Touareg in the Snow - Page 2 - Club Touareg Forums
Club Touareg Forums  

Go Back   Club Touareg Forums > Club Touareg Community Forums > Drivers Lounge

Join Forest River Forums Today

Old 02-13-2010   #11

Touareg: Still looking
If I'm not mistaken, Les Schwab pioneered the use of walnut shells in snow tires. The company sold recaps that had them embedded in the rubber. Plus, the rubber compound was fairly soft so it would hold the slippery road better than a hard rubber compound.
From what I hear, they don't do a lot of recapping on passenger car tires anymore because they sell new tires almost as cheap as recaps.
Schwab does a lot of sipping on regular passenger car/pick-up tires at his stores now. What that entails is making a whole lotta cuts about half an inch apart, about a half inch deep, clear across the tread face. I have mine done when I buy new tires and it costs about $10 bucks a tire.

FYI

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.