Club Touareg Forum banner

CO: Has anyone been over Pearl Pass?

4K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  avengerextreme 
#1 ·
Wondering if anyone here has been over Pearl pass from Aspen to Crested Butte here recently?

The GF wants to go to Aspen for her Birthday weekend at the beginning of August and if we're gonna be out there I'd like to try the pass between the two. From what I read it can be difficult in a couple spots but I'd like some first hand information.

I'd be taking my T3 Touareg TDI which is stock except for 265/50R20 Nitto Terra Grapplers. It seemed to do pretty well when I took it to Slaughterhouse Gulch in the Conifer/Bailey area earlier a month or so ago.

Thanks.

#2 ·
Just be aware of your clearance and the fact you don't have low range. I don't know the area, but I have been to some areas in CO that would have me not necessarily wanting to take a T3 through.

#3 ·
Thanks for the heads up.

Yeah I am well aware of the limitations of the T3. If I had a T1/T2 with air I wouldn't even have posted this. I just watched a YouTube video on Pearl Pass and I think I'll be fine for it. I read a jeep post where a guy took his stock Liberty over it, in my eyes that means the Touareg shouldn't have an issue.

#4 ·
rode down through aspen area this weekend. Lincoln Creek for some campsites. it was Umm interesting haha the terrain was rocky and pretty difficult overall... first time I had to use the off road setting which appears to really just control braking.

even on small drops I bottomed out. I should really buy a backup cam and vag com so i can see what's behind me too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#5 ·
You do NOT wish to do Pearl Pass ... it is okay for hiking and bikes ...but I would not even START (from either direction) unless I had Air Suspension ... you'll bottom out and have many other problems ... I know because I have done it and would not go again.

Crested Butte

#6 ·
Thought I would bring this one back from the dead.

Last year I attempted Pearl Pass in my T3 with 265/50R20 Terra Grapplers. Made it through the stream crossing and a few miles up the pass. Got to the area where the switchbacks begin and decided to turn around since I was by myself. Turned out I made the right decision since the top of the pass was still closed off due to a snowfield. Headed back out through Aspen to Basalt and then down to Kebbler Pass. About 5 miles into Kebbler I got a flat tire warning. Decided to ride it out until it was almost flat then pump the tire back up, did that a few times in order to make it out to Crested Butte. Got into Butte and dropped the Treg off at a shop to have the tire repaired. Tire was unrepairable, so ended up having to drive up to Glenwood on the space saver to get a new tire of the correct size for the drive back to denver (with my tail between my legs).

Well now that i have a T2 with Air Suspension I am thinking of giving it another whirl. I have the Terra Grapplers switched to the new ride and with the air suspension I'm not terribly worried about it this year. I also have a full sized spare with another Terra Grappler of the same size and similar tread depth. I am thinking of going out there next weekend with my buddy who has a 5th Gen 4Runner and giving it a whirl. According to BushDucks the trail is open and passable from either direction. So I'm probably gonna attempt Pearl Pass from Aspen to Crested Butte and then Schofield Pass from Crested Butte into Crystal City.

I'll let you guys know how it ends up. Thanks for all the insight.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.