VW Touareg reliability - how does it compare? - Club Touareg Forums
Club Touareg Forums  

Go Back   Club Touareg Forums > Club Touareg Community Forums > Drivers Lounge

Join Forest River Forums Today

Old 03-20-2007   #1
Touareg Enthusiast

VW Touareg reliability - how does it compare?

In late 2005 I started conducting my own reliability research. I'm reporting absolute stats like "times in the shop" that will make the differences between cars much clearer. Iíll also be updating results four times a year, so there will be information on new models sooner.

There's plenty of discussion about how the reliability of a Touareg compares to that of competitors. But there aren't any good numbers out there to enable a precise comparison. I'm going to fix this.

I haven't started collecting data on the Touareg because too few are signed up to help out. In general, though, I've found VW owners to be very interested in this research. The panel currently includes 294 compact VWs and 279 Passats.

To encourage participation, panel members will receive full access to the results free of charge.

Details: Vehicle reliability research

Comments, questions, and suggestions welcome.

Old 05-04-2007   #2
Touareg Enthusiast

2004 model year now halfway to the minimum. Others also getting there.

If anyone wants better reliability info on the Touareg, this is how to make it happen.

Old 05-04-2007   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkaresh
2004 model year now halfway to the minimum. Others also getting there.

If anyone wants better reliability info on the Touareg, this is how to make it happen.
Signed up with both my 2007's. A Touareg and Passat.

08 VR6 Touareg Lux Plus Campanella White with Anthracite leather interior.

My DVD Collection
VdubTX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2007   #4
Touareg Enthusiast

Thank you, I certainly appreciate it.

I've had an excellent response from Passat owners, with more than 300 signed up to help out. Of course, they sell many more Passats than Touaregs, so it's going to be harder to get a sufficient sample of the SUVs.

It can be done, though. I actually have more 2007 Q7s signed up right now than Touaregs for all model years.
Old 07-25-2007   #5
Touareg Enthusiast

The 2004 is now 2/3 of the way to the minimum, and the 2005 is nearly halfway.

Results for nearly 100 other models, including the Audi Q7, next month.
Old 11-07-2007   #6
Touareg Enthusiast

Latest results will be posted tomorrow.

Still need more Touaregs signed up before I can start collecting data on it.

Auto reliability research
Old 12-01-2007   #7
Touareg Enthusiast

Those results posted. Still not enough owners signed up to include the Tuoareg in that survey.

But Touareg owners can participate in other areas. In response to requests, I've added a Common Auto Repairs Database (CARDb) to the site.

Currently it's just possible to add common repairs to the database. When the database has been populated, owners will be asked to report whether or not their car has actually had these problems. So we can find out how common "common repairs" actually are.

My suspicion: usually less common than people think.

The form includes a field for a forum thread URL, so people can be directed here for thorough discussions if there is a thread discussing the repair. I hope this will help make more people aware of this excellent forum in addition to providing more details about the repair.

Common Auto Repairs Database (CARDb)
Old 12-01-2007   #8

Touareg: 2013 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: too many to list
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkaresh View Post
Interesting statement. I agree that the information may be valuable to anyone wanting to potentially purchase a Touareg...although in terms of any continuous improvement cycle, this type of survey is too slow and too anecdotal to be of any use to any car company (other than possibly for marketing use). Besides, people who don't have many issues won't bother...those that do will sign up.

VW pays for warranty repairs and they are the ones who see which parts/components are most in need of improvement...and they see this in real time. It is in their best interest to redesign these components asap to most quickly improve their reputation/save themselves repair costs. (hence the technical bulletins/product update campaigns/recalls etc).

Not being discouraging, but I just think its a bit bold to assume a consumer survey of a non-random population will help in a redesign of parts or ultimately improve the reliability of any vehicle.
'09 TDI, '07 V8 FSI, '04 V10 TDI, '04 VR6
nickm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2007   #9
Touareg Enthusiast

It sounds like you might have misread that sentence, perhaps reading "better reliability" rather than "better reliability information." At least I don't think I said anything about continuous improvement or the redesign of parts.

As for the other part of your statement, people often think this--when they haven't taken the time to consider TrueDelta's unique research design.

Specifically, you suggest that only people with problems to complain about will sign up and participate. But unlike other surveys, people cannot report past problems on this one unless they are very recent. The survey always only covers the previous month. Instead, owners are asked about their experience AFTER signing up, with a response needed four times a year.

While a random sample with 100% participation would be better, such a thing also never occurs. This is the next best thing.

The results bear this out. Within the panel overall, a large majority of members have yet to report a repair. In any given month, about one in ten members reports a repair trip. To me, this seems about right.

I also suspect that the results are fresher than you're aware. They're updated quarterly, and promptly. The current results reflect experiences as recently as the end of September. And in February we'll know about experiences through the end of this year.

Thanks for helping me stay on my toes
Old 12-27-2007   #10
Touareg Enthusiast

Next set of results in February. The main survey still doesn't include the Touareg, but the number enrolled has been getting closer to the minimum.

Auto reliability research

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.