DIY headlight restoration - Club Touareg Forums

post #1 of 8 Old 10-09-2016 Thread Starter
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2005 V8
Second Vehicle: Still looking
Arrow DIY headlight restoration

hi all touareg lovers.
i got my 05 V8 for 4 years now and my headlights have been going more and more hazy and yellow but i did not want to do it in the way as most of the guys do, polishing and buffing it out it just waste of time as they will become yellow again very soon.
probably most of you know that there is factory protecting film coating on the headlights but eventually it fails, especially if the car is parked outside in the sun. the biggest problem is the suns UV rays and oxygen,
here is the step by step guide how i restored my headlights, and i think its the best and most long term protection.
step 1 : remove headlights
step 2 : prepare sandpapers 400, 600, 1000. 1500. 2000. and 2500 grit
step 3 : you will need a hose or a bucket of water
step 4 : start sanding with 400 grit sandpaper, always keep the surface wet. this is the most important step as you will need to remove all the old yellow film and stone chips and every scratch that needs to be removed. remember that 400 grit removes everything tat needs to be removed and other grit sandpapers are only used to make surface more and more smooth so it will be possible to spray the clear coat on them.
step 5 : as you increase the grit, you have to remember that if you have not removed all the unwanted stuff from your headlights with 400 grit 600 grit will not do the job. only reason you will use 600, 1000, 1500, 2000 and 2500 is that you will need to make it as smooth as possible. as i said earlier you need to keep surface wet all the time, dont forget to do all the surfaces evenly with all grits you use.
step 6 : when done with sanding rinse it with water and wash off all the remaining dust from the surface of the headlights and let it dry throughout for at list 4-5 hours.
step 7 : before spaying clear coat use rubbing alcohol to remove any unwanted contamination from the headlight surface.
step 8 : choose the clear coat that will protect from UV rays and it will be as transparent as possible, you can also add some color to it if you want to. like little bit of black or blue or violet to have more effective looks,
i asked my friend to spray the clear cot for my as he is a professional and he knows how to do it in the best way, we used ceramic clear coat and little bit of violet paint to make it look fresh. color is hardly noticeable.
after spraying 2-3 layers of clear coat you may have a little bit of ''orange peel'' and you have to use 3000 grit Trizak and than buff it out with a polishing machine
in my case i did not need it as my friend dose have some magic hands he is one of the best car painters here in Tbilisi. Georgia.
if you will have any questions ill be happy to help
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6336.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	581.4 KB
ID:	160746   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6338adsrverv.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	504.6 KB
ID:	160754  

Name:	IMG_6339sdfsdf.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	403.7 KB
ID:	160762   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6340erfef.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	373.9 KB
ID:	160770  

Name:	IMG_6341sdfsdf.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	586.6 KB
ID:	160778   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6343eefef.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	429.8 KB
ID:	160786  

Name:	IMG_6348dfvdfvfd.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	389.6 KB
ID:	160794   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6349.JPG
Views:	157
Size:	200.3 KB
ID:	160802  

Name:	IMG_6350.JPG
Views:	153
Size:	343.2 KB
ID:	160810   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6357.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	640.1 KB
ID:	160818  

Name:	IMG_6358.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	481.4 KB
ID:	160826   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6355.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	400.9 KB
ID:	160834  

Name:	IMG_6356.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	451.5 KB
ID:	160842   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6367.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	378.8 KB
ID:	160850  

The Following User Says Thank You to nikoloz For This Useful Post:
koren (10-12-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 10-12-2016

Second Vehicle: is not a VW
Amazing job!!!!!!! I'm doing the same and can't really achieve the same results. I got the same looking light after I sanded it with 2000 grit (by the way I'm using the same sandpaper), however everything becoming hazed after applying clear coat...
I will post the pictures tomorrow, may be you can help me figure out what I'm doing wrong!
post #3 of 8 Old 10-12-2016 Thread Starter
Touareg Mechanic

about sanding i can recommend not to do circular motion, do only horizontal or vertical motion, and for the final sanding finish with horizontal motion as it will help the clear coat to level itself evenly,
when you will wash them after sanding and it will be wet you have to have almost perfectly clear headlights, as if they are already done, as they get dry its lightly hazy,
as soon as you will clear coat them they have to be as clear as with water, even better, but if they are becoming hazed its something to do with the clear coat, its reacting to plastic probably.

post #4 of 8 Old 10-13-2016

Second Vehicle: is not a VW
this is how it looks like after applying clear coat

And it looked exactly like yours after 2500 grit

Will try to sand the clear coat with 3000 grit and see if it will help. If not, I'll just buy different clear coat.
post #5 of 8 Old 10-14-2016
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2014 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: too many to list
I was amazed with mine also, until 1 year later, and it returned to looking 10 years old.

---
That is the difference between you and me, I never go back to the carpet store.
-Rick

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My VW youtube Channel:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 8 Old 10-14-2016 Thread Starter
Touareg Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by koren View Post
this is how it looks like after applying clear coat

And it looked exactly like yours after 2500 grit

Will try to sand the clear coat with 3000 grit and see if it will help. If not, I'll just buy different clear coat.
i think its the problem with the clear coat, use a different type
post #7 of 8 Old 10-30-2016

Headlight Restoration

Wow, Nikoloz, those came out GREAT! I hadn't heard of adding a little color to the clear, but it makes sense.
I restored the headlights on my 2005 V8 just last month. I used the Meguiar's kit and they came out almost as well as yours did. The kit has you wet sand from 1000 grit to 3000 grit, but that bothered me, so I wet sanded with 600, 800, 1000, 1500, 2000, 2500, and then the 3000 grit. After that, you use a cloth mop on the end of a drill with a dollop of special polish. Then you finish with a wipe-on UV protectant. I'm very happy with how they turned out.
@ Koren: I agree with Nikoloz. There must be a problem with the clear coat you're using. They make that stuff in satin and flat as well as gloss. I've made that mistake before, as it's not always prominently displayed on the can.
@ Xeno555: Time will tell if I'll have the same experience as yours. But, if mine start to look bad again, I'll just repeat the process. It wasn't that hard to do.

2005 V8, Reed Green w/ Anthracite, Air Suspension, 4 Zone Climatronic, Keyless Entry, Xenons w/ 6 Light Salute, Self-Installed Factory Tow Hitch
post #8 of 8 Old 01-09-2017

Touareg: 2014 V6 TDI
I have had good luck with just polishing mine on a fairly regular basis, but for really faded/pitted lights, this DIY is amazing....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode