Club Touareg Forum banner

Cayenne S springs on my V8 Touareg

11K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  White fish 
#1 ·
Well, 4 hours after we started we're done putting Cayenne S springs on my V8 Touareg - the First I'm aware of this on any Touareg!

The install was pretty straightforward. Not a whole lot of problems. As this was the first time we had removed Touareg suspension components it took a little time to figure out the best way without taking everything apart, but things worked well. I would imagine now that we've done it once it would take a lot less time.

You can see the difference in the springs below:

Front(Cayenne Spring on the Left, Touareg Spring on the Right)

Rear (Touareg Spring on the Left, Cayenne Spring on the Right)

Since the Cayenne Springs are stiffer and don't compress as much, they don't have to be as long.

Measurements before (ground to fender)

Front - 34" Rear - 33 5/8"

Measurements after (ground to fender)

Front - 33 1/2" Rear - 33 1/4"

I only drove the Touareg around the block before the 'After' measurements. I'll measure again tomorrow after driving some more. I'm sure they will settle a little still.

(After)

Driving difference - The difference is night and day. The Touareg feels the way I always wanted it to feel. The dive and squat when braking and accelerating is pretty much gone, but the biggest difference is in the handling. There is hardly any body roll left to right and it feels great!! In side to side comparison to an Air Suspension Touareg, my Touareg feels tighter side to side than the Air Suspension set on the Sport mode.

I'm very pleased with how it's turned out. It seems to sit a little more level than it did before. I'll measure the height again tomorrow and post as it settles.

:joy:

John

See less See more
#4 ·
I actually got the springs from a Cayenne S owner who had replaced his stock springs with a set from H&R. I have no idea how much it would cost to purchase a set from the dealer. So, my recommendation would be to find a Cayenne owner who has replaced their springs, and offer to take their old springs off their hands...

I would be careful, though and if you have a V6 Touareg, replace those with only V6 Cayenne springs, and if you have a V8 Touareg replace those with V8 Cayenne springs.

I only replaced the springs, did not replace the shocks.

I went and drove almost 100 miles this morning in the canyons. I love how this Touareg feels now with the stiffer springs!! Cornering is wonderful and the ride is not harsh at all.
After the drive I measured again -

Front - 33 1/2"
Rear - 33 1/4"

So it hasn't settled any more than last night.

I also had a chance to look at the color dots on the Cayenne springs. Front have Gold, Gold, Light Blue. Rear have a White dot and a Yellow dot.

This would mean I have the following parts:

Front springs: 955 343 533 06 504
Rear springs: 955 333 531 06 504

There are 4 different sets of Cayenne front springs and 6 different sets of Cayenne rear springs. I'm trying to figure out what the differences between them all are.

#6 ·
just a thought could a guy not just cut a loop or two from stock springs to get the drop you wanted we do it all the time on other vehicles. not only would it drop the car but the less loops you have the stiffer the spring rate would be. even thou it is a progessivly wound spring with two different seat sizes i would think you could cut on the big end where you have more loops i'm looking for about a 2 inch drop in the front and about a 1 1/2 in the rear mybe i'm just oversimplifing things, would like to know what other members think stan.

#7 ·
Rastahmann said:
There is hardly any body roll left to right and it feels great!! In side to side comparison to an Air Suspension Touareg, my Touareg feels tighter side to side than the Air Suspension set on the Sport mode.

I'm very pleased with how it's turned out. It seems to sit a little more level than it did before. I'll measure the height again tomorrow and post as it settles.

:joy:

John

I have mine a lowered a little over an inch in my air suspension treg, and there is no body roll in sport mode. Very little in comfort mode.

#8 ·
I am having this exact procedure done at a specialty shop as I write this.

I was interested in doing something that improved handling but kept the higher profile for the odd off road need for clearance. I had the shop buy the springs noted in this thread and found that the front Cayenne spring part numbers stated above are the stiffest available for the S and the rear are middle of the road in stiffness. The tech said that this set up should provide good cornering and less body roll but provide a bit softer ride as the rear springs will absorb some of the road chatter.

I pick up the Treg soon and am excited to see how much this really improves the body roll and overall cushy feeling that comes stock in the 04 V8.

I will update when I have a chance to drive it.....

P

#9 ·
I got the Treg back two days ago with the Cayenne S springs installed and it handles beautifully. I was concerned that it would make the ride too firm and harsh but on the contrary it is a smoother ride.

Couple observations for those wanting to imporve handling and ride for less than $1,000.

Ride
Smoother. Now that I can compare, the firmer springs take much of the floatiness and side to side movement that the stock springs allowed in even normal driving. The Treg holds the line much better and does not leap and squat as it did when accelerating while moving (even at highway speeds). Although it is not a sports car it has some of the characteristics of my 2.7T as far as responsiveness goes.

Handling
Much improved. The body roll and looseness that I felt in turns is almost completely gone. It does still have some roll but since these springs only lowered the vehicle about 1/4" some body roll should be expected. But it is vastly improved over stock. I feel a lot more confidence on winding roads and in tight turns, especially turns into a uphill grade where I used to feel the vehicle was really rolling. Stopping and accelerating from a stop is night and day.

All in all I am extremely pleased.

P

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.