From a Treg 1 to a Treg 3 and why again VW - Club Touareg Forums

post #1 of 4 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2011 V8 TDI
Second Vehicle: VW 2
Thumbs up From a Treg 1 to a Treg 3 and why again VW

Hello everyone, I just sold my '03 V10 TDI ( for very little ) and bought a 2011 V8 TDI. (for a whole lot more )

I would like to tell you why and what the difference the is between a T1 and a T3 ( loads )

First a couple of pics

The T1

The T3

The V10 has always served me fine and other then the usual (driveshaft bearing support, tandem pump, rear latch struts, suspension silent blocks, etc) no big repairs, just routine maintenance. When it had close to 200k km's on the clock I found it was time to start looking for something else, something newer. It had to be something similar in size, horses and gadgets...and within my budget. And did I mention I loved the VW to bits?

So I went to see:

A 2010 Audi Q7 V8TDI.
Sounds great, but when you are close to one it looks like a chubby A6 and those silly red digits in the Hvac controls and the dash is just so 1989.
7 seats? Maybe if you could get to them. So that's a no.

2011 BMW X5 4.0d
Not bad but this is a 15 year old design. Even with the M-style package still not my thing. Again with the red digits in the dash. Only 6 cylinders? Another no.

2010 Porsche Cayenne diesel
Hell no

2013 Porsche Cayenne diesel
That's a lot better, nice interior. But V6...no air suspension. Still a no

2011 VW Touareg V8TDI
Amazing Dakar brown paint. 20" rims. V8. Dynaudio. Brown interior. Heated/cooled everything. RNS850. Electric disappearing tow bar. Air suspension. Kessy.......Where do I sign?

I think that sums up why I got another Treg. Out of all of them it gave me the most bang for my buck and apart from that I really like the looks of the V-dub compared to the others. The Treg is a gentleman and the Cayenne a pimp.

I took delivery of the T3 only last Tuesday, so haven't even been able to go through the manual but so far it's been amazingly familiar somehow. Everything is where it should be and works the same (or almost) as in the T1. Got in and drove off, felt like home right away.

How do they compare?

Well, the outside is obvious, the T3 is sharper shaped and somehow seems smaller. But it isn't, it's actually a little bigger. Let's open a door.

The V10 had a luxurious cab, but this is a step up from that. From the moment you get in you will notice how well it's been put together. It feels roomier then the T1. Cleaner, not so many buttons. Seats are better. The leather seems of a better quality too.

Ignition on: the dashboard and radio come on, now that is something else then the T1. 3d imaging, bright colours, touch screen, so cool. Tacho and rev counter do a quick self test and the steering wheel comes towards you. Ready to go.

Push start and ...almost nothing. Dash says it will start the engine, but it's so incredibly silent, only by the rev counter do you know the engine is running. The T1 would made a sound like one has disturbed a bear in it's winter sleep, this V8 sort of whispers. Until we put it in D an hit the skinny pedal. Then you know there are 340 horses working under the hood. Very nice dark rumble. Sounds smooth, other then the V10's kinda rattle sound.

When you get your head back into it's normal position you will see that you have passed the speed limit in any country by 2 light years so ease off and let's cruise. Again, total silence doing 120 Km/ph. The T3 feels lighter, more sturdy. The smaller steering wheel and the heavier set assist helps to give you more feedback. The T1 handled like a boat some times. Especially on inclined roads, haven't noticed any pulling or not obeying in the T3.

Turn on cruise control and go to sleep. The T3 will brake and accelerate on it's own, always keeping a save distance from the traffic ahead. Will even make an emergency stop if need be. Nice feature, but I wish the controls where still on the steering wheel like in the T1. Talking about that, unfortunately VW also got rid of that handy roller wheel / OK switch thingy of the T1 and replaced it with separate buttons. And they swapped the radio volume controls to the left. I guess I'll have to get accustomed to that.

Ok, now let's park. Put it in R and the cameras come on. Dunno how they did that but I can see the car from above like a bird or in 360 if I want. Nice feature, I already hit a garbage can and a Honda Civic not watching my mirrors.

Press the start/stop again and everything shuts down. Put your finger on the little Kessy notch in the door handle, not a button anymore like on the T1 and it goes to sleep after folding the mirrors in.

Conclusion: this the V10 TDI all grown up and over all the little colds and snivels young ones get. Went to the gym, lost wait, gained muscle, had a haircut and a tailored suit. A star is born.

PS: VW didn't seem to think so because they dropped the V8 TDI engine for MY2016. You can now get it in a Cayenne only. Days of V10 and V12 are long gone, VAG now only wants to give you a V6. A pitty. On the bright side: I know what my next car will be in about 8 to 10 year
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 1 Week Ago
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2010 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: is not a VW
Still like the T1 better! I don't mind my 3.0L TDI at all. Great motor.

Jason

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

- 10' TDI
post #3 of 4 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2011 V8 TDI
Second Vehicle: VW 2
I didn't say the 3.0 was a bad engine, but when one is used to 300+ bhp there is no turning back.

post #4 of 4 Old 1 Week Ago
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2010 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: is not a VW
I am not sure I said you said it was a bad motor. Just sticking up for the 3.0L haha. Lot easier to deal with and if I wanted I could boost to 300+Hp pretty easy. I love the V10 but just can't deal with the possible headaches, now. Put that engine in my 2010 and maybe we have deal. No the T3 is a great car too. I might grab one of those for trips and keeps the T1 for off-road, camping, surfing, skiing etc...

Jason

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

- 10' TDI

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode