Lessees/Former Lessees: Are you satisfied with the settlement - Club Touareg Forums
View Poll Results: Are you satisfied with the settlement?
Yes, very satisfied 0 0%
More satisfied than dissatisfied 2 28.57%
Not sure 0 0%
More dissatisfied than satisfied 1 14.29%
No, very dissatisfied 4 57.14%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

1Likes
  • 1 Post By RobL

post #1 of 10 Old 02-15-2017 Thread Starter
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2011 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: Other
Lessees/Former Lessees: Are you satisfied with the settlement

Please mark the poll and state your reasons in this thread.

2011 TDI Exec Silver/Saddle Brown -- 74K Miles
2015 Q5 TDI Cuvée Silver/Chestnut Brown -- 10K Miles
2012 Chevy Silverado 2500 V8 Crew Cab
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 02-15-2017
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: Still looking
Second Vehicle: Still looking
Ooops, voted in the Gen 2 poll. See my answer there.
post #3 of 10 Old 02-15-2017

Touareg: 2015 V6 TDI
Mostly satisfied here. Here is my reasoning. I do not technically own this vehicle, I rent it from VW. I do not lose any resale or trade value on the car. If I don't want it at the end, I can turn it in. This is $3,200 to me and I love my Touareg and still do. This will have been $4,200 given to be for an emission scandal I don't particularly care about, sorry but that's my truth, without typing 6000 words on my politics. My lease had over $8,000 in 'dealer contribution', making the 'purchase' price under $50,000. With the VW money, this has turned the sticker price of the car under $46,000, more than $12,000 of MSRP. I still plan on buying the car at the end of my term, that was my plan when I leased the vehicle, and it still is. (I'm already past allotted miles with 17 months to go, but with purchase plans do not care as I planned to put close to 60,000 on it in the 3 years) My dream settlement would have been a lease termination, not cash and a deal on the beautiful 2016 reef blue that is sitting on the lot (love the color, want cooled seats). The TDI buyer is a very particular set and ultimately the scandal will not likely devalue the resale on these vehicles.
fincher likes this.

2004 GMC Envoy "Rusty"(Sold), 2013 Jetta TDI (Buyback, 2017 MB GLC on order)

post #4 of 10 Old 02-15-2017

Second Vehicle: VW 2
I pretty much share your sentiments, RobL. While I hope, like everyone else, that a fix has minimal effect on performance, mpg, etc., I love the vehicle and plan to buy it out at lease end regardless. The $3200 in compensation is fine with me. I can put it toward that buyout. And who knows, we may have some leverage to negotiate a sweet deal on the residual price as I'm pretty sure VW is not itching to take back the leased vehicles. Like others, I've researched all the alternatives and am not convinced I would enjoy anything else as much. Aside from the lack of a full-sized spare, this car is perfect for me and what I need it for.
post #5 of 10 Old 02-16-2017
Touareg Enthusiast

So, you would be happy to give up 3+ mpg, torque and horsepower, and deal with more noise for $3200? Assuming they do not negotiate down the residual, you may be absorbing reduced resale value as well.

The $1200 from Bosch is fine given their limited role, but the $2,000 from VW is not likely to cover your losses unless fuel prices drop and stay low for a long time.
post #6 of 10 Old 02-16-2017

I am a lessee on a 2015 tdi Sport with technology. I currently have 40000 miles+ on the vehicle. I get 29 mpg combined mileage according to display and have got as high as 34 mpg driving interstate 70 to east coast at the speed limit. I towed a 6000#, 25' RV from Michigan to Kansas City using a WDH with a head wind and got 14 mpg. This is by far the best vehicle I have ever owned or driven. It makes me smile every time I get into it and it is a beast when used for towing, that tdi is a perfect match for this Veedub!

I have two years left on this lease, I have always planned on buying out the lease. I can buy out the lease today for $38000 or at the end for $22000. I am thrilled with this settlement. When I leased this vehicle the agreed price was $45000. We were given $1000 loyalty cards and with dieselgate maybe another $7 to $8000. That makes this a $36 to $37000 diesel vehicle.

I care about the environment, but come on, I did not base my purchase of this vehicle on how clean it is. I based it on looks, performance and how well it is built. So two years from now I am still going to be driving this fine machine and it reads like most of the members on this forum will be driving something else. That is great, with less Touareg TDI available, the more valuable they will become.

Thanks VW, you got caught and I get free compensation for doing nothing. And even if the fix knocks MPG down, it is still a diesel with great fuel economy compared to other vehicles with the same capabilities.
post #7 of 10 Old 02-16-2017

I'm very confident the fix will not have nearly the performance degradation of 3mpg, noise, big power loss. If so it would unlike be be approved and/or be back in court. I cannot lose on the residual, I don't one the car, it is a lease. If such a fix DID really screw up the performance, I would turn it in at the end of the lease, let VW deal with the residual.
post #8 of 10 Old 02-16-2017
Touareg Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by rf4137 View Post
I am a lessee on a 2015 tdi Sport with technology. I currently have 40000 miles+ on the vehicle. I get 29 mpg combined mileage according to display and have got as high as 34 mpg driving interstate 70 to east coast at the speed limit. I towed a 6000#, 25' RV from Michigan to Kansas City using a WDH with a head wind and got 14 mpg. This is by far the best vehicle I have ever owned or driven. It makes me smile every time I get into it and it is a beast when used for towing, that tdi is a perfect match for this Veedub!

I have two years left on this lease, I have always planned on buying out the lease. I can buy out the lease today for $38000 or at the end for $22000. I am thrilled with this settlement. When I leased this vehicle the agreed price was $45000. We were given $1000 loyalty cards and with dieselgate maybe another $7 to $8000. That makes this a $36 to $37000 diesel vehicle.

I care about the environment, but come on, I did not base my purchase of this vehicle on how clean it is. I based it on looks, performance and how well it is built. So two years from now I am still going to be driving this fine machine and it reads like most of the members on this forum will be driving something else. That is great, with less Touareg TDI available, the more valuable they will become.

Thanks VW, you got caught and I get free compensation for doing nothing. And even if the fix knocks MPG down, it is still a diesel with great fuel economy compared to other vehicles with the same capabilities.
How are you coming up with the $7-8 thousand figure for dieselgate? It is $3200 fixed including the Bosch money.
post #9 of 10 Old 02-16-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by m-fine View Post
How are you coming up with the $7-8 thousand figure for dieselgate? It is $3200 fixed including the Bosch money.
Vehicle Value $46,000 Vehicle Clean Retail Value $50,925 State & local tax rate (state of registration) 6.69% (Utah)
Lessee Restitution
½ amount by which Vehicle Clean Retail Value exceeds Vehicle Value $2,462.50 ½ tax (6.69% of $50,925) + $1,703.44 Fixed Component + $4,364.00 Lessee Restitution $8,529.94
post #10 of 10 Old 02-16-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by rf4137 View Post
Vehicle Value $46,000 Vehicle Clean Retail Value $50,925 State & local tax rate (state of registration) 6.69% (Utah)
Lessee Restitution
½ amount by which Vehicle Clean Retail Value exceeds Vehicle Value $2,462.50 ½ tax (6.69% of $50,925) + $1,703.44 Fixed Component + $4,364.00 Lessee Restitution $8,529.94
That is only if VW doesn't come up with an approved fix. $3200 with Bosch is what you get otherwise.

2004 V8, then 2005 V8, then 2008 V8, now 2015 TDI

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode