GForce Performance Chip? What's your opinion? - Club Touareg Forums
Club Touareg Forums  

Go Back   Club Touareg Forums > Club Touareg Technical Forums > Touareg Exterior Mods

Join Forest River Forums Today

Old 07-23-2010   #1

Touareg: 2004 V6
Second Vehicle: a bicycle
Send a message via Skype™ to shaggy007
GForce Performance Chip? What's your opinion?

I recently bought a used 2004 Touareg V6 3.2 and curious what the community thinks about chipping for better performance, fuel economy, etc... I found this chip (VOLKSWAGEN TOUAREG G-Force Peformance Chip) which says installation is plug in a go basically.

Has anyone used gforcechips in their Touareg OR have another product they'd like to recommend? Basically I do not want to loose performance but gain a bit better MPG. Currently its been about 15mpg giving me just about 300miles to the tank.

I'm also looking around for air in-take and exhaust systems. Any suggestions there?

Old 07-23-2010   #2
Touareg Addict

Touareg: Still looking
Second Vehicle: too many to list
"Chipping" does give gains. With TDI you have some good 'tuning' options. Pity the 3.0 TDI was not available over there when it got released. From what I've observed, the V6.3.2 is never going to be great on fuel. But US fuel prices are lower than we pay here, as is the cost of purchase. Panther tuning are working on FSI and TSI engine tuning boxes and they are not expensive. If you optimise your tyre pressures and driving habits, you'll likely gain a10% improvement on consumption.

- 4xmotion 3.0 V6TDI - never missed a beat.SOLD - 04/2012
A truly great vehicle!!!! replaced with Passat and Navara
2007 - VW Crafter 3.5 MWB 2.5 TDI (Steinbauer ECU). German build.
2006 -
VW Caddy 1.9 TDI 6-spd manual...retired. Polish build.
2009 - VW Caddy Maxi 1.9 TDI DSG, Polish build,
2011 - VW Passat 125 TDI Highline DSG..... German build. Runs on fumes.
2012 - Navara D22 2.5 TD dual cab, chipped +400nm, 3" hi-flow exhaust, 3" lift (boat tractor). Jap build.

OILSLURPER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2010   #3
Too Cool to Leave School

Touareg: 2006 V8
Second Vehicle: 2004 V8
I just had a customer call the other day asking to compare GIAC software (that we sell) to this GForce "chip" (for a '07 S4).... In reality their website is quite misleading with photos and "pricing"... It isn't a "chip", in fact it is simply a resistor that you wire into the intake air temp sender to trick the motor into thinking it's really a different temperature than it really is. This will then cause it to slightly modify its timing and fuel maps. From seeing these style of "chips" on eBay for years, it makes the motor think the air coming in is very cold, thus it will add more fuel and slightly advance timing. It doesn't "reprogram the ECU" as it states.

Their claims of up to 60HP are completely ridiculous, as are the gains of 4-7MPG and 25-40% fewer emissions... For your 3.2 VR6 the realistic gains from a real performance ECU flash (such as GIAC) is about 10-13HP (12-15lb/ft) depending on 91 or 93 octane use. Generally speaking with an ECU reflash, your fuel economy will increase slightly. R32 owners usually gain around 1-2MPG in normal driving, I would imagine the Touareg w/ same engine would be similar. My V8 gained about 1.5-3mpg (city vs. highway). In addition to all of this, a true reflash will also greatly help w/ throttle response. I've only driven one 3.2L Touareg but I felt this was kind of lacking, especially knowing how "peppy" the motor is in the R32.

The 3.2L lends very well to the software and it is further helped with intake modifications. I don't think the cat-back will give you any grand gains, however, deleting the second cat(s) should give some low end torque gains.

If you have any other questions about it feel free to PM me, we aren't an advertiser, but I work for a large Audi/VW/BMW/Mini/Porsche performance shop and have plenty of experience with the 3.2L
Old 07-23-2010   #4

Touareg: 2005 V8
Second Vehicle: is not a VW
Send a message via ICQ to VDubfan Send a message via AIM to VDubfan Send a message via Yahoo to VDubfan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anand View Post
Yadda yadda yadda...
This man knows his stuff.

I will be getting the GIAC tune on my 4.2L before the month's out. Thanks again, Anand!
VDubfan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2010   #5
Touareg Guru

Touareg: Still looking
Second Vehicle: too many to list
For the sake of convenience, and their advertized numbers not looking so bad either on paper, I had the Upsolute guy come to my home and have it done right on the spot a couple of months ago. No hassles, no stress, customer service right at your doorstep

Not sure if I have noticed a fuel economy gain, as my foot has a mind of its own, but the rest was exactly what I was expecting. More throttle response, and a TAD bit more seat of the pants feel.

In the past(before I did this on my Egg), I used to tell people that the increased throttle response would be a nuisance, as has been the case on some of the lighter Audi V8 equipped cars, after they had been "chipped." I'd like however to correct my past statements for the Touareg. That increased throttle response now feels "just right." Perhaps due to the 5500lb weight, increasing the throttle response just seems to make up for things.

I did do one of those "before" mobile dyno things. I've yet to do an "after", but when I do(maybe tonight since I'm now discussing this ), I'll post back the results here with printed graph.
Old 07-23-2010   #6

Touareg: 2005 V8
Second Vehicle: is not a VW
Send a message via ICQ to VDubfan Send a message via AIM to VDubfan Send a message via Yahoo to VDubfan
I actually got fed-up with the poor throttle response on the 'Egg to the point where I just went and got the GIAC flash done today. Love it.
VDubfan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2011   #7

Touareg: 2010 V6
Second Vehicle: Still looking
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anand View Post
I just had a customer call the other day asking to compare GIAC software (that we sell) to this GForce "chip" (for a '07 S4).... In reality their website is quite misleading with photos and "pricing"... It isn't a "chip", in fact it is simply a resistor that you wire into the intake air temp sender to trick the motor into thinking it's really a different temperature than it really is. This will then cause it to slightly modify its timing and fuel maps. From seeing these style of "chips" on eBay for years, it makes the motor think the air coming in is very cold, thus it will add more fuel and slightly advance timing. It doesn't "reprogram the ECU" as it states.

Their claims of up to 60HP are completely ridiculous, as are the gains of 4-7MPG and 25-40% fewer emissions... For your 3.2 VR6 the realistic gains from a real performance ECU flash (such as GIAC) is about 10-13HP (12-15lb/ft) depending on 91 or 93 octane use. Generally speaking with an ECU reflash, your fuel economy will increase slightly. R32 owners usually gain around 1-2MPG in normal driving, I would imagine the Touareg w/ same engine would be similar. My V8 gained about 1.5-3mpg (city vs. highway). In addition to all of this, a true reflash will also greatly help w/ throttle response. I've only driven one 3.2L Touareg but I felt this was kind of lacking, especially knowing how "peppy" the motor is in the R32.

The 3.2L lends very well to the software and it is further helped with intake modifications. I don't think the cat-back will give you any grand gains, however, deleting the second cat(s) should give some low end torque gains.

If you have any other questions about it feel free to PM me, we aren't an advertiser, but I work for a large Audi/VW/BMW/Mini/Porsche performance shop and have plenty of experience with the 3.2L
Anand,
I recently purchased a 2010 Touareg VR6. I was looking at the GForce performance chip and was wondering if installed, would this affect the VW factory warranty and/or extended VW warranty?
Old 09-03-2011   #8
Too Cool to Leave School

Don't waste your money, you won't find any real gain, these are not performance chips, they are simply a resistor on the IAT sensor. On a a new VR6 that is integrated into the MAF, which means you will have to cut/splice wiring, which will absolutely cause warranty issues.
Old 09-03-2011   #9
Touareg Guru

Touareg: 2006 V6
Second Vehicle: Still looking
This flashing.... Where and how much? Dealership?

I am new here... Just bought treg. Moving and have to drive 1500 miles so I want to flash then dash.

Any info would be helpful
Chaz
Old 09-03-2011   #10
Too Cool to Leave School

For the '04-'06 3.2L V6's GIAC software is $300 and can be flashed by any one of dozens of GIAC dealers around the world.

Dealer listing: GIAC - Dealers

I think your closest is Dubwerks in Libertyville, IL... If you head in there, tell Rich and Katie that Anand from Induktion says hi; they are good people

Tags
air-intake, exhaust, modification, performance chip

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.