Vibration - highway Speeds - carrier Bearing - Page 2 - Club Touareg Forums
Club Touareg Forums  

Go Back   Club Touareg Forums > Club Touareg Community Forums > Drivers Lounge

Join Forest River Forums Today

Old 02-02-2012   #11
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2008 V6
Second Vehicle: Can't afford one
I had some Goodyears that did the same thing,they found bad belts in the tire.The tire would be in balance on the machine,then when you drove it the belts shifted and it was out of balance,no cure except new tires.I'am not saying yours is the same problem,but a tip.

Old 02-03-2012   #12
Touareg Enthusiast

Try to note the rpm range and what gear you're in when this happens. My '05 V8 has a distinct vibration at very light throttle between 1800 and 2500 rpm in 6th gear. I've tried 6 sets of tires and driven 3 similarly equipped vehicles and was able to replicate it every time. VW even acknowledged it and it's been diagnosed as "operating as designed".

Old 04-12-2012   #13
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2006 V10 TDI
Carrier bearing went. Must have been the problem. I dont put a ton of miles on the vehicle. That is why it must have taken a while to go.

Estimate from VW dealership is $1800. Lucky I have VW Real Driver. With this repair, I have officially made money on my VW Real Driver contract.

2 Repairs for a total of $4000.
2004 - Porsche 911 - 40th Anniversary #693
2008 - VW Jetta - Wolfsburg
2006 - VW Touareg V10 TDI
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Previous Cars:
99 - CLK 430 Coupe
01 - GS 430
01 - VW Jetta - GLS
04 - A4 1.8T Quattro
05 - VW Touareg V8
ryangambrill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2012   #14
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2013 V6 FSI
Second Vehicle: Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by fincher View Post
When I have had the issue it is only at highway speeds. Definitely have the tires re-balanced...a slight difference will only show up at highway speeds.

This has happened to me right after a tire rotation.
Mine is 70-80mph. Also intermittent occurences. I'm assuming it has to do w/ air pressure amongst the four tires as well as a balance issue.

We've been going from high 80's to low 30's temps....so they've been fluctuating a good bit.

It's a slight vibration in the steering wheel...and if held somewhat firmly, goes away. Other times, I can let go and there is no vibration at any speed.

This is full auto, so 6th gear at those speeds/vibrations.

I have no "noise" at all with this vibration...
Old 04-12-2012   #15
OC(Treg)D Sufferer

Touareg: 2008 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryangambrill View Post
Light vibration but still noticeable. Took to my dealer. They recognized the vibration but said they were unable to pinpoint the cause.

Is there a way to better diagnose the cause?

Dealer recommended giving it more time and returning when it gets worse.

Advice?
It looks like your symptoms were confirmed..

This is exactly what I identified to my Dealer, and they diagnosed it as the first signs of a tail shaft carrier bearing failure. It was replaced under extended warranty. My car had done 106,000 km at the time ( 66,000 miles). Started as a light shudder at highway speed.

Would be worthwhile for other to think of carrier bearing rather than being side tracked by "wheel balance".

Stuart.....
2008 V6 TDI, Air Suspension, Paddle Shifter, RNS510, Leather Seats, HID BI Xenons, 4 Zone, Sunroof, Towbar & Genuine Trailer Module, Kufatec Fiscon Bluetooth. Retrofitted OEM Reversing Camera, Retrofitted Factory Front Fog Lamps Xenon 3000K, Redarc Brake Controller, Window Tint, Icom ic-208H. T1 Door Warning Lamps, T1 Under Seat Drawer, Alloy Skid Plate

2006 2.0 FSI Turbo Jetta RNS510, 2 Zone, Sunroof, 9W3 Bluetooth. Reversing Camera, leather Seats, Paddle shifter, DSG.
hedditch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2012   #16

Touareg: 2005 V10 TDI
Second Vehicle: Still looking
I recently bought a V10tdi with an intermittent vibration problem. Have read all the threads on carrier bearings, tyres and roof rack but it turned out to be a faulty injector and speed sensor.
Just got it back and it's running perfectly....if it's this the diagnostic check should find it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.