Sirius Traffic service in Canada - Club Touareg Forums

post #1 of 66 Old 05-08-2012 Thread Starter

Touareg: 2012 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: is jealous
Smile Sirius Traffic service in Canada

If you are interested in getting the Traffic info from Sirius in Canada on your RNS-850, here's how to do it:

- Wait for your 90 day trial to expire. Once expired, your ESN will be freed from Sirius Canada. Don't waste your time with Sirius Canada, they are useless.
- Go to Welcome to the world of satellite radio - SiriusXM Radio and register for a new account. You will need your radio's ESN, which can be found in the Setup section.
- Make sure to use a valid US address, can even be a PO box (need to be valid as per the USPS). This will only be used to send you junk mail anyway.
- Pick the Traffic service in the service list
- Use a credit card like an Amex that will not be flagged as a Canadian card.

Voila!

The service cost only $3.99US per month and yes it does work in Canada, no matter what the bozos at Sirius Canada say!

It took me no more than 10 minutes and my RNS-850 now shows Traffic info, which is pretty useful. It seems to cover most major cities in Quebec and Ontario. Did not check further but if anyone is interested, I can check if asked.

Enjoy!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 66 Old 05-08-2012

Touareg: 2012 V6 FSI
Toggle, thanks for the information. What exactly appears on the traffic screen, is it the nav map with coloured roads?

I also found out that Model year 2013 Touaregs will get 4 years free sirius (although maybe USA models only)

Volkswagen Offering 4-Year Satellite Traffic Subscription on Certain 2013 Models - Rumor Central
post #3 of 66 Old 05-23-2012 Thread Starter

It will be for the US only as Sirius Canada is still a mess (not yet merged with XM and unable to find their arse from the ground!) and they don't officially offer the service. In fact, they are totally clueless about it.

What you get is live traffic info on the maps (green/orange/red) for congestion and the Traffic button gets you the closest traffic restrictions (accidents, road closure, etc.)

In the navi mode in the MFD, you also get notification of upcoming traffic slowdown with aprox. distance. Very useful! At least worth the $3.99 per month. Less than a single Latté at Starbucks!

The free service in the US is not costing them too much, less than $200...
post #4 of 66 Old 08-25-2012

Second Vehicle: Still looking
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toggle View Post
It will be for the US only as Sirius Canada is still a mess (not yet merged with XM and unable to find their arse from the ground!) and they don't officially offer the service. In fact, they are totally clueless about it.

What you get is live traffic info on the maps (green/orange/red) for congestion and the Traffic button gets you the closest traffic restrictions (accidents, road closure, etc.)

In the navi mode in the MFD, you also get notification of upcoming traffic slowdown with aprox. distance. Very useful! At least worth the $3.99 per month. Less than a single Latté at Starbucks!

The free service in the US is not costing them too much, less than $200...
Hey Toggle,

How is the traffic service in and outside of Montreal? Will the Nav offer up better options when there is a traffic situation ahead?
post #5 of 66 Old 08-27-2012 Thread Starter

Hey larman2001,

It's pretty good. The only missing major highway is the 15, between the hwy 40 and 20. If you are using the navi, it will warn you of upcoming slowdowns, telling you the distance and if is caused by traffic, an accident or the omnipresent construction site

To answer your question, yes, if the road is completely blocked, it will re-route automatically and you can always as for an alternate route if there is too much traffic.

There at only an handful of T3s TDIs in Montreal. What color is yours?

Toggle
post #6 of 66 Old 08-27-2012

Quote:
Hey larman2001,

It's pretty good. The only missing major highway is the 15, between the hwy 40 and 20. If you are using the navi, it will warn you of upcoming slowdowns, telling you the distance and if is caused by traffic, an accident or the omnipresent construction site

To answer your question, yes, if the road is completely blocked, it will re-route automatically and you can always as for an alternate route if there is too much traffic.

There at only an handful of T3s TDIs in Montreal. What color is yours?

Toggle
That's a pretty important highway, at least for me I'll probably try it in the next few months.

I love that there aren't many around! I was thinking of ordering the Cayenne diesel for September but I prefer the originality of the TDI Mine is a black Execline with the brown interior. How about yours?
post #7 of 66 Old 09-02-2012 Thread Starter

Hi larman2001,

Mine is flint grey/black interior, Exec too. I love the TDI! Quite sporty, tons of torque and with the price of gas theses days, it's great. Around my place, diesel is 20 cent cheaper than the super I had to put in the Tiguan. And yep, there are not too many of us around still, so I do still get a few stares.

I don't use Decarie much so it's not a problem for me. But it's quite cool to have the nav tell you that there is stop&go traffic ahead in X km, or a closed exit for example.
post #8 of 66 Old 09-02-2012

Touareg: 2013 V6 TDI
Quote:
Hi larman2001,

Mine is flint grey/black interior, Exec too. I love the TDI!
Toggle, just about to order this combo. Have any pics to post?
post #9 of 66 Old 09-03-2012

I have had my TDI for three months now and yesterday, all of a sudden the traffic started showing up. Pretty cool.
post #10 of 66 Old 09-03-2012
Touareg Enthusiast

Second Vehicle: is not a VW
Sirius XM is free to everyone this weekend as a special promotion, including traffic. I have a subscription that does not include traffic, but it was nice to have on my drive to the beach this weekend.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode