Go Back   Club Touareg Forums > Club Touareg Community Forums > Drivers Lounge

Join Forest River Forums Today

Old 02-08-2013   #11
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2005 V10 TDI
Second Vehicle: Still looking
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeporsche
I have a 2004 V6 Touareg. I just bought it used last week. I have a brand new Porsche Cayenne V6 ordered. Our delivery date is April 24. Here's my question. What will be the difference in the vehicles? Other than cosmetic.
Sorry, but the first-buy-then-ask mentality usually doesn't work very well...

Old 02-08-2013   #12
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2008 V6
Second Vehicle: Other
The Q5 is built on a different platform (MLP), which is shared with the A4 / A5 (technically the B8.
The forthcoming Q3 is built on the Tiguan chassis, which is shared with the Golf, A3, Jetta etc.

As stated above, the Touareg / Cayenne / Q7 all share the same platform - 7L. I believe that they all transitioned to the new "updated" chassis around the same time (2011 model year). This was when they dropped the low speed transfer case and a bunch of other stuff to trim 500lbs off the curb weight - increasing fuel effiency. So, if you are comparing a 2009 Q7 to a 2009 Touareg to a 2009 Cayenne, they are quite similar. But when you compare them across generations, it's like comparing a T2 to T3 - very different.

Obviously many changes to powertrains over the years as well - Fuel Injection to FSI, different V10, V6 and R5 diesel, etc.

Hope that helps!

Old 02-08-2013   #13

Touareg: 2004 V6
Second Vehicle: Still looking
Thanks for the helpful info. I guess I will be learning a new vehicle after all when the new Cayenne comes in.
Oh well, I only buy VW products anyway. I'm sure they'll both give me great years along the way. My vehicle is the Touareg, my wife's is the Cayenne. They're perfect for our family.
Old 02-08-2013   #14

Touareg: 2013 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: too many to list
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeporsche View Post
I was hoping they would share some chassis parts. Don't they both use a VR6? I know the displacement is different, but would alternators and basics share? Hmmmm... As I stated in another thread, this is my second Touareg. My last one was the V8.
I can definitely feel the beefier vehicle is the Touareg. I absolutely love mine. I live in Eastern North Carolina 30 miles from the Outer Banks. I'm hoping to take it on the sand this year! Thanks for your help. I love this forum. It was very helpful with my last Touareg as I replaced my AC Blower Motor. I want to be more involved with this forum.
In the 1st gen (04-10) the Cayenne and Touareg shares the same chassis, doors, transmission, brakes, suspension, numerous small parts (kessys, fan motors, 4 zone systems, air suspension systems, etc) and drivetrain (tranmissions, diffs, driveshafts) they also share some engines (3.2 VR6 in the first three years and later the 3.6 VR6). They are built on the same assembly line in the same plant. They are both equally capable on and off road as they share the same AWD system. Save for different interior/front end/back end styling, they are the same vehicle.

In the 2nd gen (11+) the story is the same, except the AWD system has changed, and they share a few more engines (the VR6, the 3.0T hybrid, the 3.0 TDI). Save for different interior/front end/back end styling, they are the same vehicle.

One is very hard pressed to tell the difference between a touareg and cayenne when driving down the road with eyes closed. The Cayenne is set up for slightly more rear bias - which personally I find would make it too tail happy.

The only way I'd go for a Cayenne over a Toaureg is if I was after and engine not available in the T-reg (ie: the Cayenne Turbo). or if I needed some of the special order options available only on the Porsche (ie: colored seatbelts)
'09 TDI, '07 V8 FSI, '04 V10 TDI, '04 VR6
nickm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2013   #15
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: Still looking
I don't own Cayenne but I know NA models can be specified with air suspension and TDI.

2009 we got one of just released NA Audi Q5 3.2L Quattro, drove 3 years and 70k miles before trading it in to 2012 Touareg TDI.

Audi Q5 is smaller than Touareg and wife who sits on backseat with our kiddo on her seat, noticed Touareg is quieter as Audi had its "sporty" exhaust note.

Audi interior is more premium and haves more electric bling bling than Touareg but on the other hand, Touareg haves some special features Audi doesn't have. Trunk open/close with keyfob and rear door safety locks (so kids can't open from inside) control on drivers door.

Headlight pattern on Touareg is much better than Audi no matter both is HID.

Audi haves 2 rear fogs while Touareg doesn't have any.

Audi Q4 tow rating is 4400 lbs while Touareg is 7700 lbs.

2013 Audi Q5 is supposed to be available with 3L V6 TDI and as it's lighter than Touareg, Q5 should get slighly better mileage.

Would I buy Audi again? If we wanted to downsize and I wouldn't need to tow trailer then I would buy Audi Q5 TDI in a heartbeat.

Tiguan is FWD based Haldex system where rear wheels come along when wheel revolutions difference is detected and if Q3 is based in Tiguan then it will be also FWD based system.

Q5 and Q7 is mechanical Torsen middle differential with 40/60 rear biased power distribution.
Old 02-08-2013   #16
Touareg Addict

Touareg: 2004 R5 TDI
Second Vehicle: is jealous
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickm View Post
In the 2nd gen (11+) the story is the same, except the AWD system has changed, and they share a few more engines (the VR6, the 3.0T hybrid, the 3.0 TDI).
And the 4.2 V8 TDI, which will be in the cayenne and panamera..
1998-Land Rover Freelander 2.0 Diesel
Touareg MNE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2013   #17
Touareg Addict

Second Vehicle: 2004 V8
Send a message via AIM to rinaic Send a message via Skype™ to rinaic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Touareg MNE View Post
And the 4.2 V8 TDI, which will be in the cayenne and panamera..
Not in the US
rinaic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2013   #18
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2008 V8
Second Vehicle: is not a VW
Quote:
Originally Posted by kleinbus View Post
Q5 and Q7 is 40/60 rear biased power distribution.
So is the Cayenne where the Touareg is 50/50.
KEYLESS ENTRY/PUSH BUTTON START
LEISTUNG CUSTOM EXHAUST AND CAT BYPASS
----------------------------
2008 AUDI A4 S-LINE
----------------------------
2004 TOUAREG V8 (SOLD)
Perry01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2013   #19

Second Vehicle: too many to list
I find the 50/50 bias works best in the real world. 40/60 is too tail happy in snow
'09 TDI, '07 V8 FSI, '04 V10 TDI, '04 VR6
nickm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2013   #20
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2006 V8
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickm View Post
The only way I'd go for a Cayenne over a Toaureg is if I was after and engine not available in the T-reg (ie: the Cayenne Turbo). or if I needed some of the special order options available only on the Porsche (ie: colored seatbelts)
...and air suspension, four-zone, heated windscreen, for me.

2013 | CC VR6 4MOTION EXECUTIVE | LAMIN-X FOG COVER

2006 | 4.2 | AIR SUSP | REAR LOCKER | 4-ZONE | CONTINENTAL DWS | LLUMAR TINT

|
4POINT2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.