Club Touareg Forum banner

HPFH failure on Touareg TDI

12K views 49 replies 27 participants last post by  Totoro 
#1 ·
Any of you had an HPFP failure after running out of diesel ?
I am at 3000 of damage and its not over yet....

Thanks

#3 ·
if you ran out of diesel I have no sympathy. It's a touareg, not a Lancia beater.

#5 ·
shouldnt be running the tank under a 1/4 anyway as the fuel is used to cool the fuel pumps.

Ever noticed the first 1/4 dial notches on the fuel gauge are red.

#50 ·
This forum is a great learning resource. I just bought my first diesel and it had less than a 1/4 tank. The dealer offered to fill the tank when I came back to finish the paper work. I asked him if there was enough fuel and he said sure. No problem. I drove it down to where it said Range 10 miles and he filled it with 25 gallons of diesel. He had no idea of what you are talking about or he would have filled it BEFORE letting me take it home.

#7 ·
Surely you guys aren't saying that running out of fuel will result in HPFP failure????

#9 ·
From the looks of things....

Empty tank = US$16,000 mistake

#10 ·
Running out of fuel on a diesel is the worst possible thing you can do. Even before the HPFP technology, running out of diesel meant significant expense in re-priming the fuel system.

Run out of diesel on any modern diesel of any make is a $10K++ mistake. FWIW running the GM and Ford diesel trucks dry will run you $1500 an injector (8 of them) plus the pump (5 grand).

Sorry for you bad luck but its the way it is.

#27 ·
If running out of fuel is such a serious problem and expense, I would think VW engineers would set it up that if the fuel level reached a certain point the engine would shut off. This seems to make so much sense...

#29 ·
If running out of fuel is such a serious problem and expense, I would think VW engineers would set it up that if the fuel level reached a certain point the engine would shut off. This seems to make so much sense...
Yes, of course it makes sense . . . . . to us!

#35 ·
Funny you mention this, when I tow with my pickup I always keep a 5 gallon fuel jug with me. Sometimes you just can't make it to the next stop with the fuel you have (in some remote areas.)

I've used this site in the past to help plan fuel stops. You plug in your origin, destination and fuel range and it'll give you the refuelling options along the way..also gives you a google earth view so you can see what its like to get in and out of the station (very important consideration when towing)

Find The Cheapest Truck Stop - TruckMaster Fuel Finder

#38 ·
For us in the Midwest running biodiesel in our Touaregs, do we need to worry about this fuel pump issue? IL is B20.
The issue with bio isn't lubricity of the diesel, but the quality of the diesel. Bio has the tendency to absorb water, so if there isn't a high turnover of fuel, excess water that has been absorbed into the fuel, in the tanks can damage the pump.

Generally speaking though, good bio would increase the lubricity to the point you don't need to worry.

#39 ·
Good to know. I am able to get non-bio diesel near me but I sometimes get bio at a high-traffic place, Speedway or Thornton's, but only when I need to go there.

#40 ·
Yes, it's the residual ethanol in the transesterification of the biodiesel (% varies tremendously as to producer) that is extremely hydrophilic, which first absorbs moisture, then evaporates, leaving the water in the fuel. This water which will cause the micro-seizure failure of the diesel HP fuel pumps (which are of the "perfect sliding fit", zero clearance, steel on steel, positive displacement type.

#45 ·
HPFP Fail 2011 Diesel Touareg

Guys A Question?

2011 Touareg 25K miles - the tank has never been less than 1/4 full, all regular maintenance is up to date and only buy name brand Diesel, this car is babied....experienced HPFP failure today at 60 mph on the highway, the entire car just shut down, we were lucky we could pull off to the shoulder and out of traffic.

Also lucky that we could find a VW dealer with service open till 8pm on Saturday.

Problem: High Pressure Fuel Pump fail, with metal sprayed in fuel system. Seems to happen frequently, warranty will cover this, but thinking maybe I shouldn't keep this car - any advice?

#46 ·
...thinking maybe I shouldn't keep this car - any advice?
Ask the VW dealer to talk to the VW rep on your behalf. You would like to keep the car but you are concerned about VW safety and reliability. I would push to get the best VW extended warranty available at a good price. I wouldn't ask for it free, but I would expect to get it at least at dealer cost.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.