bar or would a couple of spacers under the bracket be better?
I take it you removed the bumper to drill the the mounting holes, the drilling sounds it will be hardest task with this job.

Asking because I got myself a GW 18LED bar and wiring harness the other day and thinking of mounting in the same position that you have, the only other place I could mount would be on the front roof rack (which should throw a better light pattern especially for offroad work) but not sure how to bring the cabling into the cabin and the legalities of having the light bar mounted that high.

Any tips or pitfalls on the install greatly appreciated.

TonyB

#36 ·
Singh, Is there any noticeable interference to the light pattern in shooting through the grill? Any shadows or "louvre" effect due to the honeycombed grill at all? Are you happy with the mounted height of the bar or would a couple of spacers under the bracket be better? I take it you removed the bumper to drill the the mounting holes, the drilling sounds it will be hardest task with this job. Asking because I got myself a GW 18LED bar and wiring harness the other day and thinking of mounting in the same position that you have, the only other place I could mount would be on the front roof rack (which should throw a better light pattern especially for offroad work) but not sure how to bring the cabling into the cabin and the legalities of having the light bar mounted that high. Any tips or pitfalls on the install greatly appreciated. TonyB
G'day Tony Light output is quite high- i used the 24 led gw bar, so to answer your question no there is no noticeable impact of the grill being there. I am quite happy with the install and the location and i do have thick plastic tape between the bracket and bumper- removes any vibration. No i didnt take the bumper off to drill the holes. Make sure you use the right kind of bits as explained to drill. Other consideration is the slightly higher temp as a result of the bar blocking air. No big deal. Have done 15k since install Mounting on roof rack gives better throw angle but wiring, reflection off bonnet and having roof rack there everytime ruled it out for me,

#35 ·
Tony,

be aware of a possible reflection off the bonnet if you mount the light bar that high. Especially when you consider the light bar will provide a spread of light, as opposed to a 'beam' of light from a dedicated long range single light unit.

A solution could/might be to 'wrap' the bonnet with a matt finish wrapping, which would detract from the reflection effect.

#37 ·
I have disconnected my lightbar for now. It gives too much light up close and destroys long distance night vision as the pupils contract from the light close by.

I have replaced the H7 halogens with an H7 HID kit and now I'm much happier with the light.

I will put the lightbar on a switch for slowspeed tight turn driving but a lightbar is not good for range IMHO..

#39 ·
Interesting...., that's the first time I have heard of such a problem but can visualise what you mean, I had planned on connecting the light bar on the high beam circuit with an off/on switch so the light bar can be turned off when not needed.
I don't much like the HID kit idea and was toying with replacing the standard halogen H7's with these:
SilverStar® ULTRA
A simple bulb swap and quite a good improvement (so it seems) on light output.
Anyone tried this change-over yet?

Tony

#40 ·
In December I used Philips +130% as a stop gap whilst I waited for a new ballast for my HIDs.

Total and utter waste of time and money.

The light output from halogens in T1 headlights is so bad and actually incredibly dangerous that I parked the car up for a few days until the new HIDs kit arrived.

VERY happy with my 55w HIDs.

#41 ·
I guess we are individuals with differing tastes. I am happy with what the GW lightbar does to add to the xenons, you can see from the pics.
Outback the combination was great.

Tony, i simply removed the top grill which then gives access to the bumper straight below, so you can drill down.
Measure up and happy drilling, cutting oil will be handy

#42 ·
Seems that you cannot remove the centre portion of the grill on the T2's, it is no longer removable and you need to remove the whole front bumper from the lights down as one piece.
Hedditch should be able to confirm as he mounted his winch back there.
Apparently this applies from '06 models onwards.

TonyB

#43 ·
Seems that you cannot remove the centre portion of the grill on the T2's, it is no longer removable and you need to remove the whole front bumper from the lights down as one piece. Hedditch should be able to confirm as he mounted his winch back there. Apparently this applies from '06 models onwards. TonyB
Will make it easy anyway, doesnt take much to remove bumper

#44 ·
I'm stopping by a local shop tomorrow to check out and possibly purchase a 23" slim LED light bar. I am hoping that I'll be able to mount it in the lower grill on my t3 bumper.

I whipped up a quick photoshop of what I'm thinking:

Here is the link to the bar:
23" 100W CREE 20PC SLIM LED LIGHT BAR

#45 ·
I'm stopping by a local shop tomorrow to check out and possibly purchase a 23" slim LED light bar. I am hoping that I'll be able to mount it in the lower grill on my t3 bumper. I whipped up a quick photoshop of what I'm thinking: Here is the link to the bar: 23" 100W CREE 20PC SLIM LED LIGHT BAR
All the best, hope it fits in well and doesn't impact eng temp much, at all