If not the T3 TDI, then what? - Club Touareg Forums
 72Likes

post #1 of 319 Old 07-20-2016 Thread Starter
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2012 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: 2015 V6 TDI
If not the T3 TDI, then what?

Like others on here, my wife and I both love our T3 TDI's and won't get rid of them unless a deal comes that is just too good to pass up.

Now, I have been thinking, 'What would I get if I had to or wanted something else?' and only two choices come up. I'd consider a Jeep Grand Cherokee with an EcoDiesel. I thought about the Ram 1500 ED but I don't need the size of the thing. I have also thought about a GMC Colorado and the only reason I consider either as I need the roughly 7,700 lbs each can tow.

What would you consider if you needed a 7,700 tow capacity and wished for comparable MPG that the T3 TDI has.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 319 Old 07-20-2016
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2016 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: Still looking
Keep the T3!

I looked at Grand Cherokee briefly, but UK magazine road tests were critical of it's on-road ride comfort, handling and general reliability record.

As an aside, the 3.0 V6 diesel in the Grand Cherokee is a good one - originally developed by VM Motori for Cadillac, at a time when GM owned half of VM, it stayed with VM when GM went bankrupt and sold their share of VM to Fiat, along with with their rights to use the engine - the VM engine has proved an excellent replacement in the Grand Cherokee of the Mercedes-Benz diesel it used previously.

2015 (16MY) Touareg SE 258 bhp
post #3 of 319 Old 07-21-2016
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2009 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: Other
Friends don't let friends drive a JGC....

Check this video

-Bill-
'09 VW Touareg 2 TDI Tow Hitch
'11 Silverado Duramax Diesel SB Crew LTZ
post #4 of 319 Old 07-21-2016
Touareg Enthusiast

Second Vehicle: 2010 V6 TDI
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnPass View Post
Friends don't let friends drive a JGC....

Check this video
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zaYFLb8WMGM
That is the 2012-2013 grand cherokee. The OP was talking about an EcoDiesel Grand Cherokee which is only 2014+. The 2014's didn't have a problem passing the moose test.

Updated 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee aces same controversial moose test it failed in 2012 [w/video] - Autoblog

2012 Dark Flint Metallic Touareg TDI Exec
2010 Sapphire Blue Pearl Touareg TDI Lux Limited
post #5 of 319 Old 07-21-2016
Touareg Enthusiast

I spec'd out a 2016 JGC ecodiesel online at about $53K so it's not cheap. Then I looked for inventory and the closest match was over 700 miles away. Still, all of them I found have 20" wheels on them which is a no-go for me.

I'll look for a low-miles used Touareg when this one dies, if available. If not, I might go back to a truck. I would seriously look at the Colorado/Canyon 2.8 duramax. It's a lot cheaper and gives me something I can haul stuff with easier.
post #6 of 319 Old 07-21-2016
Touareg Enthusiast

I had considered a JGC ED as well before I found my T2. If you build an Overland 4x4 model you can opt for the off-road adventure 2 package and that changes the wheels to 18" instead of 20". They ain't cheap though, $54k spec'd out with 2 speed t-case, air suspension, center and rear lockers, diesel and technology package.

post #7 of 319 Old 07-21-2016
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2013 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: is jealous
Garage
The problem with the Colorado / Canyon for me is even in it's shortest configuration (which isn't even available with the diesel), it still won't really fit in my garage. It is tight enough in there with the Treg. Parallel parking spots could also be harder to find.

Fortunately I only tow a max of about 3300lb and more typically 2700lb in my 6x12 v-nose trailer, so I could get by with something smaller (diesel or gas F-PACE or 3.0 turbo Q5). Also I could go with a a used Cayenne S and have some fun with my vehicle when it isn't towing. Also I could just ditch the trailer and get a van to haul my motorcycle and gear in or just put the gear in an SUV or van and tow an open trailer with the bike on it. I suppose a gas Treg could work too.

Lots of options for me, but for those looking for an SUV to tow more than a 6000lb trailer and get good mileage, not a lot of choices out there other than the JGC if the VW / Audi / Porsche TDIs go away. Even the Colorado / Canyon top out at 7000lb. If you are towing loads in that range, might as well get the RAM 1500 diesel. It isn't really much bigger, but will tow that load much easier. A GLS, Q7 or Cayanne S would obviously do the job but fuel economy will take a big hit, not to mention the purchase price. Although if you can avoid the options sheet, a Q7 with the 3.0 turbo isn't that expensive relative to a Treg diesel.

2013 TDI Lux. Northern Virginia, USA. 2007 Aprilia Tuono, 2003 Yamaha R1, 2001 Mustang GT Conv, 2009 A4 3.2
post #8 of 319 Old 07-21-2016
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2016 V6 TDI
Quote:
Originally Posted by philthyphil View Post
That is the 2012-2013 grand cherokee. The OP was talking about an EcoDiesel Grand Cherokee which is only 2014+. The 2014's didn't have a problem passing the moose test.

Updated 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee aces same controversial moose test it failed in 2012 [w/video] - Autoblog
Grand Cherokee has always had a diesel option for overseas markets.

2015 (16MY) Touareg SE 258 bhp
post #9 of 319 Old 07-21-2016
Touareg Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Grouse View Post
Grand Cherokee has always had a diesel option for overseas markets.

But the OP is in the USA where there has not always been a diesel option. He also specifically mentioned the EcoDiesel which was only available in 2014 and newer.

post #10 of 319 Old 07-21-2016
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2011 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: Other
Looking for the perfect Allroad, but my needs have changed to where I no longer need a vehicle as large as the Touareg. Fuel economy between the 2.0T in the Allroad and the TDI in the Touareg is about the same. The downside is the Allroad requires premium.

2013 Allroad Premium Plus: daily driver
2011 Touareg TDI Lux: parked, waiting on VW | H&R lowering springs | 21" Cayenne Turbo S wheels | OE LED taillights | LED interior/puddle/plate lights | stainless pedals and door sills | OEM headlight covers | Llumar AT35GN front window tint | APR software | VCDS tweaks
2005 Jetta 1.8T GLI: summer car | ever so slightly modified |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode